GTECHNIQ v. PVC Wrapping

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RAA

Post by RAA »

New to the Porsche marque, I have ordered a new (facelifted) Macan S Diesel. To protect the paintwork, what do forum members recommend - the Gtechniq "Crystal Serum' coating, or having the car PVC protection-wrapped ? Does anyone have experience with either/both of these products, please ?

Paul

Post by Paul »

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Where you able to get a build date or is it a letter intent... as I am thinking of doing the same, but have not heard that you can place a deposit on one?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

RAA wrote: ↑Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 pm New to the Porsche marque, I have ordered a new (facelifted) Macan S Diesel. To protect the paintwork, what do forum members recommend - the Gtechniq "Crystal Serum' coating, or having the car PVC protection-wrapped ? Does anyone have experience with either/both of these products, please ?
Have the OPC confirmed that there will be a facelift Macan SD?

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

IMG_1157.JPG

I went for PPF on the vulnerable areas of front, half bonnet and wing mirrors. Very glad I did as I gave picked up a few 'chunks' in the film which gave not got through to the paint. Ceramic sealant would not have protected as well. Remainder of Macan in Gyeon MOHS+ which is very good.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

PPF and a ceramic sealant are not really comparable. PPF will help stop stone chips but a ceramic coating will not resist those. I have front and sides of mine done with PPF and it’s looking as good as the day it was new. Money well spent for me.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

I'd argue that one physically protects your paint, the other makes maintenance easier and provides additional clear coat.

A physical layer of material will always bear the brunt of a stone chip better and minimise damage.

Some of the top end ceramic coatings require wet sanding to remove but I've never seen a comparison of the hardest ceramic versus PPF.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

You can use both if your budget allows. Just make sure you get it the right way round otherwise you will be there all day :lol:

Different uses for different cars....
I use Gtechniq and my decision was based on the car looks amazing on day one and year one and the ease of washing which were my priorities.

Below is from Gtechniq which seems a very good and fair description and hope is of help.

Q: Gtechniq protection or Paint Protection Film? I can't decide which.

A: A question we get asked a lot and there's no right or wrong answer. In our opinion it really depends on your car and how you plan to use it. As an example if you have a Porsche 911, which has a high proportion of painted front end vs grilles that you plan to use on track days and drive "enthusiastically", PPF is probably a wise investment. Alternatively, for a Range Rover that's mainly going to be used for "wafting", stone chips are not going to be a massive issue. NB - in many cases owners choose only to have leading edges (front bumper, part or whole of the bonnet and wing mirrors) protected with PPF film, but it is beneficial to coat the rest of the car with Gtechniq as our system's primary role is to prevent premature dulling due to wash swirls and PPF's role is to prevent stone chips. NB2 - Gtechniq coatings can be applied over PPF film (we recommend EXO) but PPF films will not adhere effectively to Gtechniq coated surfaces, particularly ones coated with EXO.

As a side note on this: ceramic or any other type of paint coating, no matter how much their marketing claims tell you otherwise, cannot offer any meaningful protection against stone chipping as in order to absorb the impact of a pebble travelling at triple digit speeds, you need to have a relatively thick and relatively soft membrane. PPF film is approximately 150 microns thick and our coatings are approximately 1 micron thick (please be very skeptical if you hear marketing claims of coatings that say they offer more than this). And whilst a thick and soft film works very well at absorbing stone chips, it is much more susceptible to micro marring (some newer films self heal which addresses this issue) whereas a thin hard film such as Crystal Serum or Crystal Lacquer provides optimum protection against micro marring.
GTS πŸ˜€
RAA

Post by RAA »

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 pm Where you able to get a build date or is it a letter intent... as I am thinking of doing the same, but have not heard that you can place a deposit on one?
No, I was not given a build date, because the new 'facelifted' Macan has not been revealed yet; no-one knows officially when it will be revealed, nor when they will be built or delivered. I guess the order will be confirmed when all the details of the facelifted model are known.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Thanks..
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