More Diesel Dismalness

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Custard

Post by Custard »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42615559

The drip, drip, drip of negative news isn't stopping.

Here's what I find puzzling though,

1. SUV's are growing in popularity, that's the type of car that people increasingly want
2. The size and weight of SUV's means diesel engines are crucial for the majority of owners
3. People are turning away from diesels

I just can't square that circle.

VanB

Post by VanB »

There isn't a problem with Euro6 diesels currently but I also read that the diesel market is on its way to only 15% of the market which I find bizarre.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

If the Government want to pay me £65k scrappage allowance, I will get out of mine for them!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
John_M

Post by John_M »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am There isn't a problem with Euro6 diesels currently but I also read that the diesel market is on its way to only 15% of the market which I find bizarre.
A study where someone probably put in the figures from this year and projected the line to 2025 at which point it crossed the 15% line - thus giving them the headline to get attention and push their message and get further funding, or maybe I am just too cynical about education and the publish at all costs mentality that has been pushed on it.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I read that JLR have written to HM Gov about the negative reporting surrounding diesels. Of the 530k vehicles they make, 20% stay in the UK and sales are being crippled. They are talking possible job losses etc. I live near(ish)/know guys in the Solihull plant and it is a real concern.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

Surely JLR could switch production to petrol, if that’s what their customers want.

The way I see it is that many people were enticed to diesels through tax breaks etc when diesels were not the right engines for their driving requirements and the current mood will rebalance that somewhat. Ultimately both diesel and petrol will be phased out.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Paul

Post by Paul »

But how will Europe meet its’ CO2 targets if petrol engines (re) become the dominant force?
One of the main reasons diesel fuel was incentivised by governments was because of its’ performance relative to petrol with regard to green house gasses.

(I think I posted this link elsewhere, for what it’s worth....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 30031.html)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

I really do blame the politicians for the total mess we find our self in and it is really up to them to get us out of it - heaven help us!!!!!

Diesels have been bought by people who really should not have bought them as they do short journeys or chug through city traffic - but they are the ideal fuel choice for many users and vehicles. You basically have a choice Polar bears or babies which one do you want to kill!!!

Both Petrol & Diesel have been put on notice by the politicians without any viable alternative for most people as currently it is only the Tesla that offers a reasonable alternative - yet its cost rules that out for a mass market car.

Its a total mess and with the current headless chickens in power there is very little chance of a sensible strategy being developed in the foreseeable future.
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Taxing people into small petrol engined vehicles is the only short term strategy that might work. But not going to happen in the lifetime of this government. Thank goodness :)
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Paul wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 pm But how will Europe meet its’ CO2 targets if petrol engines (re) become the dominant force?
One of the main reasons diesel fuel was incentivised by governments was because of its’ performance relative to petrol with regard to green house gasses.
Well if you look at medium and long term CO2 targets, according to the recent and credible MIT study on lifetime vehicle emissions, only a complete switch to BEVs gets close to meeting those targets and even that falls somewhat short. So in reality these targets are more or less unachievable and it becomes a question of damage limitation.

At some point in the future people will need to realise that we can't all continue tooling around in large SUVs just because we feel like it. Probably not in my lifetime though.