GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Paul1970 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm Well I’m still waiting for dates for a new engine versus a new vehicle. I’ve been told that they should be able to give me that information on Tuesday.

I’ve decided to go in to the dealer once I have that information and discuss it all face to face and then make a decision. There seem to be a few different people involved at the dealership and they’ve been pretty good up until now, but of course what really matters is reaching a satisfactory outcome from my perspective.

I’m still torn as to what to do, particularly after taking into account all the useful thoughts and (sometimes conflicting)advice on the forum. There’s also issues like my annual subscription for tracking, the fact that the price included one years road tax and I could miss out on 2 months or so of use, that the first service will be due based on delivery date rather than 12 months of usage etc. I’m trying to get a list together of all these things so I don’t end up out of pocket. I don’t want to appear greedy, but by the same token I don’t want to feel that my desire for MY car makes me compromise more than I should.

Next instalment soon no doubt!

Paul1970
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sound entirely reasonable and not at all greedy but you should be restored to where you were at day 1 with the car in whatever form that is. Porsche need to also restore your faith in the brand and you have to leave them to determine the extent of that gesture. Out of interest, is your dealer franchised or Porsche owned?

I think the problem with the forum and conflicting advice is that unless presented with all the facts and the OPC's offer for a new vehicle and their offer for an engine replacement, you can't fully weigh up the decision.

I initially said to consider an engine replacement but that was more on the basis of a new GTS not being available or having to wait a considerable amount of time. If the OPC could provide peace of mind (extended warranties/servicing and so on) and sufficient financial compensation, it would be something I'd consider as there isn't anything else out there as good as the GTS and I'd reason that I'd rather have a car than not.

I know there are build slots available as my dealer has 1 for a GTS in May - I saw it on my SE's screen along with the 2 month dead zone as we were reviewing my orders earlier this week. I would always go for the new car if they restore out of pocket expenses. So my advice is let them talk, see what they come up with for both routes and see what they will do for you as a gesture of goodwill.

Porsche GB will be involved in this process and vehicle planning will know where every build slot is in the UK so let them horse trade with the dealerships to find a build slot. Which is why I asked if you were dealing with a franchised dealership - there being the group and then Porsche UK involved.

Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Which is why I asked if you were dealing with a franchised dealership - there being the group and then Porsche UK involved.[/quote]

Thanks again for all the advice. It’s a Porsche owned dealership.

Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Paul1970 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:14 am Which is why I asked if you were dealing with a franchised dealership - there being the group and then Porsche UK involved.

[/quote]

I'm glad you are leaning towards rejecting the car as that is what I would do - no-brainer in my opinion. I personally wouldn't buy a Macan GTS on the used market that has had it's engine replaced. It will affect resale. As others have said, Porsche could potentially get the dealership an additional slot.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Paul1970 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:14 am Which is why I asked if you were dealing with a franchised dealership - there being the group and then Porsche UK involved.

[/quote]

You're welcome, hope you get it sorted. I have nothing to suggest this is the case but would hope that a Porsche owned dealership would make a greater effort or have more latitude in redressing your negative brand experience.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Just who sells these cars? I remember my initial Booking Agreement with OPC Belfast. It seemed to be acting as an Agent for Porsche GB.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Reject cars will still be sold through the opc
Its just part of the modern motor trade
With the changes in the way problems are dealt with it used to be that
the warranty would always fix the problem
but with changes in consumer law now reject cars are quite common place
Still it gives the dealer some fresh used stock
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Hi all.
Just wanted to provide an update.
So I went and spent half a day at the dealership a couple of weeks back where we went through all the options, had lunch and even had a tour of the workshop and met the engineer who would repair the car. The workshop was something else, felt more like a lab than a workshop.
Anyway, it was quite sad seeing the car 6 foot in the air without it’s front wheels. There was a massive box to the side of the car with a brand new engine inside. Anyway, the engineer was a seriously impressive young man, certainly not your typical mechanic and he explained the whole process of changing the engine and why it was more straightforward than one might think. If I understood correctly, they even get to practice it virtually before doing the real thing – a bit like a hospital I guess. But I may have that bit wrong - as someone who struggles to open the bonnet it was all a bit lost on me.

So we explored the following options:

1. Return and replace. But the key problem for me is that no one knows if/when they will build another GTS following the factory re-opening. There was nothing on the system showing as available and if, as everyone believes, there is to be a tinkering with the Macan prior to the re-opening then there’s a risk there will be no GTS for at least a year after the re-opening. So, I was given the opportunity of being one of the first in line to order once the order books are re-opened. But again, no one knows what will be on offer; and if they do a relaunch then given the numbers of early adopters out there Porsche will no doubt raise prices and give very few extras since this will be time they can rake it in. And even if they continue with the existing range, the lead time for a GTS could be long enough to make it a 2019 delivery. So, basically I can order a car, but I don’t what it will be and when I’ll get it and, critically, after having the experience of the GTS what if I’m disappointed?

2. Repair, retain and replace when the new model comes out/factory reopens: We discussed me taking my car back and then exchanging it when a new model is ready, whenever that might be. But again, that leaves the risk with me since my car will devalue by an unknown amount in the meantime, pick up a few scratches or, heaven forbid, a dent!. So I don’t like that idea.

