Transfer Box Number 2

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MattMacan

Post by MattMacan »

Looks like i'll be booking in for replacement Transfer Box NUMBER 2

Same symptoms as before, juddery acceleration from stand still through first, second and third gears. Also clunky whilst maneuvering forward and back. Symptoms seem to be more pronounced once that car is up to temperature.

Way back I was the first Macan to have the issue at my local OPC (Nottingham). Car was with them for 3 weeks whilst they experimented in order to figure out what was causing the issue. Wonder if i'm the first to require a second one? Is there a prize?

Safe to say i am not impressed!

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

That's not at all good. There are a number of members on here that have suffered the same problem but certainly think your the first with two 😕. How many miles on each and wonder whether anything else within the set up is aggravating it? Hope they sort it promptly for you.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Weatherald

Post by Weatherald »

That’s my worry. Hence I’ve extended my warranty. I’ve had a new transfer box but the car still exhibits odd characteristics ie near side rear wheel kind of sticking and jerky on left lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neil
MattMacan

Post by MattMacan »

I can confirm that a second transfer box is required. Was out and about in the car this morning and the tell tail signs started to kick in once the car was up to temperature. Notchy acceleration particularly noticeable in a little stop start traffic on the Motorway. Drove straight to Nottingham Porsche Center with no notice and left it with them. The test drive with the workshop engineer lasted a whole 3 meters reversing out of a parking space. The car juddered immediately so we didn't need to go any further. He knew straight away!

I must say that on this occasion Nottingham have dealt with me much better than previous visits (for example my first service was free due to very poor customer care) They arranged and paid for a taxi to get me home and have also provided me with a hire car (E class Merc) even though i did not extend the Porsche assist. I do however have the extended Warranty, so expect all costs relating to the repair to be covered.

First transfer box was required after 16 months (August 2015) Approx 8,000 miles. My car is now approaching 4 years old in May, 25,000 miles on the clock
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

It’s worth asking the OPC if the new transfer box has been modified?

My understanding (third hand) is it has recently (last 6 months ish) been modified so there should be no repeat.

They can check the relevant part numbers etc. That at least gives you confidence going forward.

That would also be helpful for other owners on this forum.
GTS 😀
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Wow, number 2. That is bad luck or, as earlier mentioned, perhaps an underlying problem exists.

Whilst this is serious and gets the attention, as it should, I wonder what the percentage of transfer-box failures is against the number of Macans sold.

2% failure, less or more? Probably less.

Also some of the older Macans should be getting higher mileages, some must be up around 30k miles. I guess these examples are still going fine? Anyone out there at these sorts of miles?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Macan S petrol 2015 at 36000 miles. No serious issue. Only problem is at slow traffic the gear shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes judders. Took it to dealer and the car worked perfectly fine... grrr... but unlike others, mine has no issue going into reverse gear.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
MattMacan

Post by MattMacan »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:37 pm It’s worth asking the OPC if the new transfer box has been modified?

My understanding (third hand) is it has recently (last 6 months ish) been modified so there should be no repeat.

They can check the relevant part numbers etc. That at least gives you confidence going forward.

That would also be helpful for other owners on this forum.

Nottingham did say that a modified transfer box is now available and has been for around a year or so. So i feel its safe to assume that this latest failure is due to another faulty first Gen part. I will be sure to have this confirmed.
Of the 50 or so that Nottingham have now replaced, mine is indeed the first to need a second one.

As for any other underlying issue, i will of course push this point. First time round i do know that they did also work on the "drive-train" as part of their experimental repair (i'm not all that mechanically minded but drive shaft replacement seems to ring a bell with me)
Salty

Post by Salty »

That’s really bad news. I had the same symptoms on my 2014 Macan Petrol S a few months ago. My OPC insisted that it was not a problem with the transfer box and changed the drive shafts which did cure the problem. The car is out of warranty so when I told them that it’s a known fault they “only” charged me £500 of the £2000+ cost for the work.
The car has now done 27,500.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
dylankid

Post by dylankid »

i suffered the same problems juddering and a horrible noise when reversing.
Called OPC East London who transferred me to Porsche assistance who collected the car the next day and arranged for a loan car (BMW 525D)
Car was with the dealer for 2 days and they called to say they replaced the transfer box and all working fine. :)
My car was still under warranty so no charge.
Macan Turbo 2015 with 28k
White with Black leather, Air susp, Sports chrono, Sports exhaust, Panroof, PTV +,21 turbo wheels, PDLS + etc