Impressed by all-season tyres

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
John_M

Post by John_M »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 pm
John_M wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Giz9 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 am Do you mean have I used winter tyres? Yes, I have them on my car right now. They are excellent at stopping in the snow as well as driving up hills. And prior to this winter I had all-seasons. Have you used a set of winter tyres?

There are loads of comparisons on Youtube but this one is illuminating - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y
No All Seasons.

That video compares all season tyres and winter tyres.
Last time I can recall having to drive on snow anything like the video was 2012, I recall driving more often on such back when I first started driving but that may just be memory playing tricks.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:40 pm
I think it makes sense to go for 19" winter wheels/tyres to complement my 20" summer wheel/tyre set.
Yes, that is a good idea. I ran 18" winters, 19" summers on my 997.2 C4S. Winter tyres do work better on the taller profiles. Also a good idea to choose a winter wheel design that is very easy to clean!
Deleted User 1874

John_M wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm But I have to wonder how I coped on all that snow in a beaten up Maxi all those years ago.
Great reasoning again right there. It's like saying I wonder how my grandad coped with an outdoor toilet.
Deleted User 1874

This is a fairly simplistic, but well reasoned review of all modern tyre types.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Is ... nd-out.htm

The overall conclusion, which I sort of agree with although I would run summer/winter tyres on pretty much any car:-

"Everyone has a different priority for their own safety, which is why we've provided all the data collected to help you decide which type of tyre works best for your own circumstances. Michelin haven't performed the impossible with the new CrossClimate, but they have moved the balance of compromise to a more comfortable point for what we see as the average year round motoring in the UK. For ultimate performance, or on larger, more powerful cars, a dedicated summer and winter tyre combination is still the most effective choice."

It was also very interesting to see how well the full winter tyre performed at 15 C on a wet track (it was actually the fastest overall, even beating the summer tyre). I've run that very tyre over a number of UK winters and found it to be excellent in all UK winter conditions, not just snow or below 7 deg C as some people think.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thanks, Peteski. Again, interesting reading. The conclusion I draw is that, if affordable, the ideal set up is 'summer' tyres in the warmer months & full winters in the colder 4-6 months of the year. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 am
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:40 pm I think it makes sense to go for 19" winter wheels/tyres to complement my 20" summer wheel/tyre set.
Yes, that is a good idea. I ran 18" winters, 19" summers on my 997.2 C4S. Winter tyres do work better on the taller profiles. Also a good idea to choose a winter wheel design that is very easy to clean!

Thanks. Looks like these 19"s are the only winter tyres/wheels that Porsche do for the 991.2 that are smaller than 20".

(Won't let me post the pics. I'll try again this evening.)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 am Thanks, Peteski. Again, interesting reading. The conclusion I draw is that, if affordable, the ideal set up is 'summer' tyres in the warmer months & full winters in the colder 4-6 months of the year. :geek:
It really is that simple. Another thing to bear in mind is that winter tyres need a minimum of around 4 mm tread to give maximum grip in the worst conditions. They are not tyres you should really consider wearing down to the legal minimum. But I find a set will get you through several winters with ease and you get more efficient wear on both your summer and winter sets.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Peteski wrote:
Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 am Thanks, Peteski. Again, interesting reading. The conclusion I draw is that, if affordable, the ideal set up is 'summer' tyres in the warmer months & full winters in the colder 4-6 months of the year. :geek:
It really is that simple. Another thing to bear in mind is that winter tyres need a minimum of around 4 mm tread to give maximum grip in the worst conditions. They are not tyres you should really consider wearing down to the legal minimum. But I find a set will get you through several winters with ease and you get more efficient wear on both your summer and winter sets.
A novice question ..... how important (if at all) is it to have a winter wheel and tyre set versus just changing tyres on the same rims? .... assuming winter tyres available for those size wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Changing tyres on the same rims can “ stretch” and wear the tyre bead if you’re being ultra critical (but you’d need to swap a fair few times before it became a real issue)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

A good question, Hawkeye and I'd like to know the answer too.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate