GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Hopefully now you have made a decision you can look forward to your GTS again. Sounds like your opc is behind you and I reckon that counts for a lot .... looking forward for some pictures...
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

Paul

Post by Paul »

With consideration to your alternatives, the replacement engine is by far the best result (especially along with the other incentives you allude to)
As alex says, if you are able to get one of your dealership's first slots for the facelift GTS in (?) 18 months this would be worth taking - you can decide in due course depending on specs / prices etc
A new factory engine is actually not a particularly difficult component to replace, not like rebuilding a g/box or renewing a bottom end. The new unit comes in a crate (which you’ve seen) and is simply reconnected swapping ancillaries accross as necessary, and will make little or no difference to the future valuation.
Put the episode behind you and enjoy the car!👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

alxgb wrote:
Paul1970 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm Hi all.
Just wanted to provide an update.
So I went and spent half a day at the dealership a couple of weeks back where we went through all the options, had lunch and even had a tour of the workshop and met the engineer who would repair the car. The workshop was something else, felt more like a lab than a workshop.
Anyway, it was quite sad seeing the car 6 foot in the air without it’s front wheels. There was a massive box to the side of the car with a brand new engine inside. Anyway, the engineer was a seriously impressive young man, certainly not your typical mechanic and he explained the whole process of changing the engine and why it was more straightforward than one might think. If I understood correctly, they even get to practice it virtually before doing the real thing – a bit like a hospital I guess. But I may have that bit wrong - as someone who struggles to open the bonnet it was all a bit lost on me.

So we explored the following options:

1. Return and replace. But the key problem for me is that no one knows if/when they will build another GTS following the factory re-opening. There was nothing on the system showing as available and if, as everyone believes, there is to be a tinkering with the Macan prior to the re-opening then there’s a risk there will be no GTS for at least a year after the re-opening. So, I was given the opportunity of being one of the first in line to order once the order books are re-opened. But again, no one knows what will be on offer; and if they do a relaunch then given the numbers of early adopters out there Porsche will no doubt raise prices and give very few extras since this will be time they can rake it in. And even if they continue with the existing range, the lead time for a GTS could be long enough to make it a 2019 delivery. So, basically I can order a car, but I don’t what it will be and when I’ll get it and, critically, after having the experience of the GTS what if I’m disappointed?

2. Repair, retain and replace when the new model comes out/factory reopens: We discussed me taking my car back and then exchanging it when a new model is ready, whenever that might be. But again, that leaves the risk with me since my car will devalue by an unknown amount in the meantime, pick up a few scratches or, heaven forbid, a dent!. So I don’t like that idea.

3. Return the car, order a new one and then just wait. But despite Porsche GB indicating they would organise a car for me for the period of time it takes to get a new one, a couple of days later they had not made this offer formally and the dealership disappointingly backtracked from that option. So I would basically be left car-less since the dealership said that they wouldn’t give me a loan car for that length of time.

So, after all of this I came to the following conclusion:

1. I loved my car for the 11 days I had it. I love the colour, the noise, my personal plate, basically everything (except the aged console management system)
2. I can have my own car back in a couple of weeks or wait for an unknown car at an unknown time (but probably not before November/December at the earliest)
3. They’ve offered a few incentives for me to keep the car which are gratefully received and worth a few quid, as well as covering any re-detailing charges
4. Only Porsche will be aware of the engine replacement. It will not need to be disclosed to anyone else and I’m pretty sure they said that they would not consider it necessary to disclose it on resale. So the risk of having a car no one wants is diminished.

So after thinking about very little else for the following few days I have concluded that I want my car back and I’m expecting it towards the end of the month. In the meantime I’ve pretty much forgotten what it was like so it will be like getting a new car again.
You sound happy with the decision and waiting an indeterminate time for an indeterminate option feels inconclusive. Hopefully the incentives were worthwhile and it sounds like they were.

Are you going to still retain an early slot in the order books for the next one? That has some value and I've had free motoring based on early cars that I've only kept for a year or so. The new console will be in line with the new Cayenne/Panamera which might be more to your taste. I'd keep my hat in the ring, even if at the time it's revealed you don't want it, you still retain the option if you choose.

Regarding disclosing the information about the vehicle, your user name and this thread might not help your cause relating to your last point.

Let's have some pictures when the glorious moment arrives and you get her back.
I think I’m just going to live with it for a while and see how I get on. If I had had the car for a year or so then I’d definitely be thinking about grabbing that early slot but given that I’d only had it a week or so I just don’t feel ready to move on just yet. I’m hoping that they delay any relaunch for a while so I have more time to figure everything out.

Re disclosing on here, I guess I had to weigh up seeking of views with disclosing the history. In retrospect the username was a bad one but I’m glad I sought out views of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

MCDK wrote:Does the engine number not appear on the reg cert and perhaps some other documents and internal Porsche stuff. You will need to make sure everything is changed and no trace left that the engine has been swapped as that could seriously devalue it come resale time especially if you don't sell back to the same OPC.
I’ve just looked at the reg doc and you are right. I’ve asked the OPC whether this effects anything because I did ask that specific question and was told it was only the VIN that appeared. Thanks for the prompt. I assume a new doc will be issued but it’s a bit poor they didn’t know (or failed to disclose). I suppose the key thing is will it make any difference.

E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Wing Commander wrote:Good to hear that you've reached a decision that you seem happy with. :)

Looking forward to the reunion pics! ;)
Thanks. I’ve forgotten what the car was like so it will be a bit strange. It could be like the time you bump into an ex girlfriend and realise that you have absolutely nothing in common anymore! I guess my main concern is that every time there’s a noise or rattle I’ll be convinced that I’m heading for the AA truck again. If it gets to that point though it will be time to trade it in!

E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Paul1970 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:59 pm
MCDK wrote:Does the engine number not appear on the reg cert and perhaps some other documents and internal Porsche stuff. You will need to make sure everything is changed and no trace left that the engine has been swapped as that could seriously devalue it come resale time especially if you don't sell back to the same OPC.
I’ve just looked at the reg doc and you are right. I’ve asked the OPC whether this effects anything because I did ask that specific question and was told it was only the VIN that appeared. Thanks for the prompt. I assume a new doc will be issued but it’s a bit poor they didn’t know (or failed to disclose). I suppose the key thing is will it make any difference.

Perhaps they'll swap the old engine number to the new engine. I don't see a problem with this as long as Porsche maintain an audit trail.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The dealership should inform DVLA (if not you can easily do so) ...job done👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

As mentioned before it’s how problems are dealt with.

Clearly handled very professionally and well by the sounds of it.

Look forward to the pics when you get it back
👍
GTS 😀
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I don't think that a new engine fitted by Porsche would put me off buying a car. I am not in the market for a GTS, but if I was and you told me this, it wouldn't matter. It is covered by a full warranty, a genuine Porsche part sent in a crate from the factory. If you drive it for a few months with no problems, you should be able to forget about any "issues". If there are problems, they should sort them. If the engine has done this when they tested it before delivery, it would have been replaced without your knowledge and not been an issue. For what it is worth I think you have made the right decision - enjoy the car when you get it back!
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I'm glad you got it sorted Paul1970 and you are happy with the decision, but forgive me for speaking frankly it's not what I would have done and disagree with the responses on here that it won't make a difference to the resale. I can't believe that they can hide the fact that it has had a replacement engine and that it won't affect resale.

Please take my comments in the spirit they've been provided - I'm just trying to look at how you can protect your significant investment.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S