3 Month Report

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

Introduction
In October 2017, I swapped my BMW 640D convertible for a Macan SD. My choice was largely driven by wanting a bit more space in the back, and in the boot, whilst still having a sexy motor that would be fun to drive. I thought this forum might be interested in my “progress report” after 3 months and 4000 miles.

The Spec

I found this forum invaluable in helping me to decide my spec and, to date, I have not regretted any of my decisions:
Diesel: I could do 12-15,000 miles a year. Having been an accountant, I would begrudge the cost associated with getting 20-25mpg from a petrol model. And, yes, I know that this is a stupid and wildly inconsistent thing to say when buying a £60k car. I also believe that when, in 3 years’ time, I replace the Macan, the current media frenzy over (modern) diesels will be a distant memory.
Carmine Red: my Macan was only ever going to be one colour, even for the eye watering option price of £1,676 – for a solid colour!
No panoramic roof: owners concerned about the dark interior tend to specify this. Me, I begrudged spending (more) megabucks on something I would never open and went for Luxor Beige seats and, having given up drug dealing, I wasn’t remotely tempted by the privacy glass. As a result, I find the interior wonderfully light and relaxing. Good decision.
LED Lights: Even my SE at OPC Bristol said that the standard lights are useless and the dark rural roads around here prompted a belt and braces decision favouring LEDs rather than the bi-Xenons. I’ve not experienced the latter but the LEDs are impressive.
Surround view: I had it on the 640D and wouldn’t be without it. Forum comments about the Macan being a challenge to park clinched it. My alloys will be forever grateful.
Air Suspension: apparently, like the standard lights, the standard suspension is below par – on a Porsche?! Really? So, belt and braces again, I upgraded to air rather than risking the intermediate step of PASM. The ride is VERY comfortable and I haven’t noticed any “floating” mentioned by some on this forum.
Wheels: This was a compromise. I wanted to protect my alloys and I didn’t want to ruin the ride, therefore I ignored the bigger alloys and went for 19” Turbo wheels. Result: great ride, alloys still intact. Good decision.
Protection: I ignored the offer from the OPC and went to a third-party detailer, Auto Protek in Ascot. The put a paint protection film on the entire front of the car, on the door bottoms and on the rear bumper and treated the rest of the car with GTechniq products. Looks great.

The Experience

Driving: comparing the Macan with a 640D is like comparing apples with oranges but there’s got to be some baseline against which I measure the Macan. The Porsche handles much better but the 640D gave faster, smoother acceleration. On the go, the Macan generally has a composed, quiet and comfortable ride but it can be a bit fidgety to drive at parking speeds and, without due care and attention, it can demonstrate turbo lag. This is most common going into roundabouts: you see a gap, floor the throttle, there is a split-second hesitation and then it launches itself forward like a demented rocket ship. Very untidy. There was never the slightest hint of turbo lag with the 640D and I still think it is the finest engine that I have driven.
MPG: I do quite a few motorway miles and the rest are largely rural. I rarely drive in traffic. According to the Macan’s trip computer, I have averaged 37mpg to date which is about what I expected. For info: I got 41mpg in the 640D.
Mud: my goodness, this car gets dirty! Following advice on this forum, I fitted mud flaps bought on eBay from Direct 4x4. This was relatively easy but did require a couple of holes to be drilled. The result is that the sides tend to stay much cleaner but the back, whilst improved, still gets dirty. Hard to believe that Porsche don’t offer a standard accessory to help with this problem.
Technology: it may be my modest demands but I cannot yet join the criticism seen on this forum of the technology in the Macan, although the phone directory is a bit antiquated.
Miscellaneous:
- my wife’s old X3 had a clever “cassette-style” rear load cover which rolled up when not required or when larger loads were being carried. The load cover in the Macan is a “zero/one” solution: it’s either in the car, in use, or you take it out completely.
- The rear wiper switch is too fiddly: it’s too easy to get the screen washed rather than just wiped.

