Oil consumption

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
happy days

Post by happy days »

Mrs Happy arrived home last night and advised me that the oil light was showing on her car. (Don't ask!) So I topped it up with the litre of 5W 30 oil that was in the boot and it got me thinking about oil consumption. The car has just turned 30,000 miles, was serviced at 20,000 (minor service according to the schedule, with oil change) and I remember putting in a litre at some stage in the past - must look up and see if I can see when it was.

I know diesels use oil in their early miles, but would a litre in 10k be considered normal? I'd like to think so, but I thought I'd check with you friendly lot. 718 on just over 10k hasn't used a drop (well, according to the digital gauge, but they do change like the weather, don't they?).
Macan S D
718 S

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Yep. My SD had a top up at around 7k, then 14k. Oil change at 20k service and I've just put about a litre in at 26k.

Pretty normal according to others on the forum too.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I wouldn't worry too much.

We had a Merc OM352 many years ago which drank about a litre per day.

Called out the dealer and he pointed out it was within the book range.

After five years it was nicely run in at 1300 hours and stopped using any oil.

Just over 3k miles on the Macan and the green bar is half way down so i'm contemplating 250ml to see how sensitive it is.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Spud

Post by Spud »

Would agree my SD had a top up around 8,000 miles , currently on 17,500 so would expect top up soon although oil gauge is correct
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Tim92gts wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:34 pm I wouldn't worry too much.

We had a Merc OM352 many years ago which drank about a litre per day.

Called out the dealer and he pointed out it was within the book range.

After five years it was nicely run in at 1300 hours and stopped using any oil.

Just over 3k miles on the Macan and the green bar is half way down so i'm contemplating 250ml to see how sensitive it is.
I had an Alfa 147 GTA back in the day. I swear I spent more on oil than on petrol! it had an incredible thirst for the stuff! Alfa dealer just shrugged "it's an Alfa Romeo Sir, they all do that"
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

BigPhil wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:46 pm I had an Alfa 147 GTA back in the day. I swear I spent more on oil than on petrol! it had an incredible thirst for the stuff! Alfa dealer just shrugged "it's an Alfa Romeo Sir, they all do that"
I think I had much the same engine in both my Alfa 75s, 3.2 V6 and they were ok.

The GTA looked a lovely, slightly insane, little car. Must have been fun!?
Tim
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Tim92gts wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:27 pm
BigPhil wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:46 pm I had an Alfa 147 GTA back in the day. I swear I spent more on oil than on petrol! it had an incredible thirst for the stuff! Alfa dealer just shrugged "it's an Alfa Romeo Sir, they all do that"
I think I had much the same engine in both my Alfa 75s, 3.2 V6 and they were ok.

It was quite bonkers, and great fun when it wasn't in for yet another electrical gremlin. It ate through front tyres about every 5k and I spent more time in the Cambridge OPC's Fiat Panda courtesy car than the Alfa but no regrets. Everyone needs to have owned an Alfa, great and infuriating in equal measure. I made sure I chopped it in before the warranty run out though. I did look the old girl up on the DVLA checker, seems she's snuffed it now. :(
happy days

Post by happy days »

BigPhil wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:25 pm
Tim92gts wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:27 pm

It was quite bonkers, and great fun when it wasn't in for yet another electrical gremlin. It ate through front tyres about every 5k and I spent more time in the Cambridge OPC's Fiat Panda courtesy car than the Alfa but no regrets. Everyone needs to have owned an Alfa, great and infuriating in equal measure. I made sure I chopped it in before the warranty run out though. I did look the old girl up on the DVLA checker, seems she's snuffed it now. :(
I had an Alfa 156 once as a company car. Absolutely cracking car, as long as you're not paying the maintenance bills. Likewise, front tyres almost weekly, but the main bugbear that I had with it was the front springs were not of sufficient strength and the car bottomed out constantly. The company put seven sumps into it, yes seven, sumps at about a grand a pop. It would bottom out and erode the aluminium sump away, eventually it would crack and leak. Tell tale signs were a fine oil mist all along the rear panel and then the tell tale oil deposits on the driveway

The garage had the car inspected by an RAC inspector and he said it was fine. I even went to the trouble of getting a stainless steel sump guard made up, but it wore that away too. Again, I spent a fair amount of time in a FIAT Panda too.

Best seats in any car that I've ever owned. I was doing in around 50k a year at the time all on country roads and you could sit in it for eight hours a day and still come out fresh as a daisy. And the noise!
Macan S D
718 S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

We had a 156 Veloce 2.4 JTD as a company car too back in the days. Lovely car but bottomed out as you say. Also depreciation a bit frightening, bought new at 18k, sold at 3 years old for £3.5k, did do 100k miles though.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Put in 250ml last night and that hasn't quite got me back to full so it looks as if full to low is about 700ml and car is using about 100ml per 1k miles.
Tim
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab