End of the Macan diesel

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

To early to say ... they may firm up, market will dictate level...
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

Paul

Post by Paul »

nsm3 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 am OPC Solihull have just knocked £4K off a 3k mile SD, they had up for £63k. A sign of the weakening of SD residuals, following the dropping of the model? Hold onto your hats!
...or,that at £63K it was hugely over-priced and should have been 59995 all along😉 (which is still the best part of £12K over basic list price ignoring options)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Paul wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 pm
nsm3 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:58 am OPC Solihull have just knocked £4K off a 3k mile SD, they had up for £63k. A sign of the weakening of SD residuals, following the dropping of the model? Hold onto your hats!
...or,that at £63K it was hugely over-priced and should have been 59995 all along😉 (which is still the best part of £12K over basic list price ignoring options)
+1. Way too optimistic to list at £63k for a 3k miles SD.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
eakae

Post by eakae »

I’m keen on some contrarian buying. Today I heard of an interesting alternative fuel. It’s made from plastic waste and can be used in diesel engines. It is reportedly 66% greener than current diesel but the downside is that it’ll probably be at least 25% more expensive.... To be honest, it’s probably too good to be true but if you can pick up a nice discount on a diesel car could be worth a punt. I quite fancy the Cayenne S 4.2 V6...
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

eakae wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:15 pm I’m keen on some contrarian buying. Today I heard of an interesting alternative fuel. It’s made from plastic waste and can be used in diesel engines. It is reportedly 66% greener than current diesel but the downside is that it’ll probably be at least 25% more expensive.... To be honest, it’s probably too good to be true but if you can pick up a nice discount on a diesel car could be worth a punt. I quite fancy the Cayenne S 4.2 V6...
This is old news and has been about for some time, it was sold commercially in Poland & Ireland for some time with the benefit of subsidies - but remove the subsidies they struggled commercially. The problem is the ideal feedstocks for this is PE & PP, exactly the same feedstocks that are easily recycled and hence commercially valuable - so the process is commercially nonviable
Dont believe the marketing hipe that it takes any plastic, they will have a tolerance to PET & PVC but they produce benzoic acid & HCL respectively which will quickly destroy any plant
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
eakae

Post by eakae »

[/quote]

This is old news and has been about for some time, it was sold commercially in Poland & Ireland for some time with the benefit of subsidies - but remove the subsidies they struggled commercially. The problem is the ideal feedstocks for this is PE & PP, exactly the same feedstocks that are easily recycled and hence commercially valuable - so the process is commercially nonviable
Dont believe the marketing hipe that it takes any plastic, they will have a tolerance to PET & PVC but they produce benzoic acid & HCL respectively which will quickly destroy any plant
[/quote]

As I say, it sounded too good to be true. I guess what piqued my interest was the involvement of an energy and commodity company. However, as you say probably all marketing hype. Thank you for clarifying.

I still like the idea of picking up a diesel for a decent discount. The threat of a congestion charge within the north/south circular is a minor irritation but other than that...
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Dont get me wrong it works very well technically and with the correct feed stock, ie low value films, contaminated plastic etc etc it can be a valuable addition to the circular economy - just don't expect a diesel pump at your back door in place of your recycling bin anytime soon.

Recycling is all about commercial drivers, if there is a commercial value in a product someone will find out how to make some value, the problem is the lack of goverment direction to the councils and a waste policy that incentivises shipping waste of shore rather than recycling it in the UK.
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Yep...

image.jpg

Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Looks like I may have been unduly panicking about SD residuals?

image.png

Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ha ha! And it's listed at that price on the Porsche Hatfield website too!

Their Sales Manager is clearly a born optimist! :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018