GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

On-Track wrote:
Paul1970 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Yep. A Cayenne diesel. It’s completely debadged, there’s no handbook or anything at all in the car to indicate as such but the big diesel sticker inside on the fuel cap and the plastic key holder indicate as such. The wife prefers it to my Macan and wanted me to get the Cayenne in the first place. But I’m not ready for the big SUV yet. I need the sexier little brother for a while first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a look under the bonnet to see if it's a V6 or V8. Alternatively, find a straight stretch of road and come to a stand. Then stand on the loud pedal if it takes off like the proverbial sh1t off a shovel it's a Cayenne S diesel. :) .

I had a Cayenne diesel for two years and loved it. I had the V8 version for a day as a loan car and the performance was in a different league. The Macan is more fun to drive though.

If your wife prefers the Cayenne, should we open a book on whether you end up doing a deal on a new Cayenne and rejecting the GTS? :evil:
So I opened the bonnet and there’s a nice big V8 sign looking back at me. Looking forward to getting onto the motorway next week and testing it out.

The wife and kids are already telling me how much they prefer the space in the Cayenne. It also has a panoramic sunroof and fantastic Bose stereo which I don’t have on my Macan so they’re sold. And it’s clearly more economical. But, it’s just not as exciting as my Macan. Maybe in 2 or 3 years when I replace it, but I’m not ready to move on after a mere 470 miles in a car I’ve been waiting months for.

Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )

Rennwagen

Post by Rennwagen »

Paul1970 wrote:
On-Track wrote:
Paul1970 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Yep. A Cayenne diesel. It’s completely debadged, there’s no handbook or anything at all in the car to indicate as such but the big diesel sticker inside on the fuel cap and the plastic key holder indicate as such. The wife prefers it to my Macan and wanted me to get the Cayenne in the first place. But I’m not ready for the big SUV yet. I need the sexier little brother for a while first.

Have a look under the bonnet to see if it's a V6 or V8. Alternatively, find a straight stretch of road and come to a stand. Then stand on the loud pedal if it takes off like the proverbial sh1t off a shovel it's a Cayenne S diesel. :) .

I had a Cayenne diesel for two years and loved it. I had the V8 version for a day as a loan car and the performance was in a different league. The Macan is more fun to drive though.

If your wife prefers the Cayenne, should we open a book on whether you end up doing a deal on a new Cayenne and rejecting the GTS? :evil:
So I opened the bonnet and there’s a nice big V8 sign looking back at me. Looking forward to getting onto the motorway next week and testing it out.

The wife and kids are already telling me how much they prefer the space in the Cayenne. It also has a panoramic sunroof and fantastic Bose stereo which I don’t have on my Macan so they’re sold. And it’s clearly more economical. But, it’s just not as exciting as my Macan. Maybe in 2 or 3 years when I replace it, but I’m not ready to move on after a mere 470 miles in a car I’ve been waiting months for.

Does the dealership have any idea of your family/wife preferences...do you think they maybe want to hook you on the diesel Cayenne? Just my suspicious side thinking...

2018 Macan Turbo/PP in PTS Malachite Green to be completed 6/1/18
2015 Macan Turbo in Sapphire Blue delivered 2/28/15
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Ok I'll give you my penny's worth and I disagree with most of the opinions on here:

Like Spud, I have rejected a Macan and they replaced it with a like for like new one and allowed me to drive the rejected one until the new one arrived.

My suggestion is that you ask them to replace it and give you a loaner until the new one arrives, nothing less. Getting a new engine may solve your problems but there will always be a niggle at the back of your mind and any future sale maybe hampered (even if it is wrongly so) by the knowledge that the car has had a new engine put in.

You could also push the issue of a refund of the expensive PPF/detailing.

Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Arif
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MacanArif wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 am Ok I'll give you my penny's worth and I disagree with most of the opinions on here:

Like Spud, I have rejected a Macan and they replaced it with a like for like new one and allowed me to drive the rejected one until the new one arrived.

My suggestion is that you ask them to replace it and give you a loaner until the new one arrives, nothing less. Getting a new engine may solve your problems but there will always be a niggle at the back of your mind and any future sale maybe hampered (even if it is wrongly so) by the knowledge that the car has had a new engine put in.

Arif
Exactly what I would do too. I'm a bit surprised how many people would accept an engine change on a month old car. It would most definitely make it harder to sell later on. People just don't want to know about that sort of history unless it's going cheap.

Basically this engine failure has ruined your new car experience and they need to start afresh to have any chance of redeeming the situation.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I agree too. This is a very unfortunate and very rare failure. I think the factory will be wanting to investigate this but should also be pulling all the stops out to put you back in the position you were in before the failure. They should put a car to your spec into the production plan for you and in the meantime Porsche GB should be supporting the dealer to keep you in an equivalent or better car. When the replacement arrives they should pay for the detailing too.

In my book that would be the legal and moral solution, but any alternative compromise would have to be on your terms.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Peteski wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 am
MacanArif wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 am Ok I'll give you my penny's worth and I disagree with most of the opinions on here:

Arif
Exactly what I would do too. I'm a bit surprised how many people would accept an engine change on a month old car. It would most definitely make it harder to sell later on. People just don't want to know about that sort of history unless it's going cheap.

Basically this engine failure has ruined your new car experience and they need to start afresh to have any chance of redeeming the situation.
I agree with the above and it would be my first avenue but I would see what they table as an offer and see how quickly they can get a new car before making the decision. If they take enough of a hit to offset depreciation and compensate with warranty and servicing extensions FOC for peace of mind and a 'free' vehicle is provided in the meantime, it might be worth it.

The engine replacement on my 911 wasn't declared in the vehicle history, it was a new vehicle with delivery miles essentially on recall so wasn't logged by Porsche but of course the production date and serial put it in the middle of the recall window so anyone doing their homework would know but it was never even asked. Trade bid, sold. It had no impact come resale. It's a question I would ask in how the engine replacement will appear in the vehicle's history and factor that in my decision.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I believe the OPC estimated an Oct/Nov delivery date for a replacement GTS.

Maybe see if you accept the offer of a replacement engine in your expensively detailed car, whether they'll offer you a guaranteed future value buy-back... :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:25 am I believe the OPC estimated an Oct/Nov delivery date for a replacement GTS.

Maybe see if you accept the offer of a replacement engine in your expensively detailed car, whether they'll offer you a guaranteed future value buy-back... :geek:
For me, it would depend on what they do in the interim wait and whether they will compensate for the detailing without a fight. Waiting for a new engine might be a couple of months.

Maybe the detailer will offer a discount for repeat business. Silver linings and all that.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 am I agree too. This is a very unfortunate and very rare failure. I think the factory will be wanting to investigate this but should also be pulling all the stops out to put you back in the position you were in before the failure. They should put a car to your spec into the production plan for you and in the meantime Porsche GB should be supporting the dealer to keep you in an equivalent or better car. When the replacement arrives they should pay for the detailing too.

In my book that would be the legal and moral solution, but any alternative compromise would have to be on your terms.
+1. Taking an engine and all it’s ancillaries out and then putting back will never be the same as being installed in the correct order by the factory .
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

As the engine will be replaced under warranty it will show on the details available to opc when they search service history etc
It really depends on how you feel about a new engine being fitted by the dealer
Will it play on your mind or will you just enjoy the car ?
that i belive is the relevant point