991.2 C4 GTS 1,000 mile review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

Having now covered 1k miles in my C4 GTS I thought I'd share some of my views of the car for those that are interested. I must say that Porsche Reading have been superb throughout and kept me informed and feeling special from the day I ordered until current day, ensuring that I'm happy with the car and checking whether I have any questions or concerns so hats off to them

Not really sure where to start so will just go with a list of bullet points as they occur to me and feel free to ask any questions.

* I was concerned after my test drive of a Cabrio GTS that the ride might be too firm and crashy given that the C4 has lowered sports suspension. Not a bit of it - the ride, whilst on the firm side, is supple and compliant in normal mode and smooths out the bumps very well. Plainly it is a different beast when suspension in sports plush which is probably best reserved for the track.

* I have read so much about the muted nose from the 991.2 but honestly can't say it is remotely an issue - the car sounds like a proper Porsche with that unique "tin of nuts and bolts" mechanical music coming from the engine and the lovely flat 6 wail as you get to higher revs (although not yet gone over about 5k in mine I redlined the one at the PEC)

* I went for standard sports seat and these are incredibly comfortable. Other than electric adjustment I seriously cannot see the need for anything else.

* Thanks to Nuclear Nick I selected the extended alcantara and leather interior without deviated stitching and actually prefer it to the full GTS interiors. It is a lovely place to be

* PDK box is sublimely smooth and has an extraordinary range of capabilities depending on which mode you are in.

* Throttle response is disappointing in "Normal" mode and turbo-lag is evident, it's not as progressive as I would expect bringing on a lump of power which isn't always welcome. In sports mode the throttle response is nicely progressive and no turbo lag is evident that I can find. Sports + is best left for the track unless using the paddles but even then gear changes are brutal and, I suspect, you could unsettle the car if your inputs are anything other than smooth as silk.

* Acceleration is, as you would expect, epic and the car's willingness to surge forward when you want it to is unbelievable. Yet it can be as docile as an overfed labrador when you want it to be.

* Grip and handling are other-worldly. Even at the PEC on a wet track it was impossible to find the car's limits before bottling it. On a public road I think it would be impossible to find the limits without being arrested unless on snow/ice/mud.

* Handling reminds me of the precision and almost telepathic responses of the Cayman.

* Fuel consumption has been the biggest surprise coming from the Macan. I always seem to get c 32 mpg on a motorway run and around 24-25 mpg around town and have averaged c 27 mpg over the 1k miles. All this from a 450hp sports car.

* I think I would probably describe the car as a very sporty Grand Tourer. It is incredibly comfortable and incredibly capable but at no time does it seem to threaten to bite you in the arse. It's fun yet civilised, very practical and also beautiful.

To say I am over the moon with it would be an understatement. Yes buying a 911 is a total indulgence but it provides bucket fulls of pleasure and is a very special machine. Anyone in any doubt about whether they should get one doubt no more and run out and buy one. Any one. They really are that good.

Largely thanks to everyone on here I think I nailed the spec too. Nothing I wish I had ordered and nothing I ordered do I wish I didn't. Thanks to all who had any input.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Great review. I seriously miss my 991.1 C2. My Macan turbo has been fantastic but a 911 it isn't. I will get me another one some day, until then, I will have to make do with reports like yours.
Happy and safe motoring.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

VanB wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:19 pm Anyone in any doubt about whether they should get one doubt no more and run out and buy one. Any one. They really are that good.

OK

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8

:P
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
Paul

Post by Paul »

Great review VanB! Well thought through and enthusiastically written๐Ÿ‘

Still resisting...........just!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great review :D :D :D
VanB

Post by VanB »

Paul wrote:Great review VanB! Well thought through and enthusiastically written[emoji106]

Still resisting...........just!
You know you want to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VanB

Post by VanB »

ScotMac wrote:Great review :D :D :D
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Great review Van and perfect timing to give me one last, I want it now fix, before I collect mine on Wednesday. Especially glad to hear your endorsement of Nicks recommended alcantara leather upgrade. Just two more sleeps untill I join the happy band of 911 converts.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
VanB

Post by VanB »

wallaby wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:13 pm
VanB wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:19 pm Anyone in any doubt about whether they should get one doubt no more and run out and buy one. Any one. They really are that good.

OK

:P
A lot of options there Wallaby some of which I'm sure you could do without - I'm sure others will tell you what to delete! 911 does look really good in Night Blue, though.
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

great review!! No need for me to write a review now except for one small detail.. throttle response.. Maybe it's because yours is a GTS, i.e. slightly higher boost levels compared with my C2S, mine feels very progressive with barely any noticeable lag. Like you, the MPG I'm getting is also ridiculous.. with a mere 525 miles on the clock, 29-34mpg.
The sound from even the standard exhaust is just right, sonorous and very much 911, but quiet when you want it to be.

Awesome cars!!
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo