Impressed by all-season tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:02 am Pete, John and others - I would like to thank you for this informative debate. ;)

You have helped me to decide to purchase a winter wheel/tyre set for the first time ever, for my new 911 T, which will be a year-round daily driver.

I'll no doubt be asking advice on here on my planned purchase, once I have the new car. :geek:

Cheers,

Simon
Personally I think it's a no-brainer on a 911 that's going to be used all year round. Just change wheels at the end of Nov/ early Dec and change back in spring. On pretty much every day of the year you will then have excellent tyre performance and your summer set will not get battered by salt over the winter. I only have summer tyres on my classic 911, but I don't drive it in the winter!

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Giz9, thank you very much for sharing that video. I also found the two AutoExpress ones afterwards really interesting too.

Very illuminating! :geek:

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:35 am
Wing Commander wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:02 am Pete, John and others - I would like to thank you for this informative debate. ;)

You have helped me to decide to purchase a winter wheel/tyre set for the first time ever, for my new 911 T, which will be a year-round daily driver.

I'll no doubt be asking advice on here on my planned purchase, once I have the new car. :geek: Cheers, Simon
Personally I think it's a no-brainer on a 911 that's going to be used all year round. Just change wheels at the end of Nov/ early Dec and change back in spring. On pretty much every day of the year you will then have excellent tyre performance and your summer set will not get battered by salt over the winter. I only have summer tyres on my classic 911, but I don't drive it in the winter!

Cheers, Peteski. Yes, having done some reading and watched some videos, I agree: no brainer.

I think it makes sense to go for 19" winter wheels/tyres to complement my 20" summer wheel/tyre set.

Just need to negotiate a good deal with an OPC and check to see if my PCGB membership will get me a discount (10%?).
Simon

John_M

Post by John_M »

Giz9 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 am Do you mean have I used winter tyres? Yes, I have them on my car right now. They are excellent at stopping in the snow as well as driving up hills. And prior to this winter I had all-seasons. Have you used a set of winter tyres?

There are loads of comparisons on Youtube but this one is illuminating - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
No All Seasons.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

John_M wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Giz9 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 am Do you mean have I used winter tyres? Yes, I have them on my car right now. They are excellent at stopping in the snow as well as driving up hills. And prior to this winter I had all-seasons. Have you used a set of winter tyres?

There are loads of comparisons on Youtube but this one is illuminating - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
No All Seasons.

That video compares all season tyres and winter tyres.
Simon

John_M

Post by John_M »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pmThat video compares all season tyres and winter tyres.
As Peteski points out all seasons are variable - so how many all seasons did they compare? My argument though is not that All Seasons are as good as Winter Tyres, but they will likely do all that is needed for most drivers especially when compared to modern summers. It is very easy to look at single maximum performance/figures and think that is best but in reality for most people a good average over a broader range is often better for their usage.

But I have to wonder how I coped on all that snow in a beaten up Maxi all those years ago.
John_M

Post by John_M »

Peteski wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:31 am
John_M wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am some stuff
I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you, as you say it's not really a thought provoking debate. So do whatever you like and so will I. Others can research and make their own minds up. If you are trying to convince me that all-season tyres would be a better choice year round for the UK, then you are wasting your own time too. If you arguing for the benefit of others then they are welcome to your wisdom!
whatever
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

John_M wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pmThat video compares all season tyres and winter tyres.
But I have to wonder how I coped on all that snow in a beaten up Maxi all those years ago.
Maxis were very low powered / low torque and FWD compared to modern day Porsche with RWD / AWD. The Maxi ran on narrow tread width e.g. 155/80R13 section tyres. Also 'summer' tyres back in the Maxi days were generally block patterns. Today's summer tyres are generally rib pattern construction and with much wider tread sections. So the Maxi could 'cut through' the snow., the car's power didn't overwhelm the low friction grip and the block pattern aided traction. Et voila a 2CV was even better on snow!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 pm
John_M wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm
Maxis were very low powered / low torque and FWD compared to modern day Porsche with RWD / AWD. The Maxi ran on narrow tread width e.g. 155/80R13 section tyres. Also 'summer' tyres back in the Maxi days were generally block patterns. Today's summer tyres are generally rib pattern construction and with much wider tread sections. So the Maxi could 'cut through' the snow., the car's power didn't overwhelm the low friction grip and the block pattern aided traction. Et voila a 2CV was even better on snow!
But neither were they assisted by enough computer power to run a small country.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
John_M

Post by John_M »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 pm Maxis were very low powered / low torque and FWD compared to modern day Porsche with RWD / AWD. The Maxi ran on narrow tread width e.g. 155/80R13 section tyres. Also 'summer' tyres back in the Maxi days were generally block patterns. Today's summer tyres are generally rib pattern construction and with much wider tread sections. So the Maxi could 'cut through' the snow., the car's power didn't overwhelm the low friction grip and the block pattern aided traction. Et voila a 2CV was even better on snow!
You know there is a pedal called a throttle and if you press it hard on snow, then even a Maxi could overwhelm the limited friction the tyres gave especially if they were worn and not best make going and unlike a Macan it only had to spin one wheel.