Goverments / politicians.....setting unachievable targets..... surely not?šŸ˜‚
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Interesting times. Ok I may be feeling smug havng cancelled an SD order and now I am (really, really) enjoying my petrol S. However, if I was driving an SD I would still enjoy that low end torque and the mpg, and would be reassured that there will always demand for a ā€œ performanceā€ clean diesel. Politiciancs, or their narrow focused advisors, are killing off developments in clean diesels which may, and I mean may, encourage a market in older more polluting diesels, this coukd make the euro 6 (cleaner) versions very desirable. I for one would not want to tow a horse box or drive a heavy mud plugger if it was powered by petrol. So if you drive a diesel donā€™t be dismal, just enjoy what it offers.

These are interesting times and I am hoping for a breakthrough in either battery technology, fuel cells etc or even something dramatic for the internal combustion engine, in whatever form it takes. Internal combustion has only advanced at a snailā€™s pace compared with the world of IT.
johnd

Post by johnd »

:shock:
Crazy diamond wrote: ā†‘Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm These are interesting times and I am hoping for a breakthrough in either battery technology,
Must admit that I do get a little concerned - maybe irrationally - at the sheer amount of energy stored in ever higher power-density batteries, especially now with a trend towards higher voltages. Not sure whether you can kill yourself with 48v DC or not (given 50-100A probably available), but the voltage is creeping up enough to give a jolt even when applied to less sensitive parts of the anatomy. :shock: But it's more the concern about possible short circuits to the battery pack.

Of course the total energy is no different to what's stored in the petrol tank, but we've had many decades of experience in learning how to minimise any fire or explosion risk there and it's quite difficult, under normal motoring circumstances at least and especially with diesels, to release that energy in one go. But the same is not necessarily true for BEV.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Peteski wrote: ā†‘Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 pm.....in the future people will need to realise that we can't all continue tooling around in large SUVs .........
That's a relief, cos I only drive a mid-sized SUV in the Macan :D
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: ā†‘Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm Of course the total energy is no different to what's stored in the petrol tank, but we've had many decades of experience in learning how to minimise any fire or explosion risk there and it's quite difficult, under normal motoring circumstances at least and especially with diesels, to release that energy in one go. But the same is not necessarily true for BEV.
Although fire risk in modern ICE cars is much lower than it was historically, there are still many thousands of car fires every year with hundreds of associated fatalities. EVs can also set on fire after a crash, but there have been very few incidents reported to date and only a handful of fatalities. Tesla have certainly put a huge effort into their battery management and protection systems, making it very difficult for the cells to catch fire and spread to neighbouring cells. For example they have substantial metal protective cases and firewalls between groups of cells. Energy release in a burning EV is also likely to be considerably slower than in an ICE, which can be very explosive. There have been several EV fires reported where the occupants had reasonable time to escape without being burned. I think the only fatalities have been in high speed collisions where the occupants were probably killed in the initial impact anyway. Thankfully a very rare occurrence to date.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Not sure that it's a BEV fire that bothers me as much as the fact that if we got to eg 110kWh battery then that - fully charged - is like sitting on 100kg TNT (if my sums are correct). And all that energy could, at least in theory, be released in an instant.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly