3 Month Report

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Getting go from stop? Some sort of transmission lag you mean?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

derekm wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:51 pm
Panel gap: when I picked up the vehicle, I immediately noticed the panel gap on the front bonnet. I was surprised how large it is and that it is not completely even all the way round. I’ll be asking whether this can be adjusted.
So was mine. I had looked at many and the variation of fit/panel gap was signifcant, I considered mine was the worst I had seen. Colchester agreed, had it for 3 days and it came back as good as the best I've seen. I have no idea how they 'adjusted' it but its fixed.

667AA854-1E88-4DC7-9686-069AD578ED54.jpeg

338B7369-67F1-4E5F-AE1F-04B3E2A3554D.jpeg

945F3C88-A324-492C-8BF6-13A76604F5BB.jpeg

I like your spec and would have ordered Carmine without a Sunroof but was talked out of both my Mrs B and Mr B Jnr. Agree with all your other comments, but don't have any lag/delay as I pull away.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Paul

Post by Paul »

Re lag...when at a stop, rather than holding your left foot on the brake, a quick push on the pedal will activate the hold function (green wording cones up on dash) - maybe this will improve take-off

Re bonnet gap...there are two rubber bump stops either side of the bonnet which can be wound up or down to adjust the gap; best if the dealership plays with this as you can go from a big gap to the bonnet not closing properly quite quickly.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
happy days

Post by happy days »

How did such a large panel gap pass PDI?
Macan S D
718 S
Mr Moley

Post by Mr Moley »

As a few have already rightly said it sounds very much like what is being experienced here is a combination of 'transmission lag' and throttle response rather than turbo lag, particularly if putting the car in sport mode makes the problem better. PDK-style twin clutch gearboxes are notorious for behaving a bit like this in the situations described, such as pulling out at roundabouts.

Turbo lag is when you're in the right gear and there's a delay between the throttle input being received and the turbos spooling up to deliver more power - ie the engine will be trying but you're not getting full power without the turbos for a split second. :geek:
Retired

Post by Retired »

Suspect that 'normal mode' is a set up to deliver best result in economy emission tests.

This results in a car which is often in too high a gear, revs below the power band and turbo not spooled up. All of this contributes to the 'lag'. It was true in my Turbo and Turbo PP.

Put the car in 'sport' and the issue all but disappears. The car in 'sport' is the car Porsche wanted you to have. The car in 'normal' is the car Porsche were required to give you for reasons to do with economy and emissions.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

When it comes to being flashed by other road users, the main problem is that both bi-xenon and LED lights are much brighter than halogen (never mind tungsten!) headlights. All too many users think those lights are bright and look across to see if they're dazzled. The proverbial self-fulfilling prophecy!

A quick self check is looking at the interior of the car in front of you. If your lights make it look like daylight inside they're set too high, otherwise ignore the flashers.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I will have had my SD for 3 months next week and the mileage is looking like 8k pa, which kind of justifies my change from the 981 Cayman, which only did 3k miles between MOTs?

Initially disappointed with my choice, coming from one of the best sports cars on the road, to a diesel SUV, the Macan has really grown on me to a point where I wished I'd made the switch earlier. I've learnt to drive the car such that the huge dollop of torque is right there when I want it and subsequently, performance is really rather good. A Turbo PP might be nice though!

My car was a showroom floor car and pre-specced, so if I could re-write history, the things I wish it had are heated steering wheel, interior light pack, auto dimming mirrors, electric tow bar and possibly the sports exhaust? Otherwise, particularly as it looks like a GTS bar the red brakes and a realistic 33 mpg, it's all good.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
eakae

Post by eakae »

Great summary although I do feel bad in terms of how underwhelmed you are.

I guess the interesting point derekm is making is that his 640d didn’t exhibit the lag described irrespective of what the cause is. That said I agree with everyone’s observation the PDK probably being the cause.

The other point relating to poorly aligned panels is pretty shocking really. It reminds me of being at the Eurotunnel terminal and being summoned to have the the car checked. They asked me to open the bonnet and I could no longer get it closed. We missed our train as a result! I thought it was me being daft. At least now I can blame the poorly aligned panels!!

Hope the car grows on you a little more....
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments. Not being a techie, I accept that what I called "turbo lag" could be something else, most likely "gearbox lag" by the sounds of it. I'll be raising it with OPC Bristol in due course, together with the other items that I feel may be fixable.