Impressed by all-season tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Been driving to and from work in a fair bit of snow today and have been thoroughly impressed by the grip offered up from the all season tyres, well in excess of what I would have expected, whether braking, turning or accelerating.

Whilst I'm sure no match for full winters, I'm really pleased I opted for them as a no fuss compromise. The only real worry was all the other drivers slithering about on their summer tyres :o
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17

spook

Post by spook »

Yep but its the others you have to watch out for ! Not being able to stop at side junctions is the classic.

its still good feeling to know you have some grip.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
John_M

Post by John_M »

Yes I am please I picked them - however to paraphrase Scotty - "they cannae change the laws of physics!" as I have found in past on different car, they will still lose traction on ice and ended up in 4 wheel slide on ice I wasn't expecting
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

You need winter tyres for the best grip on snow and ice. I had them on a rwd Merc saloon once, when we used to get harder winters (sic) and people were amazed how it would get to places that even 4x4s couldn't get grip (on their summer tyres).
Last edited by SAC1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

I have been impressed too with the all season tyres. No problems at all in the snow.
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Summer tyres aren't too great! The Macan goes OK if you are careful and allow plenty of stopping distance. Less good than I expected but useable. Certainly a lot less grip than the PEC low friction surfaces! I have also found the traction control doesn't necessarily control traction - accelerating too hard just causes all of the wheels to spin where I would have expected it to limit the power to stop this. Anyway, it works OK but if I thought we were going to get this every year, I would certainly get some all seasons or winters. Good to hear the all seasons work well - I imagine you are feeling smug!
John_M

Post by John_M »

No - because the boss knows I have a car capable of handling the weather there is no excuse, well except I can work from home and usually do at least once a week and boss is based in USA so I see him a couple of times a year
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I have had all seasons on both my Macans. Very impressed at how they perform in difficult conditions. Still loads of tread depth left at 22,500 miles. Disappointed to note that the configurator no longer offers all seasons as an option in European markets ( have looked at U.K. , German , Netherlands and Swedish configurator and all seasons not offered on any of those configurators). I do note that all seasons are still a standard fit on 19” and 20” wheels on the US website ( with summers as a no cost option ) and all seasons as a no cost option on the Canadian configurator. If anyone is ordering a new Macan and wants all seasons I would get your dealer to request factory to include all seasons as a no cost option. Code for a 20” all season tyre is H6N.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

For those who cannot make up their minds here is a tyre manufacturers take on both.

ALL-SEASON Tyres
An all-season tire offers a balance of capabilities, providing acceptable performance in wet and dry conditions, as well as traction in snow.
Built for the average driver, all-season tyres have moderate tread depths and rubber compounds that are engineered to provide longer tread life than summer tyres, which have shallower tread depths. All-season tyres are offered in many types/models, sizes, load capacities, and speed ratings for use on a wide variety of vehicles from economy cars to sedans to mini-vans to pickup trucks. They tend to provide ride comfort, handling, and other performance attributes suitable for most drivers.

All-season tyres perform well in warm weather, but they may offer less grip than summer tyres, sacrificing some steering, braking, and cornering capabilities. This trade off is necessary for all-season tyres to be able to provide acceptable performance in light winter conditions and provide longer tread life.
All-season tyres are capable of providing traction in winter, but are not the best tire to use in extreme winter driving conditions. Drivers who encounter extreme winter weather may want to consider switching to snow tyres in the winter.
Because all-season tyres offer a blend of summer and winter performance, they are often a good option for drivers in moderate climates and driving conditions.

SUMMER Tyres
Summer tyres are ideal for high performance vehicles, and are built for speed and agility. They offer increased responsiveness, cornering, and braking capabilities. This is typically attributed to specialized tread patterns and rubber compounds that allow for improved precision on the road. The tread patterns of summer tyres have less grooving and put more rubber in contact with the road. They are design­ed to provide maximum road-holding grip. The tread compounds of summer tyres are designed to remain more flexible, allowing for better traction and grip. Summer tyres may have shallower tread depths that allow for more stability when pushed closer to their limits.

Dimensional characteristics (such as the tire’s width, aspect ratio, and rim diameter), speed capability, and other design features make summer tyres more suitable and capable for increased performance in wet and dry conditions on high-performance, sports-oriented vehicles. Surprising to some, summer tyres provide better performance in wet driving conditions, thanks to unique tread patterns that help evacuate water and resist hydroplaning.
When it comes to winter driving, all-season tyres may be more suitable than summer tyres, given their blend of summer and winter performance capabilities, but we recommend considering making the switch to Winters to get optimal traction and performance in extreme winter conditions.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ltc

Post by Ltc »

Very informative Col. I opted for all seasons which for me, the average driver (!), will be fine.
Graphite Blue Macan GTS - Collected 5th March 2018
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJIZKYP2