Tracked down hit and run driver but Police takes no further action

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
gkasus

Post by gkasus »

I was driving on an A road towards a roundabout (about 65m/210ft from) the roundabout.  A car exited from a business/trade centre on my left and got in front of me. 

The driver then manoeuvred his car to the left to be close to the left curb before taking a turn to the right.  He was trying to turn and go in the opposite direction rather than going ahead on the outside lane (two lanes on my side, and one lane on oncoming lane)

As the car has made the turn to the right, I moved ahead with the traffic as the width of road is more than sufficient to make the turn.  The car then reversed as the driver didn’t make the turn on one go and had to do a 3-point turn.

As the driver was reversing, I couldn’t move further ahead as traffic ahead was stationary. By the time when the traffic ahead ease off and there was enough room for me to move forward, the car’s back end was already quite close to my driver’s side front wing. I felt that the driver had no intention to stop his reversing and hence I pressed my horn continuously to warn the driver but to no avail. The driver overdone his reverse bumping into my driver’s side front wing.  My car shakes at time of impact and obviously I believe the driver should know his car has hit my car.

The driver didn’t get out of his car after impact but drove off into the opposite direction.

The driver of a lorry who have to stopped his lorry on the oncoming lane as the car was doing the 3-point turn witnessed the collision. He has kindly offered his dashcam footage and asked me to take down his contact details which I did.

Reported to the police afterwards and subsequently have completed and returned the T78 form with my footage and lorry’s footage. Also reported to my insurance but only for information purpose as I ma not sure if the driver could be tracked down.

The police replied through the post 5 days after I posted off the T78 form advising that they will take no further action. They only provided the driver name/address in their letter. (the footages didn’t show the culprit’s Reg no clearly in full as its plate is very muddy. I managed to figure it out from the footage by going frame by frame and zooming in….

Much appreciated on any suggestions on what I should do next ? Shall I pursue a claim through my insurance against the other party ? But the other party will probably deny liability. Would pursuing a claim affect (i.e increase) my renewal premium ?

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Dear oh dear - and told within a day of a senior bobby saying that anyone caught exceeding the limit by 1 mph should be hammered !

Re a claim I’d first check if you’re allowed a claim or clains over a given period without it/them impacting on your NCB. Maybe also sound out your insurers for their view on their chance of success.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
gkasus

Post by gkasus »

Hi Dandock, thanks for the comment. My insurance is with Porsche Insurance (underwritten by Avivia, previously administered by Marsh and now by Carbon). I did not take out the NCB protection option. The damage on my car is minor in that the driver's side front wing's lower panel got pushed in by about 2-3 mm. The joint between the top panel and lower panel should be flushed but if you run your finger along it, you can feel it being pushed in.

I am only considering if I should pursue a claim against the other car's insurance but mine or fix the damage out of my own pocket.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Small claims court? Sounds like you've got plenty of witness and evidence support. Depends on the cost I suppose.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Surely the police should charge him with leaving the scene of an accident?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
andreas

Post by andreas »

Tall Phil wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm Surely the police should charge him with leaving the scene of an accident?
Dream on. There are speeding motorists to deal with.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
gkasus

Post by gkasus »

This is the reply from the police in their letter

"This collision has been investigated by the Road Collision Department and after careful consideration of the facts it has been decided that we will be taking no further action. The reason for this decision is :

This was a minor collision, details were not exchanged at the scene however details of the offending vehicle registration number were obtained and we have now identified a driver. He has provided a brief written explanation.

However,, we are unable to progress this matter further as there were no independent witnesses who could corroborate the circumstances of the incident. Our main role is to ensure Road Traffic Law is complied with by ensuring names and addresses are exchanged"

In their letter the name and address of the driver was provided.

I can't understand why the Police says there is no independent witnesses as the lorry driver who gave me his footage is one. It looks like that the police is not considering hit & run and/or driving without due care against the other driver. Perhaps they have better things to do. Does it mean anyone can go around bumping into other cars and drive off as long as the collision is a minor one ?

Their reply goes on saying that I could pursue a civil claim if I wish and if I need to obtain the info from them on this case, I have to pay a fee for it.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

gkasus wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 pm
Does it mean anyone can go around bumping into other cars and drive off as long as the collision is a minor one ?

Their reply goes on saying that I could pursue a civil claim if I wish and if I need to obtain the info from them on this case, I have to pay a fee for it.
Re para 1 - it’s beginning to resemble Paris.

Re 2. A fee! I’m sure there is! Perhaps you should bill them for providing the evidence!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Where there is blame there is a claim.

Sadly in your case to me it seems that you contributed to the incident.

If someone is being stupid whilst driving as seems to be the case here you really should have stayed well away and give them chance to sort themselves out.

Go to court and their Solicitor will argue just that.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I would find out the cost to repair the damage. Then write to the other driver explaining what happened and what recompense you require. There may be a good reason why events unfolded as they did. Give him a chance to make good, and then if he does not want to play fair you can then take it further through you legal advisors.