should i buy a Macan S Disel

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Monty 123

Post by Monty 123 »

Hi guys,got a question ...
is it a good idea to buy Macan diesel these days?i am concerned that I wont be able to sell it in a couple of years time and get a good value for it
Please ,could I pick up your brains
Many grateful thanks

M

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi Monty. I was in my local dealer last week and from their perspective, they said they thought that Porsche will return to market with a diesel. They were cautiously optimistic about residuals and still getting enquiries from customers. To balance that, there are certainly new / pre-reg cars in the dealer network available with discounts attached as one forum member has recently purchased, so if you are looking new, hunt around for a deal.

I am personally looking to sell mine (see the for sale section), but not because of any loss of confidence in diesel, more that I just fancy a change and to something a bit more sporty.

Good luck with your dilemma / search.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I wouldn’t buy a diesel at this stage as the future is too uncertain. However if you plan to keep it for a very long time then potential future higher depreciation may not be as much of an issue as the value will even put over time.

But for now if you want a Macan go petrol.
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

The choice between Petrol & Diesel really comes down to personal circumstance, personally I could not have considered a petrol Macan and I would have went for a 991 or a Tesla S if the D was not available.

We are at a VHS / Betamax situation just now regarding ICE vs electric and I think the next 5 -10 years is going to be interesting.

Basically you buy what you need rather than any Chrystal ball forecast on depreciation - life is too short to worry about what may happen :-)
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

In a word ..... No.

The underpowered Audi engine in the SD coupled with a very sluggish throttle and gearbox response in comfort mode make the SD only really good at motorway cruising or being in Sport mode for everyday driving.

Despite what others will respond the SD is not even very economical, I managed only an actual 33mpg where the MFD showed 36/37mpg.

Best thing I did was to get rid of it and buy a proper Porsche engined Macan, forget the SD and buy an S or GTS.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Tough choice.. If it’s a long term purchase and you are going to benefit from the mpg factor, then I don’t thing it’s a bad idea, however I would not buy a new one , prices seem to be all over the place at the moment. However any Porsche Macan is a huge amount of money to buy, it was for me , I spent a year watching the diesel think escalate, and my choice was to buy a GTS... 8k above what I would have spent on the SD, plus a 1k fuel cost per annum. I think In this situation you may want to buy with your head rather than your heart. Whatever you do I’m sure you will be happy, don’t forget if you go for a s... there’s a facelift soon, factor this into your purchase too.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Bernard80

Post by Bernard80 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 am In a word ..... No.

The underpowered Audi engine in the SD coupled with a very sluggish throttle and gearbox response in comfort mode make the SD only really good at motorway cruising or being in Sport mode for everyday driving.

Despite what others will respond the SD is not even very economical, I managed only an actual 33mpg where the MFD showed 36/37mpg.

Best thing I did was to get rid of it and buy a proper Porsche engined Macan, forget the SD and buy an S or GTS.
Have to disagree with this!

It depends on your circumstances, if you’re doing high mileage and need and SUV then the SD is best in class and the best Diesel engine I’ve driven.

I tend to average mid to high thirties mpg
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Bernard80 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 am In a word ..... No.

Have to disagree with this!

It depends on your circumstances, if you’re doing high mileage and need and SUV then the SD is best in class and the best Diesel engine I’ve driven.

I tend to average mid to high thirties mpg
+1. That’s why I have just bought my third Macan diesel. Don’t miss my previous 2010 Cayman or 2012 Boxster despite their lovely 6 cylinder petrol engines. In everyday life the diesel Macan has plenty of grunt coupled with pretty decent economy. As I only got an average of 19/21 mpg in the 987.2 Cayman and 981 Boxster I think an average 33-35 mpg for an SUV is pretty good. Once the PDK gearbox learns your driving style I find it very responsive. If you need a bit of extra poke then there is always the Sport button.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I enjoyed my SD and covered 9000 miles in 8 months at approx 35 mpg overall (close to 40 at M-way speeds and a bit less around town) I never found it underpowered or lacking - well, maybe when trying to accelerated hard over 90mph but hey!
Contrast this to my current GTS, 15000 miles in 18 months averaging 24 mpg and high teens when moving along...(both mpg examples measured on Fuelly; as Col points out, the trip computer can be a bit optimistic unless you take the whole life figure which stops at 9999 miles)
If you’re covering 12 - 15 K miles then a diesel is well worth it, especially as Porsche charged no premium for th3 diesel derivative unlike other manufacturers.
Residuals is a whole different story and nobody knows! Many will make educated guesses and my educated guess would be that in 3 or 4 years time you will still get a good % residual for a premium diesel SUV on the used car market.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The answer to the poster's question will very much depend on which derivative the person answering owns ;)

Don't expect overly impartial advice therefore however the well publicised negative vibes about diesel will resound further than this forum therefore Joe public may decide diesel is a no no which is where the values could take a hammering. To some extent this is already happening and there is no real evidence to show it will change.