Quick question / advice

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BlueHorseshoe

Post by BlueHorseshoe »

Thanks to all who have posted replies to my earlier questions. Will respond with thanks to you shortly.

I just went to order my Macan and the dealer said that I would have to pay another £700-800 for some kind of gTech coating system. Nothing to do with Porsche, everything to do with EU regulation, but if I don’t pay for it the paintwork will be very vulnerable (gave the example of a bird dropping leaving a permanent stain). This was complete news to me, but then again I’ve never bought a car before. Is this just bullsh1t or is a special coating something that I really ought to have?

Seems like Porsche should be supplying cars with a decent paint job, but they charge for everything else, so maybe this is also extra.

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

The scare stories that the dealer is telling you are bullshit as you've correctly identified. On the other hand there are a number of coating systems (gtech being just one of them) that will keep your Macan looking good. Have a look through the detailing section of the forum.

The real key to all these systems is the original preparation and application and that's where dealer systems tend to fall down. If you're happy regularly cleaning and polishing your car, save yourself the money. Otherwise you have to decide between the dealer system or a professional detailer. There are strongly held opinions on this forum on the merits of detailing and you can see some examples in the gallery section and form your own opinion.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel