Extended warranty

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

It's a real gamble extending it in year 1. I expected to keep the Macan long term but swapped out after a year. I'd rather pay the £200 after nearly 3 years when I know I'm going to keep it but I rarely keep a car beyond 3 years in any case.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

if you know it s a keeper then why would you wait for the last year of the 3 yrs to extend the warranty ? I don t have a crystal ball but I can tell you , in 3 yrs, Porsche 1 yr warranty extension will be more expensive than today (+ Brexit effect)...so plus the £200 saving for 111 points (and that will also be more expensive).
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am It's a real gamble extending it in year 1. I expected to keep the Macan long term but swapped out after a year. I'd rather pay the £200 after nearly 3 years when I know I'm going to keep it but I rarely keep a car beyond 3 years in any case.

+1. I know I'm a serial offender, but there are lots of Macaneers (on here) who have swapped or are swapping their cars before they reach the end of their three year warranties. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I am probably in minority on this forum but an extended warranty on a premium vehicle should be unnecessary unless your mileage is excessive. I would hope any vehicle is good for 100k miles without any major problems. The initial warranty should cover any early failures ( infant mortality failure for the reliability geeks) and once the car has bedded-in wear out failure should not occur in the sub 100k zone. Moreover, charging for an inspection to enable an extension of a warranty is a bit off and begs the question what does the OPC do at a regular service. Clearly the majority of Porsche customers can afford to pay and so do, ensuring plenty of annuity revenue for Porsche and great profits (see the figures). Any major failures in sub 100k mileage should not occur unless through bad design ( transfer box?!) so I would suggest an extended warranty is uneccessary if you do less than 10k per year.
spook

Post by spook »

Crazy diamond wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm I am probably in minority on this forum but an extended warranty on a premium vehicle should be unnecessary unless your mileage is excessive. I would hope any vehicle is good for 100k miles without any major problems.
I bought a new Boxster in 2004 and after about 22 months and around 12k miles the main bearing collapsed while i was driving around a mini roundabout at about 20mph, engine replaced under warranty. On enquiry it would have been a 12k repair with parts and labour.

Things do go faulty and these days components and workshop time are very very expensive, if i was planning to keep a car outside any warranty period I would not hesitate to buy an extended warranty for peace of mind.

Also for newcomers to the Macan - Porsche introduced the 3 year warranty about two years ago previously it was only 2 years and the configurator had the option for the 3rd year.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Crazy diamond wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm I am probably in minority on this forum but an extended warranty on a premium vehicle should be unnecessary unless your mileage is excessive. I would hope any vehicle is good for 100k miles without any major problems. The initial warranty should cover any early failures ( infant mortality failure for the reliability geeks) and once the car has bedded-in wear out failure should not occur in the sub 100k zone. Moreover, charging for an inspection to enable an extension of a warranty is a bit off and begs the question what does the OPC do at a regular service. Clearly the majority of Porsche customers can afford to pay and so do, ensuring plenty of annuity revenue for Porsche and great profits (see the figures). Any major failures in sub 100k mileage should not occur unless through bad design ( transfer box?!) so I would suggest an extended warranty is uneccessary if you do less than 10k per year.
+1
I just dont do extended warranties on anything including cars
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Crazy diamond wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm I am probably in minority on this forum but an extended warranty on a premium vehicle should be unnecessary unless your mileage is excessive. I would hope any vehicle is good for 100k miles without any major problems. The initial warranty should cover any early failures ( infant mortality failure for the reliability geeks) and once the car has bedded-in wear out failure should not occur in the sub 100k zone. Moreover, charging for an inspection to enable an extension of a warranty is a bit off and begs the question what does the OPC do at a regular service. Clearly the majority of Porsche customers can afford to pay and so do, ensuring plenty of annuity revenue for Porsche and great profits (see the figures). Any major failures in sub 100k mileage should not occur unless through bad design ( transfer box?!) so I would suggest an extended warranty is uneccessary if you do less than 10k per year.
Although I accept your premise on low mileage failures, unfortunately they do happen and perversely if Porsche will warrant cars for up to 14yrs old and 120,000 miles, that makes the case for not having a warranty at all.
However, I would always want one, its an insurance policy offering cover against an unlikely eventuality, the same reason as I have GAP and many have wheel & tyre insurance. Some on here have had exhaust tips replaced (I will soon), a pair with fitting is probably £500ish but free under warranty.
As the Pru used to say in their 60's TV advert "get the strength of the insurance company around you".
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I bought a new Boxster in 2004 and after about 22 months and around 12k miles the main bearing collapsed while i was driving around a mini roundabout at about 20mph, engine replaced under warranty. On enquiry it would have been a 12k repair with parts and labour.
I think this has helped make my point. Such a major failure within that time and mileage is within the “ infant mortality” category and should be covered by manufacture free warranty. I could not imagine paying £12k for such a failure and would suggest any premium car manufacturer would cover costs under those circumstances.
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I extended the warranty 3 times on my Boxster and never had to pay for the 111 check since the car had been serviced and MOTd by the same dealer from new. Just got to ask nicely :-)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Apparently the 111 point check is partly covered in the 40k service but not really in the 20k service, so fees unlikely to be waived. I would never have thought about extended warranty, but there seem to be quite a lot of things that can go wrong on these cars that cost a small (or large) fortune to fix. Especially transfer boxes at 2-3 years old. My logic is that I will likely keep the car for 4-5 years or more. If I sell earlier, an extra 2 years warranty may well aid a private sale since it gives much more confidence to a buyer. Still not made my mind up yet though - as someone commented, still a significant sum of money!