Key 'Hack'

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Thought I'd share something with the group that might be of interest.

I've never been that in love with the standard key that comes with the car, I didn't dislike it enough to pay the cost of custom painting it though.

Anyway, I was looking to distinguish the keys on the Macan that's coming and the memory function will mean a single shared key is not going to work.

I found a company called Fassport who operate through Amazon. Basically, you can order the side shells as a pair (left and right side) for a key and they're around £7. Quality is indistinguishable from OEM but colour matching is not quite there.

That said, black and the grey look great. My wife has gone for an acid yellow per the e-hybrid colour as it'll make it easier to find in her handbag. I've gone and replaced the keys on the other cars with grey which looks very similar to volcano grey and makes the key look a lot better.

Surprisingly good for £7 and I think the negative reviews on Amazon are simply people who expected perfect colour matching. They do around 2 dozen colours and I had actually ordered a few to make a choice and asked to do a return and substitution for what I wanted. They said not to worry and to keep the choices that didn't work and they would send me the substitutes FOC. No affiliation to the seller of course, just a happy customer.

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

What do I think of keys?
Well I can say it was only a week ago I realised the Porsche key was shaped like s car. And that was only after someone told me.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Tom 2000 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:58 pm What do I think of keys?
Well I can say it was only a week ago I realised the Porsche key was shaped like s car. And that was only after someone told me.
:lol:

You might find this interesting: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/christo ... 10538.html
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

alxgb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am

You might find this interesting: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/christo ... 10538.html
How do I break this to you gently. No, not really.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

Cheers for the heads up. I was the sucker that forked out for colour matched keys. Mine is looking pretty good after two years with a bit of wear around the tip as I don't use keyless. My wife's is fooked - she just lobs it in to her handbag amongst the bottomless pit of nail files, keys, pens without tops and mini cheddars!

I shall take a look.

I do have a spare set from the OPC that are still in the bag but I just can't bring myself to put them on my wife's key as they will last a week at best.
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Do you have to break the key apart or do the new bits pop on and the old bits pop off

Thanks
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

Pop on - pictures on Amazon
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Sim_Nugget wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 am Cheers for the heads up. I was the sucker that forked out for colour matched keys. Mine is looking pretty good after two years with a bit of wear around the tip as I don't use keyless. My wife's is fooked - she just lobs it in to her handbag amongst the bottomless pit of nail files, keys, pens without tops and mini cheddars!

I shall take a look.

I do have a spare set from the OPC that are still in the bag but I just can't bring myself to put them on my wife's key as they will last a week at best.
You can get them in Pink so that she can spot them amongst the mini cheddars 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There are many sources for these and quite a few on here have bought from China. My Wife chose green so she could find it in her huge bag that is full of I-don't-what-and-am-too-scared-to-ask!

The originals pop off very easily. Gently prise off one end with a sharp blade and clip the new ones on. 30 second job.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Tom 2000 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 am
alxgb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am

How do I break this to you gently. No, not really.
Ok then. Sorry to disappoint.