21” Wheels with PASM but not Air

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Hi,

Suspect this subject has been done to death, but just wondering what the latest thinking is about running 21” Wheels without air suspension ? I know PASM is a must, and we found the ride was fantastic on our previous Macan which was on 20” spyders with PASM.

Is Air suspension a nice to have ? Or must-have ?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thx!

VanB

Post by VanB »

I don't think this is a straightforward question to answer as it very much depends what you are looking for. PASM on steel with 21s will give you a great ride but air will give you a sublime but less sporty ride so you pays your money...
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Very much depends on what type of ride you prefer. I have 21s with PASM and no air and find it very comfortable. I actually drive in Sport suspension mode as I find comfort too floaty.
steve w

Post by steve w »

Scaramanga
On our first Macan we had 21in Plus PASM ,I found it to be ok but a little choppy on uneven roads,on our second Macan I have
21in + PASM + AIR and I much prefer this ,it ride more smoothly in normal mode than just PASM,IMO AIR is better with 21in and definitely worth the outlay.
SteveW
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

MCDK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:05 pm Very much depends on what type of ride you prefer. I have 21s with PASM and no air and find it very comfortable. I actually drive in Sport suspension mode as I find comfort too floaty.
+1
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The answer to this question may depend on what age you are. Bit of a generalisation but seems to be those who have had more birthdays seem to like their Macans to be smoother.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I cant be sure but I reckon the greatest consequence of 21s is road noise, air or no air.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MCDK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm The answer to this question may depend on what age you are. Bit of a generalisation but seems to be those who have had more birthdays seem to like their Macans to be smoother.
You are so right with that generalisation.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks for all the views.

So in summary, I think the answer is that PASM with 21s is fine! Sporty drive I can handle.

Crashy ride - like on BMWs - I can’t !

Thanks again for the responses.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

I don’t see any reviews saying that 21 + steel PASM is harsh. Also I presume more tomgo wrong with Air if keeping the car outside of warranty?