Look away now petrol Macan owners!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

That’s exactly why I didn’t trade mine in a few months after purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.

macview19

Post by macview19 »

My original Macan purchased 20th March 2017 cost £60000 OTR but after only 5 months with only 900 odd miles yes 900 miles trade in price
£54000 loss £6000. Ordered GTS cost £ 66121.00 so £66121 minus £54000= £12121 for the GTS and in the present circumstances I considered myself quite fortunate. The Macan SD was an unfortunate choice when ordered in November 2016 because shortly after Lockdown my driving requirements changed and would have been better to cancel the SD and reordered the GTS. Yes lost £6000 on the SD but delighted with the GTS
and as the saying goes you pay for your mistakes sometimes
macview19

Post by macview19 »

Should have pointed out handed back my Macan SD in August 2017 to the Porsche Centre but had to wait until December 2017 for the GTS
martinw

Post by martinw »

MCDK wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm Engine noise similar on start up ...... Ummmmm are you sure about that one?? They are totally different.
That’s exactly what I was thinking 🤔
martinw

Post by martinw »

VanB wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:53 pm SAC1 that is probably the most bizarre comparisons I’ve ever read and suspect a diesel driver is trying to drive a petrol engine like a diesel.

These 2 cars are night and day different in so many ways that your comments don’t really make sense as your inference is that there is little difference between the two.

The low down torque of the diesel makes it very easy at lower speeds but it also plateaus very early in the Rev range. The diesel I drove also suffered from massive and totally unacceptable turbo lag from a standing start.

Anyway always interesting to hear a contentious perspective so thank you for posting your thoughts. Genuinely!

That’s exactly what I was thinking 🤔 (2)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

macview19 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:48 pm ...and as the saying goes you pay for your mistakes sometimes...

Very true, macview. I've read the book, seen the movie and got the T-shirt! :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

martinw wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 pm
MCDK wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 pm Engine noise similar on start up ...... Ummmmm are you sure about that one?? They are totally different.
That’s exactly what I was thinking 🤔
Yes - from the inside of the car that was my opinion. start-up and drive off. Not sitting their revving the nuts off it or standing outside the car.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

martinw wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 pm
VanB wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:53 pm SAC1 that is probably the most bizarre comparisons I’ve ever read and suspect a diesel driver is trying to drive a petrol engine like a diesel.

These 2 cars are night and day different in so many ways that your comments don’t really make sense as your inference is that there is little difference between the two.

The low down torque of the diesel makes it very easy at lower speeds but it also plateaus very early in the Rev range. The diesel I drove also suffered from massive and totally unacceptable turbo lag from a standing start.

Anyway always interesting to hear a contentious perspective so thank you for posting your thoughts. Genuinely!

That’s exactly what I was thinking 🤔 (2)
No - if you read my original post you will see that I currently drive both a performance petrol and an S Diesel. I am also a named driver on and use my son's 911S.

I did not feel that they were" night and day different", quite the contrary.

Put the SD in SPORT setting and there's very little turbo lag. The performance certainly does not plateau within the UK speed limit conditions. I haven't driven it on the unrestricted German autobahns, but had no problem keeping up with or ahead of most high speed drivers when using my 530d there. So I doubt that the SD would be any different.

As I said in my original post ".....are my subjective thoughts" and "...in conclusion I just couldn't justify the extra cost as I saw little advantage."

Have you driven a GTS and SD in a back to back extended test drive? I did, fully expecting on to place an order for a brand new GTS at the end of the test. But it was not significantly different IMO - just that in MY opinion.

For what its worth the SE at the OPC said that he has had customers go from diesel to petrol, some from petrol to diesel and a few from diesel to petrol and then back to diesel. All Macan versions are the best.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
norfolk & idea

Post by norfolk & idea »

SAC1 do you ever post on Piston Heads? No? Good job! Some rather rude keyboard warriors on there.

And what's a 911S?

Cheers, Paul.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

There is a time to give up on trying to make a point lol.