Tracked down hit and run driver but Police takes no further action

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Macananon wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:47 pm I would find out the cost to repair the damage. Then write to the other driver explaining what happened and what recompense you require. There may be a good reason why events unfolded as they did. Give him a chance to make good, and then if he does not want to play fair you can then take it further through you legal advisors.
I would probably go down this route too.

It's amazing (or perhaps not so amazing) how "bitter" a lot of us are towards the police. :?

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Police reaction is totally irrelevant. An incident happened. You claim on your insurance. Unless the damage is massive you wouldn't consider a Civil Action against the other driver.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It's amazing (or perhaps not so amazing) how "bitter" a lot of us are towards the police. :?
[/quote]

It’s no wonder really when they even alienate their own.

Roads police officer hits back at 1mph speed proposal as he says senior chief's plan is not enforceable - The Telegraph
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Andy_rs600

Post by Andy_rs600 »

Personal opinion obviously but having family members heavily involved in this business:

The police should probably be pursuing this as a failing to stop at scene, but for some reason have decided not to. Nothing you can do about that, but equally that does not in any way affect blame or insurance issues. There is absolutely no point trying to get them to change their mind.

You have to decide if the damage is worth going through your insurance for (given that you don't have protected NCD). If you get it repaired yourself without going via your insurance then you could try writing to the other driver and asking for some £££. They may well ignore you, in which case you will have to decide whether the £££ are worth pursuing in court (likely not if you decided it wasn't worth the insurance claim).

Alternatively, if the damage is more substantial, you make an insurance claim and you explain the incident as you have here, and include the footage as well as the contact details of the lorry driver. At that point you leave it up to your insurers.
2018 SD, Saphire, Air, PTV, LED PDSL+,
East Midlands Immediate Care Scheme http://emics.org.uk/
gkasus

Post by gkasus »

Thanks to all of your comments/opinions. Very much appreciated. The damage is minor and if I could get the pushed in lower panel pulled out back in place (paintless dental removal), it shouldn't cost much (probably below £100). There is a local guy here doing that and he said he will need to take a look to see if it could be done. Failing that, I will probably need to take it to Porsche Centre which would become a lot more expensive which I would probably need to pursue a claim via insurance.

Does anyone have any experience to share on whether renewal premium would increase if I made a claim irrespective of whether the claim is against my policy or the other party's ? I have read on the internet that most insurers would increase the premium at renewal just for having an accident irrespective of whose fault it is. Of course, at fault would increase more.
R850R

Post by R850R »

"Does anyone have any experience to share on whether renewal premium would increase if I made a claim irrespective of whether the claim is against my policy or the other party's ? I have read on the internet that most insurers would increase the premium at renewal just for having an accident irrespective of whose fault it is."

Have got NCD protection ~ damaged Macan b/work, my fault ~ Porsche Centre wont bill insurance company I have to pay & claim back ~ at insurance renewal short time later - big hike in premium ~ "why ? I have NCD !" ~ Answer "Your NCD is protected not your premium, you've claimed so your premium is increased". Silly me...should've realised of course,

Month or so later ~ woman reverses her car into wife's stationary car ~ "Sorry, my fault" other woman admits ~ I dutifully inform ins company of no fault accident with wife's car ~ they agree & will pursue other woman's insurance for repairs "it won't affect your wife's record"~ other woman now changes her story i.e. lies ~ her ins company & ours now decide on joint liability despite my protestations ~ claim now registered against wife's policy.
To paraphrase Lyndon B. Johnson "Insurance companies ? When they've got you by the b*lls, your hearts & minds will have to follow".
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

My experience with the Police is that they're worthless in these matters - it's just not worth their time pursuing what they will see as a trivial matter. Being in the right doesn't seem to matter any more.

Send a solicitor's letter. Use a proper firm.

A well worded and firm letter highlighting that they left the scene of the crime and that there are eye witnesses as well as video evidence corroborating your claim will help. Provide a taster of the facts and highlight that this is the basis upon which you're writing to and how you found them. Issue a demand for payment with deadline.

You might want to get 3 quotes to validate the repair cost for your own purposes and you can play this back to the person who damaged your car as an act of fairness in demonstrating recompense is not excessive and unreasonable.

Sending a firm but reasonable letter can save you the hassle of court proceedings and play more favourably for you with cost recovery if you demonstrate that you have tried to resolve this in a fair manner. I appreciate that the other party is at fault but you need to work with the system.
gkasus

Post by gkasus »

It sounds like writing to the other driver to ask for compensation, be it by myself or via a solicitor, is a good idea. In doing so, do I need to inform my insurer that I am doing this and not pursuing a insurance claim ? I prefer not to go thru insurance to avoid possibility of getting into knock for knock agreement by the insurance just like what was experienced by R850R's wife case (R850, thanks for sharing).
VanB

Post by VanB »

If the damage is less than £100 to fix I'd just get it repaired and put it down to experience as it will cost you more to pursue the other driver than to repair your car. It is totally galling of course when it seems the other driver has got away with it but really is it worth the time, effort and expense to pursue it when there is no guarantee of a positive outcome?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

gkasus wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am It sounds like writing to the other driver to ask for compensation, be it by myself or via a solicitor, is a good idea. In doing so, do I need to inform my insurer that I am doing this and not pursuing a insurance claim ? I prefer not to go thru insurance to avoid possibility of getting into knock for knock agreement by the insurance just like what was experienced by R850R's wife case (R850, thanks for sharing).
It's about proportionality. How much does the repair cost? If it's nominal, forget about it as it'll cost more in pursuit and aggravation.