Macan spec - advice please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BlueHorseshoe

Post by BlueHorseshoe »

Hi guys, we are buying our first family car and have settled on the Macan. In case of interest, the spec we have so far can be seen below (please feel free to comment / recommend additions or removals):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJHVMC10

Going through the forums, I can see that a lot of people rave about the Sports Design package. The description on the website sounds decent enough, but looking at the photos on the Porsche website I can barely tell the difference, so not sure what I would really be paying for. Has anyone seen/done a photo comparison of SD v. Regular?

I’ve also seen people comment that there is no point in paying for the SD on an S model with decent spec, when it is better value to just go for the GTS, but with little explanation. If anyone has done this comparison would you mind sharing your thoughts?

Many thanks,
Ed

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I would add a spare wheel
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Col M

Post by Col M »

I would upgrade from the halogen headlights... especially if you're rural based. I don't think that the SD is "effective" with a dark exterior.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col M wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:02 pm I would upgrade from the halogen headlights... especially if you're rural based. I don't think that the SD is "effective" with a dark exterior.
+1. Definitely to the bi-xenons as a minimum or if you want the LEDs. Somethings could be dropped for the headlight upgrade if budget is an issue.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
BlueHorseshoe

Post by BlueHorseshoe »

OK, so a couple of interesting points there.

1. SD doesn’t work so well with dark exteriors: is that just because the alternative front bumper design (with the metal bit in the middle of the fins) is not that visible in dark colours?

2. Upgrading from Halogen: it’s a good point, and one that I have been wondering about. I have been hesitating because I don’t really know the difference between these of H v. B-X v. LED. Any advice here would be appreciated. For context, in case relevant, we live in central London, but occasionally drive up to visit other parts of the country (so not exactly “rural”).
Paul

Post by Paul »

The “better value” GTS is based on many “ ifs” and “ must-haves”
Briefly, and from memory, the GTS gives PASM, 20 inch wheels, sports exhaust, sports design package, xenons, a bit more leather (or alcantara) interior, lowered stiffer suspension as standard.....all of which, IF YOU WANTED THEM, add up to less than the increase in list price (sorry for the shouty caps!)
But beware....you start off with the base GTS, and then you will almost certainly add more options....😊

Re the lights...this is worth 5 minutes of your life😉

https://youtu.be/Bqv9GdiFQUg
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col M

Post by Col M »

Headlight comparison

https://youtu.be/Bqv9GdiFQUg
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
BlueHorseshoe

Post by BlueHorseshoe »

Col M, thanks, that’s hugely helpful
BlueHorseshoe

Post by BlueHorseshoe »

Thanks Paul. Just went through the GTS calculation and see your point!
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Just my two penneth

If you had darkened glass all round that comes to less than the roll up blinds and dimming mirrors and the dark glass removes the need for this

PASM is more than adequate in my view as opposed to air suspension

Do you really need to spend £400 on body colour sideblades when you are getting a dark blue car, the standard black blades will hardly be obvious anyway

Just those things above save close on £2000 I think and is based on personal experience

If you live in central London with occasional trips elsewhere, do you really need to spend the money on lane change assist and the same can be said about adaptive cruise control when cruise is std anyway

Just food for thought as it is easy to go mad on the configurator and end up with a load of things you actually will either never use or ever get value for

On the flip side, pano roof, light package, xenons, Leather, memory seats are all really good value and things you will use on most if not every trip
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0