Macan Diesel Loan Car

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Marra

Post by Marra »

I'm hoping to get my car back today after they have fixed the coolant problem which apparently was caused by a "kink in a pipe" - said pipe has been replaced and the car has passed a weekend pressure test.

While my car was in the workshop I was initially given a Cayman when they thought I was probably imaging the problem as they hadn't come across coolant problems on the Macan before and they were expecting me to have my car back the next day. I wasn't keen on the car, not quite my cup of tea. When they realised that my car would be in for a bit longer, they swapped the Cayman for a Macan SD which happened to be a similar spec to my Macan S. I thought it might be interesting to share my views on the comparison.

Loan car - 6300 miles.

It is Silver and it looks really good in that colour, still glad I went for VG though

The 20" Spyders look really good but also look like they will be difficult to keep clean. I am still please with the 19" Macan Design wheels on mine which I think will be easier to keep clean. Interestingly, 2 of the wheels have been kerbed - maybe people don't care when driving a loaner. I have not noticed any real difference in the ride quality.

The car has Bose - it sound fab but not sure my ears are good enough to distinguish the difference with my standard system. One thing that is clear is that the time I invested in setting up the system (base, treble, fade etc) was well worth it.

The car has a leather interior - this looks great, I especially like the stitching - i would have liked this had my budget allowed it - i also like the fact that you have Porsche on the drop down access to the SD slots.

Black interior with red seat belts - not sure on this.

I'm pleased I specced the compass - the dash does seem a bit bare without it.

8 way seats are definitely not as good as my 14 way, at least for me anyway.

The car feels way nippier than mine at lower speed. I would say it feels like the SD is in Sport and mine is in normal mode - I know this car has done over 6k whereas mine is at 1.2k and still feels quite tight.

I'm not certain that I distinguish a great difference in noice inside the car - outside, certainly.

I have had a couple of BMW diesels and I have to say the SD is phenomenal - I bought petrol for a number of reasons and I'm still pleased that I did but for all those SD owners out there - you have a truly wonderful car.

That's about it really - I've only done about 30 miles in total so this is not a scientific comparison by any means and of course just my opinion.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Ha! I thought you had done 6,300 miles in the loaner!!!!
Macan S D
718 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great that you got your Macan repaired.

Great review too 👍
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It is interesting to drive different cars from time to time.

Re the Bose, I have had it in my two Macans and there is a considerable difference between them, with the 2016 onwards builds having a better system, that said they all do need tweaking in the settings to get the required EQ setup.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Cjm360

Post by Cjm360 »

I was impressed with the diesel Macan when I test drove it and compared to the RRSport the turbo lag is non existent I have ordered the GTS purley because I do minimal mileage and so Petrol is best. Also living near London a mayor who hates motorists but hates diesel driving motorists more
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

So what were your prefered settings for the Bose?
JBA

Post by JBA »

I second that Marra. I've had SD as a loan car for my GTS and was really impressed. The Macan is such a brilliant car whether diesel or petrol. It'll go down as one of the best cars Porsche has made imo.
Macan GTS Mark 1 - bought new 2017 and sold 2024
Macan GTS Mark 3 - bought new 2024
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Interesting views on the SD and also audio settings. Maybe it's an age thing but I find no matter what car I am driving, invariably I need the bass at minimum and treble at maximum. I have the standard audio in my SD and it's fine for me. I agree with the review above; it's a great car and I have no regrets in buying a diesel. I am trying to think of something about it that I don't like but cannot come up with anything.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

On the BOSE, I find you have to select the ‘direct sound’ option or whatever it is called, that makes the biggest difference/improvement for me.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Last week I also had SD loaner (for my SD to have 1st service), and it was surprising how different it felt.

Going from 20" to 21" wheels ride was a little harsher (no PASM ) and it did feel more traditionally connected from driver perspective. Also I am sure it did not have PS+ as maneuvering using that sloppy method of palm of hand was not on in tight spaces.

It did have the sports exhaust which sounded better than I recall but at the end of day really just seemed a little noisier, i find the beauty of the diesel is its quiet effortless ease. However, flooring up slip road was a pleasant sound, but content I did not spend any more to have it. :)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960