Issues

Jerky on take up: see above.
Turbo lag: see above.
Panel gap: when I picked up the vehicle, I immediately noticed the panel gap on the front bonnet. I was surprised how large it is and that it is not completely even all the way round. I’ll be asking whether this can be adjusted.
Surround view: As has been noted elsewhere, the surround view needs to be properly calibrated: mine shows me as being in the centre of a parking space when, in fact, I am slightly to one side.
LED lights: these seem to have been set a little too high and I often get flashed by oncoming drivers.
Main beam assistant: this is a bit hit and miss. There’s one local road where the lights resolutely stay dipped despite the road being in pitch darkness. Occasionally they don’t dip when a car comes into view ahead. To describe them as lazy would be being generous.

Conclusion

That’s it for now. I do have a habit of being critical of, and quickly tiring of, my cars. The Macan is a fine car: reasonably quick with surprisingly agile handling, a fine interior and a cosseting ride. However, there’s a few things mentioned above which mean that it is flawed, surprisingly so in certain areas. To be honest, I’m rather missing the 640D. Fortunately, my wife's Boxster means that I will still get to experience open top motoring!
Last edited by Deleted User 1895 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.

VanB

Post by VanB »

Interesting review Derekm and I would be surprised if the majority don't agree with you. I can't speak for the SD as have a GTS but suffer the same turbo lag at roundabouts etc unless in sport mode. Interesting comments, thank you
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great write up, Derek!

Glad that you can still afford to run two Porsches, having given up the drug dealing! ;)

Carmine Red - excellent choice! You have great taste!

I too have the LEDs on my Panamera. I also got regularly flashed. I mentioned it to the OPC, they adjusted them and I've not been flashed since.

Using Sport mode helps to reduce turbo lag.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice balanced write-up with some good points well made.

I never experienced true turbo lag in either my SD or my current GTS, just idle PDK lag. If sport mode “cures” turbo lag, then its probably because you’ll be in 2nd or 3rd as opposed to 7th in economical comfort mode, and its actually wrong gear lag😉
A quick pull on the left paddle is a great cure!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
microbe

Post by microbe »

A very honest write up and I can associate with most of the negatives. Not too many positives though.
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
FranCK

Post by FranCK »

A great summary, i agree on all points. My niggles to add to the list are;

Petrol gauge.. showing 86 miles in tank, undertake a 12 mile trip for the huage to drop to 43 miles!

Occasionally, the DAB radio continually swops channels.

Registration plates attached at corners with double sided stickers.. cheap and they don’t last so number plates protrude.

Rant over..
Current: Volcano Grey SD 2017, Mercedes E250 AMG conv. Audi Q5 2.0 S line + Audi Q5 2.0. Audi A3 S Line. Nissan Navara 2.5. And many VW Golf 😀
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Mine are screwed on good and proper.
I don't think the turbo is laggy, I think its a PDK or Eco thing. Perhaps purposely built in.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Paul wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 pm Nice balanced write-up with some good points well made.

I never experienced true turbo lag in either my SD or my current GTS, just idle PDK lag. If sport mode “cures” turbo lag, then its probably because you’ll be in 2nd or 3rd as opposed to 7th in economical comfort mode, and its actually wrong gear lag😉
A quick pull on the left paddle is a great cure!
I think this is nearer the mark - the PDK is so keen to get you into higher gears that it is very easy to experience wrong gear lag. However quickly it can change down, it is still noticeable if you are several gears out. A quick change down sorts it. This is the advantage of having the rev counter in the middle - just keep changing down until the revs are appropriate for acceleration. It struck me as a bizarre layout, but I have grown to like it!
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Excellent report, interesting read. Completely agree with you about the rear wiper switch - said the same in my 3-month review. Such a small thing but very irritating.
pj191k89
John_M

Post by John_M »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm Mine are screwed on good and proper.
I don't think the turbo is laggy, I think its a PDK or Eco thing. Perhaps purposely built in.
I to sometimes see a problem on take off - I don't think it is turbo, engine often revs but car seems slow on uptake, but other times it just takes off no issue. I haven't worked out exact circumstances when it doesn't take off (then I can avoid them) - it seems to be when I am trying to pull out from stationary but not going straight forward so I wonder if it is traction control related and often stop start had stopped the engine while stationary (but I would have restarted it with throttle a bit before wanting to take off) so may be related.

I did wonder if it was getting confused because I holding brake with left foot and switch to throttle quickly but a Porsche!!.

It is embarrassing a Porsche taking off slowly when you want/need it fly and usually i don't want to floor it in case it suddenly decides to take off at a rate I am not expecting.