First trip abroad in MY2018 Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Semerka wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 am
But then the Macan itself makes up for that shortcoming! 8-)

And by relying on the Porsche system we invariably spend more time driving them. :D
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Semerka wrote:We find that the PCM's SatNav does choose really odd routes at times, always worth checking which way it's taking you.
It's not the best, I agree. I often wonder why car manufacturers do not use the established marques like TomTom, etc in their cars.

Glad you enjoyed the trip overall.
The Giulia uses an integrated Tom Tom system and lots of people seem to complain about that too. Not sure you can win as a manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 am
Semerka wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 am

And by relying on the Porsche system we invariably spend more time driving them. :D
:lol: , very true!
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 am The Giulia uses an integrated Tom Tom system and lots of people seem to complain about that too. Not sure you can win as a manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another reason to buy Gulia Q, proper TomTom! ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

<<A SE at my OPC told me that the nav software is TomTom, much to my dismay>>

Nick - I saw that if you hunt around the Apple Car Play menus, it says that Nav data is supplied by "Tom Tom and other data providers". I drive quite a lot in France (about 8000km/yr) and have found that TT is the only reliable indicator for speed cameras. When the French made warning of cameras illegal a while back, TT came up with a solution that warns you of "Safety Zones" which conveniently does the same thing! Haven't found this on either of the built-in Porsche Nav solutions. That said, the move from the original TT app on the iPhone to their new "GO" offering was a bit painful for me, but to give them their due, it's got a lot better. Re-routing, cameras and traffic updates are the best IMHO.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Can't imagine why you would want warning of speed cameras! But I can see why you would want to know about 'safety zones' though.

My point about TomTom v Garmin is that Garmin has always been way ahead of TT in route planning on the computer and downloading routes to the sat nav.

In fairness to the system on the Macan we used it a lot on our road trip to Tuscany last year and it did a very good job. There were a couple of occasions when the mapping database was out of date but that happens with Garmin too.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Chaque un à son gôut - or in your case son Garmin!
BHT

Post by BHT »

oldpilot wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:56 pm .... Following advice given elsewhere in this excellent Forum, we booked the Shuttle as a High Vehicle and I was delighted to cruise through the stomach of the snake without fear of dinging my lovely alloys on the kerbs....
Ah so that’s the secret. I took my Macan on the Shuttle last month and it was very difficult not catching the wheels on the curbs of the carriage.

Our of interest, where do the ‘High vehicles’ get loaded, is it with the vans?
2017 Macan diesel with all available options.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes, in the tall carriages with the Buses and camping cars etc (and other exotica too wide to fit)
Although, I have been accross a couple of times in my previous SD (19’s only!) in the standard wagons...and on the top deck too! We followed an X5 once who drove the whole length of the train with the driver’s side wheel up on the walkway😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
BHT

Post by BHT »

Paul wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:10 pm Yes, in the tall carriages with the Buses and camping cars etc (and other exotica too wide to fit)....
Thanks Paul, so I guess I just follow the over 1.85m lanes.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
2017 Macan diesel with all available options.