GTS Disaster - Advice welcomed.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

The warranty on the engine will run out at the same time as the “rest” of the car....and a private seller will be unaware that a component has been replaced.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Personally the new engine wouldn't concern me by the work involved by the change would. Even if done by a competent mechanic the sheer amount of gubbins packing into the engine bay that will have to be removed and refitted its highly unlikely to be all reinstated as it arrived from the factory.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Paul

Post by Paul »

A little disrepectful to the trained technicians Rab.....a bit like saying you wouldn’t want to be operated on by a doctor because its not very easy! It is their job after all, (and actually, swapping an engine isn’t that complicated compared to, say, rebuilding a gear-box)
None if the above are ideal situations (especially being operated on by a doctor 😉) but don’t present any insurmountable difficulties.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Very possibly Paul, I was known as a hard task master, but having spent the last 40+ years firstly being and then overseeing a group of the very best technicians working on multi million pound machines I feel fairly well qualified to be concerned. A car nowadays if a fiendishly complicated thing, with the last concern of the designers being some poor guy in dealership, no matter how well trained, who has to try and dismantle and reassemble it. Even the best, and there are few of those, will struggle to do this to original factory build quality.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree its not easy, and yes, there is masses of “spaghetti” to disassemble and reassemble; my dealerships would change, probably, 3 or 4 short engines every year (mostly😳) right first time😉
But you’re rightwhen you say designers have no thought for any subsequent work being carried out in engine bays.....small hands with skinned knuckles were always a good sign when recruiting senior techs!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

MCDK wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:53 pm Ummmm a private sale expensive car like a Macan with a replacement engine and possibly no warranty depending on age. If you think that would sell I think you may be living in a land called cloud cuckoo :o :D

The only way to sell would be back through a dealer and preferably this supplying dealer.
The words 'barge pole' come to mind.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Paul1970 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 am
Col Lamb wrote:How long were you intending to own the GTS.

If only a year, get a full refund and move on to another marque.

If a couple of years then echo above, you need a top quality loaner not some waste of space 2.0 Macan.

£2500 on detailing, what have you had done, gold plating?
PPF doors and front and rear bumpers. Gtechniq serum ultra on non PPF and EXO on PPF. Full wheel protection. £2k + VAT. Sounds about right given what I’ve read on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm surprised for the amount you spent that you had no PPF on the bonnet. On my next vehicle I am looking to cover this area..
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver