Xenons or LED

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Spud

Post by Spud »

Rab J wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 pm LED lights on a GTS a no brainer at the minimal cost involved. They follow the road around corners, look sideways at junctions, and in eighteen months I never got flashed once, if anything I found them a bit quick to dip and come back on full beam. The Xenons originally had the same features but seem to have lost this now that LEDs are an option.
I would love to have had them on my 911 but at nearly 2k for a fun driving car not likely to be used much in the dark they just weren't worth it, when like the Macan GTS xenons were standard.
👍
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Whilst xenons are more than adequate for most owners LEDs do vastly improve the visibility on unlit roads.

The colour rendering of LEDs do help in distance estimation and object definition.

LEDs yes if you do a fair amount of night driving on unlit roads and for the improved aesthetics.

Remember xenons pre LEDs had the full PDLS and now its a cut down system of functionality compared to LEDs as they currently perform.

As Nick points out you do get a fair amount of headlight flashes by oncoming traffic.

For base and S specifiers LEDs are a fair wad of cash, but if they are worth it only you can tell.

For GTS and Turbo buyers LEDs are or should be a no brainer.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

spook wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:09 pm Great tube clip.
I have never driven an LED lit car and do a lot of night driving, my Macan had Xenon PLDS and found they were great was like driving in a well lit tunnel.
I have also test driven a 992 overnight with PLDS maybe because you are sitting lower down on maybe the headlight actual physical height is lower but IMO they were not as good as the Macan's.

Spec'd PDLS on my 992 I couldn't quite afford the LEDS at £1835 or £2268 (black) never mind.
They looked very effective though, shucks !
You are well ahead of the game having already driven a 992 and having one on order - which OPC do you use :lol:
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
John_M

Post by John_M »

Rab J wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 pm LED lights on a GTS a no brainer at the minimal cost involved. They follow the road around corners, look sideways at junctions, and in eighteen months I never got flashed once, if anything I found them a bit quick to dip and come back on full beam. The Xenons originally had the same features but seem to have lost this now that LEDs are an option.
The Xenons are described as
Bi-Xenon lighting system incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Projector-beam Bi-Xenon headlight system with static and dynamic cornering lights, headlight cleaning and automatic dynamic range control. The dynamic cornering light function swivels the main headlights towards the inside of a bend based on the current steering angle and road speed. The static cornering lights activate the auxiliary headlights for better illumination in tight bends, e.g. when turning off. Speed-sensitive headlight control adjusts the range and light cone of the dipped beams at higher speeds (e.g. on the motorway) for better illumination of the road. The adverse weather function dims the upper light cone in order to reduce the effect of reflection phenomena in poor visibility conditions (e.g. fog) and thus the risk of the driver being dazzled
on the webpage - and the picture configuring site uses looks like it has the same bulb for lighting the corners as in mine (new May last year) - just behind fake main beam spotlight

The LEDs are described as
Specially designed LED main headlights including Main Beam Assistant and Intersection Assistant (PDLS Plus). The junction light system detects junctions and side roads stored in the navigation data and activates the static cornering light on the left and right for optimum illumination.
spook

Post by spook »

VanB wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 pm
You are well ahead of the game having already driven a 992 and having one on order - which OPC do you use :lol:
Thats old age for you !!!! :D :D :D :D
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
VanB

Post by VanB »

spook wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:27 pm
VanB wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Thats old age for you !!!! :D :D :D :D
Sorry Spook I couldn’t resist that!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate