First trip abroad in MY2018 Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 am Can't imagine why you would want warning of speed cameras! But I can see why you would want to know about 'safety zones' though.

My point about TomTom v Garmin is that Garmin has always been way ahead of TT in route planning on the computer and downloading routes to the sat nav.

In fairness to the system on the Macan we used it a lot on our road trip to Tuscany last year and it did a very good job. There were a couple of occasions when the mapping database was out of date but that happens with Garmin too.
It is a shame that we cannot download planned scenic routes to the Macan's PCM, only places / points of interest and then you have to re-create a route in the car.

I think that you can send planned routes from Google Maps to Audi, BWM and others, but not Porsche. :cry:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

+1. It's fine for point-to-point navigation, particularly any destination that is already in the database. But as soon as you want to create routes of different types either in the car, on the computer, or in the Connect App on the phone it's difficult. And if you want to create anything that involves waypoints that aren't in the database you're pretty stuffed! Let's hope one day they get their act together and give us something more flexible and up to date.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

This is the most disappointing lack of tech. Planning road trips and having to navigate point to point on the PCM makes the ability to map read and drive without stopping a virtue. The only thing I have been able to do is create special (saved) destninations, numbered and named in the order I need them. Once you are near or past a "waypoint" you stop the navigation and start the next number up the list in your favourites.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Oh, you can create a tour in the PCM, even using points on map without stored places. When you hold your finger on the map it brings up the details of that spot and you can add it to your tour list. You just need to get in the car 30 mins before you are due to set off to create such route, and it cannot be stored as a route, only as individual places. :lol:

I had to refer to the manual to learn how to create tours in PCM, because it is not at all intuitive. You need to first plan navigation from A to your final destination and then you can add up to 10 midway points (stopovers). You can also re-sort them by sequence.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/201 ... Navigation

8-)

Edit: reading the above link again, a created tour can be stored in the PCM. So you can plan it in advance, just has to be done in the car, not at home on a computer / phone and then downloaded to the PCM. :)

2nd edit:
for the previous version of PCM's: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/201 ... overs-tour
Our stable:
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

It is clunky, but you can create and store tours in the PCM. As you mentioned, you need to do start and end first and then add the intermediate points - adding enough points that it takes the route you want of course.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

I have learned something. Still massively t**s about a**e come to think about it. Setting of at first light for a trip and add 30 minutes to create the list is backwards. I will keep it in mind though
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nosmo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:22 pm I have learned something. Still massively t**s about a**e come to think about it. Setting of at first light for a trip and add 30 minutes to create the list is backwards. I will keep it in mind though
Definitely clunky, almost steam powered tech. :lol:

I have learnt something too as I did not know that PCM could store tours. :)
You could do the plotting a day before, if the PCM saves the whole tours. You then just recall the tour when setting off.
Our stable:
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Semerka wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:06 pm
Nosmo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:22 pm I have learned something. Still massively t**s about a**e come to think about it. Setting of at first light for a trip and add 30 minutes to create the list is backwards. I will keep it in mind though

You could do the plotting a day before, if the PCM saves the whole tours. You then just recall the tour when setting off.
So similar to what I did when I created the "tour" with numbered waypoints and recalled them whilst reaching a destination. Now I use some seriously cool technology. A road map with a seriously small scale. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Nosmo wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 pm
Semerka wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:06 pm

So similar to what I did when I created the "tour" with numbered waypoints and recalled them whilst reaching a destination. Now I use some seriously cool technology. A road map with a seriously small scale. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: It is painful!

Before I had a SatNav I used to write down my main waypoints on a piece of paper and sort of memorize the map.
I would then follow the physical road signs. I think that we all got a bit lazy. :lol:
Our stable:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Posts-it notes on the dash of my Mini got me all the way to Bordeaux in my late ‘teens😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465