Look away now petrol Macan owners!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Having read on here about the petrol powered Macans, I took the opportunity today to take out a brand new GTS for an extended test drive.

I drove my 2017 SD the 35 miles to collect the GTS on B and A-roads plus the M4. I then drove the GTS over a similar route for a direct comparison. Here are my subjective thoughts:

# Engine noise = similar from inside the cabin on start-up and while driving
# PSE fun for a short while, but too loud for most journeys
# Acceleration = GTS faster above 70 mph, but it felt slower between 30 to 70 mph (where most of my GB driving is done)
# Road holding & handling = similar even though the GTS had Air and PASM and mine just PASM
# Braking performance = similar
# 18-way seats = harder to get in the car because of high bolster edge and no more comfortable than the standard seats in my SD
# LEDs similar to Xenons
# BOSE sounds very similar to the standard fit in IMHO
# 22.5 mpg (GTS) versus 36.6 mpg (SD) over a similar mileage and route

My son, a 911 owner, came along and broadly conquered.

Our second car is a new model Leon FR 1.8i PDK petrol and I am in no way anti-petrol engines. Perhaps with an extended driving duration over a few days, then the subtleties of the GTS with its higher BHP, might win me over....but I doubt it. The sales exec did not accompany us and so on this 2-hour GTS drive was able to drive it like I owned it! I had an open mind about the petrol option, but in conclusion I just couldn't justify the extra cost as I saw little advantage.

The SE said they are not expecting deliveries of the facelift Macan until late 2018, with the GTS following sometime in 2019.

It looks like I will wait for the hybrid / electric MkII Macan, in the following years and in the meantime continue to fully enjoy my superb SD.
Last edited by SAC1 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

That takes a little of my itch away.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks for posting, Steve. An interesting take on a GTS test drive.

Am just waiting for comments from Macan GTS drivers, including Paul and Steve W. ;)

Wishing you continued happy SD Macaneering into the New Year...! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Good to hear your experiences.

I test drove a Macan SD and a Macan S and I thought their power delivery were completely different. SD had good torque but lots of gear changes, S revved a lot more. Basically one drove like a diesel and one a petrol! Not to say either was better or worse, but I would never say they were similar.

I bought a GTS but that's not really the point.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Engine noise similar on start up ...... Ummmmm are you sure about that one?? They are totally different.
VanB

Post by VanB »

SAC1 that is probably the most bizarre comparisons I’ve ever read and suspect a diesel driver is trying to drive a petrol engine like a diesel.

These 2 cars are night and day different in so many ways that your comments don’t really make sense as your inference is that there is little difference between the two.

The low down torque of the diesel makes it very easy at lower speeds but it also plateaus very early in the Rev range. The diesel I drove also suffered from massive and totally unacceptable turbo lag from a standing start.

Anyway always interesting to hear a contentious perspective so thank you for posting your thoughts. Genuinely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Photos of GTS evaluated. I liked the so easy to clean carbon sideblades. :D

IMG_20171228_105957_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171228_110009.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I have a SD and for many reasons it is absolutely fine for our needs. For no justifiable, objective reason, I’d still prefer a GTS and should have bought one from the outset as like for like spec only £2.5k different. Was just a leadtime thing for me. After lockdown and while waiting for delivery, GTS leadtimes came right down. Just one of those things.

Actually, my car has a damaged wheel, so may be worth just buying a 911! [emoji848]

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
VanB

Post by VanB »

[emoji23][emoji3][emoji3][emoji106]

Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col M

Post by Col M »

Sorry, a 911 is only worth one Macan wheel? 🤣
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble