Macan turbo

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

A "Yes" vote to PTV option here too! ;-)

Handy on those European mountain passes. ;-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:49 am
PSEE wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Hope this helps... ;)

This is taken from an Excellence article referenced from the macanforum thread (page 5 or 6) at the following URL:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine- ... inter.html

Porsche Torque Vectoring & Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV & PTV Plus)

911 Carrera: $1,320 (PTV) & $1,490 (PTV Plus)
911 Carrera S: $1,320 (PTV) & $1,490 (PTV Plus)
Boxster & Boxster S: $1,320 (PTV)
Cayman & Cayman S: $1,320 (PTV)
Cayenne models: $1,490 (PTV Plus)
Panamera models: $5,000 (PTV Plus only offered in conjunction with PDCC)*

Why don’t we hear about limited-slip differentials in new Porsches anymore? Because torque-vectoring systems have taken over. A limited-slip diff responds to wheel slip and transfers torque to the driven wheel with more traction (in a turn, for example, torque is transferred from inside wheel
to outside wheel); a torque vectoring system does this as well, but also brakes the inside rear wheel as soon as you drive into a corner, helping to initiate turn-in. This results in crisp corner entry and stable corner exit with little or no unwanted understeer or oversteer. A Porsche ordered without
the PTV or PTV Plus options will have an open differential, which does not transfer torque to the driven wheel with more traction, decreasing the car’s traction and stability.

The main difference between PTV and PTV Plus is a matter of mechanical versus electronic operation of the differential lock. Because PTV Plus has
an electronically operated diff lock, its torque distribution is infinitely variable and, consequently, more dynamically capable than PTV, which relies
on a mechanical limited-slip differential. Our experiences with torque vectoring all have been positive because it significantly enhances handling – but you may not notice the difference it makes unless you’ve driven the same car without it.
I think what you were experiencing in the snow was the standard traction control system doing its job. The system comprises:

Porsche Traction Management (PTM): active all-wheel drive with electronic controlled, map-controlled multi-plate clutch, automatic limited-slip differential (ABD) and traction-slip control (ASR)

ABD and ASR act in a similar way to a limited slip differential in that they prevent slip in the wheel(s) with less grip thus diverting power to those that do. This is particularly beneficial, and most noticeable, in low speed, low traction conditions.

PTV+ is aimed more at steering precision in cornering, particularly at higher speeds.
As standard the macan only has a differential between the front and rear axle. If you want a rear differential between the rear left and rear right wheels, you have to spec PTV+ which includes this electronically controlled differential as well as the brakes being applied on the inner rear wheel when needed to swing the car around corners as it where. You can see it underneeth on the picture attached.
Yes I know Orangebulldog. I was avoiding overcomplicating things, if that's possible! The main point is that the standard setup in the Macan has a very effective traction control system for slippery conditions such as PSEE experienced in last week's snow. In particular, ABD replicates the action of a limited slip diff in these conditions.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

I’m sure I have a box like in the picture above on my GTS but haven’t specced PTV. I’ll check later in the week when I’ve got my car. If anyone else gets there before me, I appreciate you getting on your knees......
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

:D
Nosmo wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm I’m sure I have a box like in the picture above on my GTS but haven’t specced PTV. I’ll check later in the week when I’ve got my car. If anyone else gets there before me, I appreciate you getting on your knees......
Am89

Post by Am89 »

On a side note to the PTV, has anyone had any good / bad experience with GC motors in Harrogate? Seen a nice Macan Turbo there with pretty much the full
Spec I’m after apart from extended leather and PTV..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Orangebulldog wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 pm :D
Nosmo wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm I’m sure I have a box like in the picture above on my GTS but haven’t specced PTV. I’ll check later in the week when I’ve got my car. If anyone else gets there before me, I appreciate you getting on your knees......
To save Nosmo’s knees.......

302C2DF0-D241-41AF-8B5A-5C39DE91D9D9.jpeg

5587AEF4-75CB-44FB-82ED-4F3C71531C55.jpeg

Mine’s a sept ‘16 GTS (May build) with no PVTS...

and as orangebuldog says, missing the little bix of tricks fixed to the right had side (that said, I’ve not yet found the handling limit😳)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Sorry Paul for the long pause - Thank you. I have been travelling for work. Exactly looks like that. Standard div or secretly has been delivered with PTV?

Edited: On closer inspection of the pictures - There is a bit missing on the right hand side of our div when you compare it to the picture from orangebulldog.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18