Extended warranty

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Courtesy call today from Porsche to tell me that my Macan is nearly a year old and how is it? All is well, I told him and asked about extended warranty. You probably know this anyway if you are interested, but just in case anyone isn't sure of the current costs:
1 year extension £969
2 year extension £1715
111 point inspection £216 - applies if the car is over 1 year old, but not needed if less than 1 year.
Warranty extension covers most things except "wear and tear" items - this includes bulbs, brakes, shock absorbers, but major things like the engine, transmission, electrics are all covered. So (obviously) if extending, the most economical way to do so is 2 years extension before the car is 1 year old.
If the car is less than 1 year, it can be done over the phone as inspection is not needed.
I think I will go for the 2 years extra as I like the car and tend to keep my cars a long time. And if I do sell it, the extra warranty would certainly aid a private sale.

spook

Post by spook »

Hi Ian.g

Good information for those who don't know.
I was aware that you did not have to have the 111 point inspection if you bought the extended warranty before the end of year 1 however do you know if the extended warranty is transferrable ?
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I renewed for 2 years before the initial 12 months and no 111 point check required

Prices included porsche assist making the warranty very good value imo.
Warranty is transferable too. 👍
GTS 😀
davewf

Post by davewf »

If the cars been serviced by OPC why should they charge for an inspection. After all i am paying them through the services to keep the car in top condition.

It reminds me of my Merc dealer ringing up and congratulating me that my car had passed its first MOT, was most put out when I pointed out that so it should since they serviced it,
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

The extended warranty stays with the car.
It is only refundable up to a point if you sell to an independent dealer.

I bought the 2 year extended warranty + breakdown cover before our first diesel was one year old, thinking I would keep the car long term.
But then part exchanged the car at OPC at 15 months old.
I was lucky to get the 2 year extended warranty + b/down cover (which is actually the AA) refunded, had to go via Porsche Customer Services UK, who had to ask AG's approval.

So think carefully before you pay out such a large sum a few years in advance to sit in Porsche's bank account. ;)
Last edited by Semerka on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Twice I have taken out 2 year further warranties, then part-ex'd the cars at OPCs after 12 months, thereby writing off about a grand each time!

This car is warrantied out to 3 years, after which I will (try to) think long and hard about my ownership intentions before signing on again?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
MartinRS2K

Post by MartinRS2K »

As the car comes with a 3 year warranty, when are people paying to extend the warranty?

If I wait until the car is nearly 3 years old then yes it will need the 111 check, but as davewf has said you would expect the car to pass this check especially if it is being looked after by the Porsche Dealer :?
Macan GTS collected 28/10/17 - Carmine Red http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4B4758
991.2 GT3 Touring collected 24/03/18 - Carrara White Metallic http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9T3NA0
997.2 GT3RS 2010 - Carrara White with Riviera Blue Decals and Wheels (Only 7,000 miles from New)
Paul

Post by Paul »

If you are going down this route (I shall probably extend but just one additional year) try talking to the service guys at the dealership re the 111 point check.
Depending in your relationship and how close they are to target (they will be incentivised to sell warranties in many cases) you may be able to roll the 2 yr major service, warranty and check into one, more manageable bill😉
They will still have to show the 111 point check on the invoice with some time units against it, but they may reduce the rate and / or the time units on the major service (after all, the major service should cover off a significant number if the 111 check points!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Don’t understand why you would take out a warranty at end of year 1 when it already has a 3 year warranty. Maybe I’m missing something!?
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You're paying to extend the warranty beyond the existing three years from new. The point about paying for it before the end of year one is to avoid the charge for the 111 point check.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA