GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Can't see myself being happy with anything other than an unmolested example of a brand new car.
Having said that half of the 991.1 GT3s had to have their engines swapped at least once and it hasn't don't their second hand value any harm
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

DeeJay K

Post by DeeJay K »

It is an imperfect world in which we live and so how you view driving a loan Porsche until yours is fixed/replaced is something only you can value. It is still a Porsche.....For the record, I had a Cayenne Diesel with the notorious oil leak from the timing chain cover which necessitated a full engine out and rebuild at the cost of approx £6k, most of which was paid for by Porsche GB. The dealer went many extra miles to keep me happy and loaned me a Macan Turbo for 10 days and the rest is history as I have now bought the better (for me) one ;) Interestingly the OPC had a guy almost exclusively working on rebuilding engines/gearboxes so he was very proficient at it. As I said before, good luck getting to a satisfactory and acceptable place.
Interalia

Post by Interalia »

I just saw this post in the Giulia forum for a guy with 15 day old car and failed transmission. He lost his car for 3-1/2 weeks during which there were a some failed fixes. It gives you some ideas on what they could offer you. I think I would feel a lot better knowing I am covered with an 5 yr Extended Warranty and 3 yrs Free Service. (Suggest a free oil analysis to be sure engine is healthy?)

-------------
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/778-a ... post549850

Update: Fairytale Ending to the Italian Tragedy!
Just got her back after 3 1/2 weeks of sitting in the shop. The problem was that this part had never gone wrong before, and the car had to receive a software update to the new transmission ECM from a live linkup from Australia to the engineers in Italy. Anyway, there have been lots of learnings apparently.

FCA customer care were great and compensated with 3 years free service, full manufacturers warranty extended to 5 years, a $500 petrol voucher and genuine QF carbon fibre spoiler to top it off.

---------------
Mines still in the shop at Leichhardt. Transmission ECM fritzed. Replaced (10k part) but no one ( Alfa Italy included) knows how to unlock the software. It’s a sort of DaVinci Code minus Tom Hanks.
---------------
Unbelievably, the ECM module arrived from Melbourne yesterday, and had been damaged in transit!
New unit shipped today, hopefully get her back for the weekend.
--------------
They shipped a new part and installed it, put it back together, went for a drive and everything was OK until warning lights came on and the car went into limp mode. They took her back to the shop, put the diagnostics on again and the computer pointed to the new chip and asked for an unlocking code! You’d think with a $10,000 part that Alfa would’ve sent the code to unlock the **** thing. Apparently the only way any of the service people can contact Alfa is through email – ridiculous! Looks like I get her back Monday now.
--------------
Went to drive my May built 2017 Veloce home (Sydney Australia) tonight, and the motor started, infotainment etc fine , but lots of warnings- "service dampers, check engine, check transmission" warnings, etc. Transmission would NOT engage.

The Alfa Roadside guy turned up pretty fast and determined he thought it was the battery. Top dude- replaced it with a higher amp battery. Started up- travelled home, all good.

Started this morning - same warning sequence- replaced with even better battery eventually got the same tech out again. He worked for an hour with no luck. Resetting warnings did not work. Could not even put the car in neutral.

Towed to the dealer and awaiting result. Software xxxxx.047. Car is 15 days old.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/alfa-romeo ... 222733966/
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Interalia wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm FCA customer care were great and compensated with 3 years free service, full manufacturers warranty extended to 5 years, a $500 petrol voucher and genuine QF carbon fibre spoiler to top it off.

Welcome! :)

Sounds like a pretty fair deal from the dealership at the end of the day and hopefully the Alfa owner had a decent loan car in the interim.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm
Interalia wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm FCA customer care were great and compensated with 3 years free service, full manufacturers warranty extended to 5 years, a $500 petrol voucher and genuine QF carbon fibre spoiler to top it off.

Sounds like a pretty fair deal from the dealership at the end of the day and hopefully the Alfa owner had a decent loan car in the interim.
😉😂
and reassuring for Hawkeye (sorry Hawkeye, couldn’t resist!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Paul wrote:
Wing Commander wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm

[emoji6][emoji23]
and reassuring for Hawkeye (sorry Hawkeye, couldn’t resist!)
I’ve already stored the Alfa Care number in my short dials!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

So whats happened
Or have you been silenced by porsche
🚘🚘
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

Scooby wrote:So whats happened
Or have you been silenced by porsche
[emoji593][emoji593]
Lol. Not silenced as such but nothing to report. They called me during the week to inform me that they had managed to secure an engine and I believe that they should now have it. I have arranged to go to see them next week to discuss it all and make a decision on what I want to do.

After reading all the advice and opinions on here plus talking to a few knowledgable people outside, I’m leaning towards rejecting the car. But given the uncertainties around the closure and (given the expected Macan relaunch) what models will be available when it reopens, there must be a possibility that there won’t be a GTS to order.

So basically I don’t have a clue what I’m going to do, but hopefully will know more in a few days.

I will of course report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I don’t think there should be as much uncertainty over a replacement car. Your OPC and Porsche may want to give the impression a new build could be a long time away to help persuade you to keep the engine swap car.

As already reported on here other dealers have build slots before the close down. If I was you I would make a few calls and find out availability from other dealers. You can then use that info to counter any claims of a long rebuild time and there is no reason why your dealer cannot be allocated one of those slots by Porsche given the circumstances that have caused you to need a new car.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

After reading all the advice and opinions on here plus talking to a few knowledgable people outside, I’m leaning towards rejecting the car. But given the uncertainties around the closure and (given the expected Macan relaunch) what models will be available when it reopens, there must be a possibility that there won’t be a GTS to order.

So basically I don’t have a clue what I’m going to do, but hopefully will know more in a few days.

I will of course report back

[/quote]

PW, you have received a lot of conflicting advice here and you have to do what you feel is most convenient and acceptable time and value wise for you. If you go for the engine change it's just a replacement component, granted a big one but I'd rather that than a multitude of electrical problems. Once your in either the current or replacement car you will have forgotten about it in a few days. Shit happens it's how your OPC supports you that you will remember.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6