GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

I picked my GTS up on March 3rd and immediately spent £2,500 on having it detailed. 470 miles later (ironically on my way back from the Porsche Silverstone Experience), the car started clanging, the warning light came on and I spent the next 2.5 hours on the hard shoulder awaiting rescue.
Fast forward 2 days and I have been told that it needs a new engine. On draining it they discovered it was full of metal filings. So far the dealership have been great, but this was my first Porsche and since I specced it out in August not a day has gone by when I didn’t look forward to getting it. In the week and a bit I had it I was absolutely in love so, although it is only a car, I’m pretty devastated.

Having been following this forum a while I know there is a lot of expertise on here, so I would welcome some views and opinions on the following. I basically have 3 choices:

1. Get a refund a buy a different brand. Unfortunately, other than maybe the Levante, there is no car that I can find that gets the pulse racing like my Macan did. There will be no thrill for me landing a Merc or BMW.

2. Let them change the engine. They have not yet told me how long this will take because Porsche haven’t told them how quickly they can get one. But it’s going to be a number of weeks I suspect. The advantage is that I get MY car back. The disadvantage is that my car is damaged goods. Will I always be slightly nervous that something else will go wrong? Also, the engine was put in as part of a factory build. Surely that’s how it should be done rather than replaced in a garage workshop? And, the thrill of having an 18 plate for 6 months will be gone. (Plus I bought a personalised plate which makes sense on no other car than this one (or an identical replacement)).

3. Ask for a new Macan to be built. If I do this I’ll be waiting awhile no doubt. Also, with the new model coming out my car will be closer to looking like an “old” one soon after I get it. I can’t wait for a new version GTS because that could be 2 years ago. I could, I suppose, go for one of the first new versions that roll off the line, but it won’t be a GTS.

Any views/opinions would be welcomed.

Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

spook

Post by spook »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your GTS but things do go wrong every now and then, but i'm sure your pretty annoyed at the moment.

In 2006 (long time ago i know) I had a new engine fitted to my boxster after the main bearing collapsed with just a couple of weeks left in the 2 year warranty, oil all over the road etc.
It was off the road about a week.

You need to wait until you know how long it will take to get and replace the engine, once you know that timescale you can make a decision.
Last edited by spook on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

I'd say get the engine replaced. it will be as new when you get it back. Get a decent loaner off the OPC and add mile to their car. that way, you'll have a lower mileage car when it comes time to change.

I had a similar situation with an 02 Renault clio back in the day. I had had it about 3 months, and it took them c. 3 weeks to replace the engine. They let me drive around in a megane coupe for the time (felt great as I was only 19!)

As people have said above, unfortunately, these things can happen. The brand value should be judged on what they do to rectify the problem (and how well they communicate resolution to you) not that the problem occurred in the first place. once the eff up the resolution, then it's time to go to town! ha

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I agree with the points above. I'd push for a really nice loaner given the circumstances (thinking 911), and have fun ragging it.

Given you've spent 2.5k on detailing which may be a problem getting back, take the engine rebuild. It'll be perfect on return and they'll owe you a favour for not pushing to reject it. And the 18 plate hardly matters if you're running a private plate. Just my 2p.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

N13LXC wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 am I'd say get the engine replaced. it will be as new when you get it back. Get a decent loaner off the OPC and add mile to their car. that way, you'll have a lower mileage car when it comes time to change.

I had a similar situation with an 02 Renault clio back in the day. I had had it about 3 months, and it took them c. 3 weeks to replace the engine. They let me drive around in a megane coupe for the time (felt great as I was only 19!)

As people have said above, unfortunately, these things can happen. The brand value should be judged on what they do to rectify the problem (and how well they communicate resolution to you) not that the problem occurred in the first place. once the eff up the resolution, then it's time to go to town! ha

Good luck with whatever you decide!
I agree it's not a pleasant experience, which is nowadays very rare. I also had it long time back with a Saab 9000 at 120 miles. Replacing the unit complete is no big deal and will not affect its value just take a decent loaner from them and clock up the miles.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

How long were you intending to own the GTS.

If only a year, get a full refund and move on to another marque.

If a couple of years then echo above, you need a top quality loaner not some waste of space 2.0 Macan.

£2500 on detailing, what have you had done, gold plating?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Really sorry to hear of your experience. :(

As above, I would go for Porsche replacing the engine.

They must ensure that you get the car back in pristine (better than showroom) condition, bearing in mind your £2,500 spent on detailing. :shock:

Plus, push the sales manager/dealer principal for a pretty damn good loaner (at least as good as your car) and ideally a 911 if that would work for you.

All the best,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

P.S. 2.5 hours on the hard shoulder sounds like a disappointing service from Porsche Recovery Assistance?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Col Lamb wrote:How long were you intending to own the GTS.

If only a year, get a full refund and move on to another marque.

If a couple of years then echo above, you need a top quality loaner not some waste of space 2.0 Macan.

£2500 on detailing, what have you had done, gold plating?
PPF doors and front and rear bumpers. Gtechniq serum ultra on non PPF and EXO on PPF. Full wheel protection. £2k + VAT. Sounds about right given what I’ve read on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Wing Commander wrote:P.S. 2.5 hours on the hard shoulder sounds like a disappointing service from Porsche Recovery Assistance?
Broke down at 2.45 on M1 J8. Roads were clear, weather was fine. At one point they told me 7pm! Eventually they got someone who was, at the time, on the M4. Absolutely ridiculous. If that was the delay off peak god knows what it must have been like when we had some snow. Haven’t broken down for 30 years. The benefits of running new cars I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)