Cruise Controls - unintuitive?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
happy days

Post by happy days »

Using CC on my car the other day, I was reminded of how unintuitive the controls are. Wouldn't it be more sensible if the controls were

stalk up - increase speed
stalk down - reduce speed
stalk push - resume
stalk pull - cancel

To me they're 90 deg out of sync.
Macan S D
718 S

Paul

Post by Paul »

To me, push to go faster, pull back to slow down is fine, like the throttle pedal.

I guess it’s what you’re used to. The biggest frustraion for me is that manufacturers don’t have a common way if doing things. They managed it with indicators / main / dip beam, why not other functions? We have 4 cars on the drive and they are all just that little bit different!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have found Audi and Porsche to be different which seems strange.
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

My salesman described it to me as push to go faster/ pull to go slower . Like the throttle pedal,which seems very intuitive to me.
I sometimes hit the indicator stalk when trying to re-engage the CC .
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

We have a Q5 with the CC stalk in the same place, but all different control actions. I get into a right pickle, swapping from one to the other!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am
stalk push - resume
stalk pull - cancel
My Tesla is like that, except pull to activate, push to cancel. Also has a twist forward to reduce gap to car in front, twist rearward to increase gap. All very intuitive. Also double pull to activate full Autopilot (throttle, braking and steering control).
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Took me a while to get used to the opposite ways of operation compared to the Audi I had prior.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

My wife has an Audi TT roadster, and I was surprised to find that my Macan has a totally different way of operating the cruise control. Is the Macan's control done differently just to distinguish it from other cars?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Macman

Post by Macman »

I had a 2011 Merc C Class and a 996.2 at the same time a few years ago. Both stalk cruise control, both completely different operation, I never did get my head around using them, but the Merc seemed more intuitive: up to speed up and down to slow down.

Soon I’ll have my BMW 320d steering wheel buttons plus a Macan with stalk control to contend with :roll: First world problems eh?
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

happy days wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am Using CC on my car the other day, I was reminded of how unintuitive the controls are. Wouldn't it be more sensible if the controls were

stalk push - resume
stalk pull - cancel

To me they're 90 deg out of sync.
Same on my Panamera and I guess all Porsche models, and the Panny parking brake is counter-intuitive to me at least. Push in/away to activate, pull towards you to release. Porsche eh! The stuff we have to tolerate!!!!
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16