GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

Peteski wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 am If it was me I would want a new build and keep the loaner Cayenne while they build it. I'd also want compensation for the totally wasted detailing. A new engine after less than 500 miles is a bad joke and they should now be bending over backwards to make you feel better about it. This is a great test of customer service and their response would probably sway me one way or another on ever buying from them again.
I agree with Peteski and if they bulk at it then, and If you have additional "legal cover" on your home or car insurance policy, I would use that facility and seek professional advice.
I believe head must rule your heart in this instance and Porsche should put you back in the position you were before the failure i.e. a new GTS with detailing to the same standard and compensation for the "distress" and "inconvenience". Porsche are an exceptionally profitable company but that should not be at your further expense.

I haven't heard of anyone applying for a SORN after less than a month of ownership.... :lol: .. could be a first.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

All of us have been offering advice from the sidelines: some favour engine replacement and others rejecting the current car and going for a replacement. However, it's Paul1970 who has to make the final decision and live with the consequences. I am among those recommending the engine replacement route and I'd just like to flag up what I see as a risk in rejecting the car.

I have rejected a car in the past. In my case it was an eight month old Mercedes E Class and I happily drove around in loan cars for three months while the replacement was built. The difference between my case and this one is that at the time the W212 version of the E Class had only been in production for two years and was still current. The Macan GTS is about to go out of production and there is no declared date as to when a facelift version might be introduced. It's possible that Porsche might say they are not in a position to provide a replacement vehicle for the one that "is not of merchantable quality" so the remedy is to refund the full purchase price.

I would sit down with the Dealer Principal and discuss options for a successful resolution. When you reject a car, the legal backing is the Sale of Goods Act 1979. I'm sure Porsche will wish to resolve this problem speedily with all parties happy with the outcome.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Originally, I was in favour of the engine replacement but now, having read the pros and cons, I would be leaning towards rejection.

Whichever way you go, good luck.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
DeeJay K

Post by DeeJay K »

Jeepers, what a tough situation to find yourself in through no fault of your own!
I have no thoughts as to what you should do, it seems that it is a question of the lesser of the 2 evils for you to decide.
However....
when at my OPC yesterday, they have 2 build slots for GTS for May build prior to the shut down. That means a new car to your spec is approximately 8 weeks away with a loaner until that time. As far as I see it, it is the cost of the detailing and how Porsche GB and the dealership diminish or remove this.
Good luck, I had issues with my previous Cayenne Diesel but I found that the OPC made the biggest effort. Hope that helps...
Paul

Post by Paul »

DeeJay K wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 pm Jeepers, what a tough situation to find yourself in through no fault of your own!
I have no thoughts as to what you should do, it seems that it is a question of the lesser of the 2 evils for you to decide.
However....
when at my OPC yesterday, they have 2 build slots for GTS for May build prior to the shut down. That means a new car to your spec is approximately 8 weeks away
Info worth sharing with PW18. His dealership may not have GTS build allocation. If PW18 does go down the rejection / replacement route, Porsche should be able to swing the necessary build slot across making this solution preferable to the replacement engine.
(My earlier suggestion to accept a new engine was based on my assumption that a new GTS would not be available until the facelift version in...?? late 2019)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Well I’m still waiting for dates for a new engine versus a new vehicle. I’ve been told that they should be able to give me that information on Tuesday.

I’ve decided to go in to the dealer once I have that information and discuss it all face to face and then make a decision. There seem to be a few different people involved at the dealership and they’ve been pretty good up until now, but of course what really matters is reaching a satisfactory outcome from my perspective.

I’m still torn as to what to do, particularly after taking into account all the useful thoughts and (sometimes conflicting)advice on the forum. There’s also issues like my annual subscription for tracking, the fact that the price included one years road tax and I could miss out on 2 months or so of use, that the first service will be due based on delivery date rather than 12 months of usage etc. I’m trying to get a list together of all these things so I don’t end up out of pocket. I don’t want to appear greedy, but by the same token I don’t want to feel that my desire for MY car makes me compromise more than I should.

Next instalment soon no doubt!

Paul1970

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Paul

Post by Paul »

The buck will stop with the Dealer Principal - he’s the man you should be talking to.
Good luck, whichever route you choose.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Paul1970 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm Well I’m still waiting for dates for a new engine versus a new vehicle. I’ve been told that they should be able to give me that information on Tuesday.

I’ve decided to go in to the dealer once I have that information and discuss it all face to face and then make a decision. There seem to be a few different people involved at the dealership and they’ve been pretty good up until now, but of course what really matters is reaching a satisfactory outcome from my perspective.

I’m still torn as to what to do, particularly after taking into account all the useful thoughts and (sometimes conflicting)advice on the forum. There’s also issues like my annual subscription for tracking, the fact that the price included one years road tax and I could miss out on 2 months or so of use, that the first service will be due based on delivery date rather than 12 months of usage etc. I’m trying to get a list together of all these things so I don’t end up out of pocket. I don’t want to appear greedy, but by the same token I don’t want to feel that my desire for MY car makes me compromise more than I should.

Next instalment soon no doubt!

Paul1970

Hi, Paul1970

As I said in my earlier post my negotiating position would be replacement car and loaner until you get the replacement - nothing less. You could get a list of all the out of pocket expenses e.g. detailing, tracker etc and also ask for those to be refunded as it is no fault of yours. Your dealership will no doubt be liaising with Porsche GB over these issues and you have to go for the most satisfactory outcome.

Please don't take my forthright opinions in a wrong way, my only intention is to give you the best advice, I just don't think a replacement engine is a satisfactory outcome for a 65k car that might effect it's resale value!

It also needn't ruin your relationship with the dealership as following rejecting a car, I've bought several cars from my dealership and they've also given me a GT3 allocation.

Hope that helps

Arif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Taz

Post by Taz »

Just one minor thought. Will a replacement engine be fitted exactly as the old one was? The original engine was fitted in the factory in a precise sequence, whereas at the dealer, it will be out of sequence and might just lead to a pipe or part being wrongly fitted or routed.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Replacement would be the only option for me with Porsche paying for the detailing on the new car. They really shouldn’t expect to get away with anything less.