Rain X

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Does anyone use "Rain X" and do they like it?

There are probably "more posh" versions - C5 or whatever but rain x was recommended to me.

I'm not really keen on applying products to my windscreen but I had a smeer of polish or whatever on the windscreen which was annoying me.

Paul

Post by Paul »

I don’t use anything on the windscreen (once its been cleaned)
I used Rain-x a while back and found that on the occasions when I had to use the wipers (in town / slow moving) a film appeared giving the impression of driving through a light mist for a short while.
Great on the side windows (and rear screen for that matter) but not for me.
Mind you, the product may have changed formula since then....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

I have had the same experience with Rain X and had to end up using glass cutter on the windscreen to get a clear view so not likely to use again although getting the G-Techniq treatment on the next car
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Don't do it. You may think it's fine when first applied but after a little while the screen becomes smeary and the damned stuff is nigh on impossible to remove.

A clean screen with good wiper blades should not need any coating.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

Actually, Nick was thinking more about the side and rear windows on the 911 as haven't ordered a rear wiper. I've heard bad things about the interaction between G-Techniq and wiper blades on the front windscreen although something that did the job and didn't cause problems would be very welcome!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Rain X has a tendency to smear once you use your washers. I have not used but know of others that have.

GTechniq has an issue on some front screens where the blades judder. This happens on all my cars (non Porsche too) so it’s not a Macan blade issue.
The solution is to coat the blades with a little Gtechniq G1. Wait 15 mins and give a second coat.
Very quick and easy and has solved the problem.
Never had the problem in any of the rear screen wipers funny enough....

Apart from this I have found the water repellent of Gtechniq excellent even after 13 months on still going strong.

G1 now comes in a very small bottle which lasts ages so it’s not too expensive and goes a long way.
GTS 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

[

G1 now comes in a very small bottle which lasts ages so it’s not too expensive and goes a long way.
[/quote]

Is that not Fairy Liquid :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nasher

Post by Nasher »

I’ve had really good results using Carlack 68 glass sealant.
Petrol S - Sold
Turbo PP - Sold
Next - 718 GT4?
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:10 pm [

Is that not Fairy Liquid :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

😂😂😂
GTS 😀
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Not used RainX but have used Aquapel for about 6 years on rear screens on 911 and Cayman. Never used it on the front window but never had a problem with the back.

Expect it has been superceded by Gtechniq, Gyeon and every other nanobiotech chemical formulation!