3. Return the car, order a new one and then just wait. But despite Porsche GB indicating they would organise a car for me for the period of time it takes to get a new one, a couple of days later they had not made this offer formally and the dealership disappointingly backtracked from that option. So I would basically be left car-less since the dealership said that they wouldn’t give me a loan car for that length of time.

So, after all of this I came to the following conclusion:

1. I loved my car for the 11 days I had it. I love the colour, the noise, my personal plate, basically everything (except the aged console management system)
2. I can have my own car back in a couple of weeks or wait for an unknown car at an unknown time (but probably not before November/December at the earliest)
3. They’ve offered a few incentives for me to keep the car which are gratefully received and worth a few quid, as well as covering any re-detailing charges
4. Only Porsche will be aware of the engine replacement. It will not need to be disclosed to anyone else and I’m pretty sure they said that they would not consider it necessary to disclose it on resale. So the risk of having a car no one wants is diminished.

So after thinking about very little else for the following few days I have concluded that I want my car back and I’m expecting it towards the end of the month. In the meantime I’ve pretty much forgotten what it was like so it will be like getting a new car again.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Paul1970 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm Hi all.
Just wanted to provide an update.
So I went and spent half a day at the dealership a couple of weeks back where we went through all the options, had lunch and even had a tour of the workshop and met the engineer who would repair the car. The workshop was something else, felt more like a lab than a workshop.
Anyway, it was quite sad seeing the car 6 foot in the air without it’s front wheels. There was a massive box to the side of the car with a brand new engine inside. Anyway, the engineer was a seriously impressive young man, certainly not your typical mechanic and he explained the whole process of changing the engine and why it was more straightforward than one might think. If I understood correctly, they even get to practice it virtually before doing the real thing – a bit like a hospital I guess. But I may have that bit wrong - as someone who struggles to open the bonnet it was all a bit lost on me.

So we explored the following options:

1. Return and replace. But the key problem for me is that no one knows if/when they will build another GTS following the factory re-opening. There was nothing on the system showing as available and if, as everyone believes, there is to be a tinkering with the Macan prior to the re-opening then there’s a risk there will be no GTS for at least a year after the re-opening. So, I was given the opportunity of being one of the first in line to order once the order books are re-opened. But again, no one knows what will be on offer; and if they do a relaunch then given the numbers of early adopters out there Porsche will no doubt raise prices and give very few extras since this will be time they can rake it in. And even if they continue with the existing range, the lead time for a GTS could be long enough to make it a 2019 delivery. So, basically I can order a car, but I don’t what it will be and when I’ll get it and, critically, after having the experience of the GTS what if I’m disappointed?

2. Repair, retain and replace when the new model comes out/factory reopens: We discussed me taking my car back and then exchanging it when a new model is ready, whenever that might be. But again, that leaves the risk with me since my car will devalue by an unknown amount in the meantime, pick up a few scratches or, heaven forbid, a dent!. So I don’t like that idea.

3. Return the car, order a new one and then just wait. But despite Porsche GB indicating they would organise a car for me for the period of time it takes to get a new one, a couple of days later they had not made this offer formally and the dealership disappointingly backtracked from that option. So I would basically be left car-less since the dealership said that they wouldn’t give me a loan car for that length of time.

So, after all of this I came to the following conclusion:

1. I loved my car for the 11 days I had it. I love the colour, the noise, my personal plate, basically everything (except the aged console management system)
2. I can have my own car back in a couple of weeks or wait for an unknown car at an unknown time (but probably not before November/December at the earliest)
3. They’ve offered a few incentives for me to keep the car which are gratefully received and worth a few quid, as well as covering any re-detailing charges
4. Only Porsche will be aware of the engine replacement. It will not need to be disclosed to anyone else and I’m pretty sure they said that they would not consider it necessary to disclose it on resale. So the risk of having a car no one wants is diminished.

So after thinking about very little else for the following few days I have concluded that I want my car back and I’m expecting it towards the end of the month. In the meantime I’ve pretty much forgotten what it was like so it will be like getting a new car again.
You sound happy with the decision and waiting an indeterminate time for an indeterminate option feels inconclusive. Hopefully the incentives were worthwhile and it sounds like they were.

Are you going to still retain an early slot in the order books for the next one? That has some value and I've had free motoring based on early cars that I've only kept for a year or so. The new console will be in line with the new Cayenne/Panamera which might be more to your taste. I'd keep my hat in the ring, even if at the time it's revealed you don't want it, you still retain the option if you choose.

Regarding disclosing the information about the vehicle, your user name and this thread might not help your cause relating to your last point.

Let's have some pictures when the glorious moment arrives and you get her back.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good to hear that you've reached a decision that you seem happy with. :)

Looking forward to the reunion pics! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Does the engine number not appear on the reg cert and perhaps some other documents and internal Porsche stuff. You will need to make sure everything is changed and no trace left that the engine has been swapped as that could seriously devalue it come resale time especially if you don't sell back to the same OPC.