Transfer Box Number 2

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I wonder if these transfer boxes are all exactly the same across the range, SD, S, GTS, Turbo (not sure if 2.0 is 4WD and not interested enough to look it up)?

Quite different torque deliveries, so wonder if this is reflected in which models have the most failures?

Noticed mine (at 14 months and 9k miles, seemed to be doing that little 'arrested wheelspin hop', when pulling away with lock on yesterday. It was damp, but I wasn't being heavy footed etc. Got 10 months to 1st service, so plenty of time for it to get worse (if indeed it is a problem), rather than take it in now.

This could badly affect the out of warranty, 2nd hand market, if it became common knowledge.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I had mine replaced recently by Hatfield OPC at exactly 2 1/2 years old and 40k, so I would concur with the US forum. Service engineer told me the replacement was a re-designed box and the problem shouldn't occur again. I must say, Hatfield were great and replaced without a quibble within 3 days (and gave me a 718 Boxster to play with in the meantime).

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Probably not relevant in this thread. :oops:
I think that the big wheeled Macans also suffer a little bit from the effects of Ackerman steering geometry (or the lack of :?: ) , where in cold weather the front tyres will skip sideways on full lock, nowhere near as bad as Mercedes though or our previous 981 Cayman.
Our Macan sometimes does this, on 20" wheels.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

If anyone thinks they have a transfer box issue I would not wait to get it fixed. I had mine replaced after two years and 20,000 . When pulling out of a side road onto the A52 the car jumped forward and stalled half way across the road. I was fortunate that there was not a lot of traffic about .
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

JKNHants wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:28 pm I share your unease Mancman. The Audi/VW Group have plenty of experience of 4WD systems and I haven't heard of transfer box problems on other vehicles in the Group (including the Cayenne). Surely Jaguar/Rover do not suffer these issues with their 4WD vehicles (and nor has my 13 year old Mitsubishi). Although I do not expect to run such a quick vehicle cheaply this is neither routine maintenance nor a minor repair cost. For "Goodwill" I would read "Obligation" and wonder whether the sale of goods act has application in this case. I should add that the OPC I use (Portsmouth) has been nothing but helpful in resolving (pre-delivery) problems in the past.
Touaregs have had lots of transfer box problems, all similar to the Macan issues. One of mine had to have the transfer box replaced after about a year and ten thousand miles.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MattMacan

Post by MattMacan »

Semerka wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 pm Probably not relevant in this thread. :oops:
I think that the big wheeled Macans also suffer a little bit from the effects of Ackerman steering geometry (or the lack of :?: ) , where in cold weather the front tyres will skip sideways on full lock, nowhere near as bad as Mercedes though or our previous 981 Cayman.
Our Macan sometimes does this, on 20" wheels.
It was myself who started this thread when i had to have Transfer Box number 2 replaced... and like you say they two aren't exactly relevant to each other but my Macan has always suffered from the effects of 'Ackerman geometry' and yes it is more prominent in the cold. Something we have to live with i suppose in order for the car to handle so well at all other times. It can be quite disconcerting though when the cars making momentary mini little skips and slips across the road as you attempt to pull out of a junction with some lock on :?
ricardoespana

Post by ricardoespana »

Tall Phil wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:33 pm Wow, number 2. That is bad luck or, as earlier mentioned, perhaps an underlying problem exists.

Whilst this is serious and gets the attention, as it should, I wonder what the percentage of transfer-box failures is against the number of Macans sold.

2% failure, less or more? Probably less.

Also some of the older Macans should be getting higher mileages, some must be up around 30k miles. I guess these examples are still going fine? Anyone out there at these sorts of miles?
I picked my SD up yesterday, 55k km, so 34k miles, 2015, was German originally, imported to Spain (not sure if that matters) No transfer box issues (touch wood), smooth through all the gears and no jerkiness, tried off road yesterday too, was fine. It was my only concern buying one of these but i got a gearbox and engine warranty from the garage i bought it off for 1 year, so fingers crossed if it does go, it goes soon haha.
Mouldy72

Post by Mouldy72 »

My Macan S is out of warranty and I've just been informed it needs a new transfer box. It only has 28k on the clock and Porsche will not offer any compensation or contribution. Absolutely ridiculous that a part such as this should fail on a £60k car after so little mileage. Is there an ombudsman for the car industry?
Paul

Post by Paul »

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul

Post by Paul »

Re your request for a contribution, have you asked “ Porsche” or just your dealership?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465