Hit a Deer!!!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tondy

Post by Tondy »

So just hit a deer this afternoon, the bugger ran out with no warning right in front of us, hit the brakes and glancing blow around 10-15mph. Deer got up and ran off, and appeared un-injured. I ran after it, but it vanished, so hopefully its okay and nothing more than shock and bruising. The same however cant be said for the Macan...

So we have a crack in the front bumper, off-side, next to the number plate, under the grille. No further damage as far as I can see, so hopefully purely cosmetic.

Hopefully it can be sorted cost effectively... But suggestions and feedback appreciated.
Do we think it can be plastic welded, or new bumper? Where to source from? Probably not worth claiming for!

We have a Macan GTS MY17 in Agate Grey.

Hopefully pictures attached correctly below...

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

Cayman GT4 - Guards Red, Satin Black wheels, CF Spyder Buckets, Clubsport Pack
Macan GTS - Ordered & Delivery March 17 http://www.porsche-code.com/PHC1J421

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi Tondy, no helpful advice to add, but glad all including the deer seemingly ok without any major damage. Hope you get it sorted easily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Oh, dear! Might be easier to fix than you think, fingers crossed.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Tondy

Post by Tondy »

andreas wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm
Oh, dear!

:lol:
andreas

Post by andreas »

Tondy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm
andreas wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm
Oh, dear!

:lol:
Glad you can chuckle about it, I'd have been furious!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Pleased to hear not too much damage to either the deer or the Macan. A quick google search for 'deer hit's car' reveals this often isn't the case ...

00small37585970.JPG

Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
Tondy

Post by Tondy »

jk88 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 pm Pleased to hear not too much damage to either the deer or the Macan. A quick google search for 'deer hit's car' reveals this often isn't the case ...

00small37585970.JPG
Is that classed as a modification if youve gained an extra horse power? Warranty void?! :lol:
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Tondy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm So just hit a deer this afternoon, the bugger ran out with no warning right in front of us, hit the brakes and glancing blow around 10-15mph. Deer got up and ran off, and appeared un-injured. I ran after it, but it vanished, so hopefully its okay and nothing more than shock and bruising. The same however cant be said for the Macan...

So we have a crack in the front bumper, off-side, next to the number plate, under the grille. No further damage as far as I can see, so hopefully purely cosmetic.

Hopefully it can be sorted cost effectively... But suggestions and feedback appreciated.
Do we think it can be plastic welded, or new bumper? Where to source from? Probably not worth claiming for!

We have a Macan GTS MY17 in Agate Grey.

Hopefully pictures attached correctly below...
Pleased to hear all OK, damage looks superficial ideally get an OPC assessment and then decde to pay cash or make an ins claim. Looks as if a plastic weld repair could work, would need a respray after though. Porsche approved body shop best.
To be flippant, these deer (plenty in Norfolk) just not observing rules of road, if caught, need a good tellng off.
Last edited by Bigboyrolo on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Tondy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 pm So just hit a deer this afternoon, the bugger ran out with no warning right in front of us, hit the brakes and glancing blow around 10-15mph. Deer got up and ran off, and appeared un-injured.
I have had that happen to me in a Cayenne. It's literally the same M.O.

You will be outright horrified at the price of a new bumper and all the respray and labour involved.

If you're luckier than me and didn't have any of the bumper clips break, you'll be fine with plastic welding. I ended up not buying a new bumper and living with a little bit of a wider panel gap on the lower part of the driver side wheel arch.

Depending on where you are, I'd suggest John Chatto at Dentfix. http://www.dentfix.co.uk/about-us

He was initially recommended by Graeme at Hamiltons Car Storage where I used to store my cars and I was greatly reassured when I saw work he had done to a F430 Scuderia that had hit a deer.

In any event, I'd email him the pictures and a description of any damage and see what his assessment is. I'd benchmark him as a fair and honest repairer. The spread of cost I had on doing the work was around £4.5k! He did my job for a not too dear (sorry) £800 and I could not fault it.
jrsmacan

Post by jrsmacan »

Had a similar experience in my last BMW 530d, very little damage to the car itself but the pedestrian friendly bonnet triggered so £1700 bill to have all the explosive hinges, catches, etc replaced!