991.2 C4 GTS 1,000 mile review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

Rab J wrote:Great review Van and perfect timing to give me one last, I want it now fix, before I collect mine on Wednesday. Especially glad to hear your endorsement of Nicks recommended alcantara leather upgrade. Just two more sleeps untill I join the happy band of 911 converts.
It is very much something to look forward to, Rab. Incidentally my instructor at PEC reckoned that the ONLY colour for a 911 GTS was Carmine (thanks, mate having told him mine was GT Silver)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

VanB wrote: ↑Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:06 pm
Rab J wrote:Great review Van and perfect timing to give me one last, I want it now fix, before I collect mine on Wednesday. Especially glad to hear your endorsement of Nicks recommended alcantara leather upgrade. Just two more sleeps untill I join the happy band of 911 converts.
It is very much something to look forward to, Rab. Incidentally my instructor at PEC reckoned that the ONLY colour for a 911 GTS was Carmine (thanks, mate having told him mine was GT Silver)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like the instructor needs some customer satisfaction training lol Personally I agonised quite some time deciding between GT and Carmine. Having said that I have yet to see a colour that doesn't suit a 911, after that its down to personal preference.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
VanB

Post by VanB »

I also agonised between Carmine and GT silver and, whilst I am happy with my choice, I may well go Carmine if I’m lucky enough to be able to buy another new one in the future
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Superb review Van πŸ‘

It makes it extra special when you get your spec spot on. Sounds like the whole journey has been great for you.

A 911 is such an incredible car. On the track or even day to day on our roads. The MPG is very impressive. Even my Mini Cooper S is 22mog around town πŸ™„

Many happy miles... I think your spec is very spot on for a GTS πŸ˜€
GTS πŸ˜€
VanB

Post by VanB »

Thanks, Kas - so far so good and yes the whole experience has been spot on
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Great review. thanks for taking the time again to share your experience and insight.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Just catching up after being away....

Great summary VanB. You're notching up the miles faster than me, although I do try to think up excuses to take the car out!

I'm having a very similar experience it seems, and I too am absolutely blown away by this car. I agree with most of the things you mention, but maybe I'm being a little gentler with the running in process so haven't explored some the performance glimpses that you have so far. For this reason I haven't noted 'turbo lag' yet but with the window down and cruising through high-banked Devon lanes recently I loved the sound of the turbos spooling up, even with relatively small throttle inputs. Much of the time I'm using sport mode as I find that puts the car in a lower ratio when I want to avoid it labouring a little while running in. I can understand your comment about slower pick up in normal mode, but do you think this might be more about being in a higher gear, rather than actual turbo lag? I'm just up to 1000 miles now and will be starting to increase loading gradually so will be able to test out that thought a bit more.

It's a great thrill to own a car like this and I'm still pinching myself to prove it has really happened. Now where can I go for another little spin....
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

Nuclear Nick wrote: ↑Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am Just catching up after being away....

Great summary VanB. You're notching up the miles faster than me, although I do try to think up excuses to take the car out!

I'm having a very similar experience it seems, and I too am absolutely blown away by this car. I agree with most of the things you mention, but maybe I'm being a little gentler with the running in process so haven't explored some the performance glimpses that you have so far. For this reason I haven't noted 'turbo lag' yet but with the window down and cruising through high-banked Devon lanes recently I loved the sound of the turbos spooling up, even with relatively small throttle inputs. Much of the time I'm using sport mode as I find that puts the car in a lower ratio when I want to avoid it labouring a little while running in. I can understand your comment about slower pick up in normal mode, but do you think this might be more about being in a higher gear, rather than actual turbo lag? I'm just up to 1000 miles now and will be starting to increase loading gradually so will be able to test out that thought a bit more.

It's a great thrill to own a car like this and I'm still pinching myself to prove it has really happened. Now where can I go for another little spin....
If I recall Nick yours is a manual? If so you should always be in the right gear to make use of the power and I suspect your comment on being in too high a gear in normal mode could be bang on the money as the PDK shifts into as high a gear as possible as quickly as possible when driven in normal mode. Strangely I haven't heard any turbo whistle since I got the car despite it being slightly irritating on the test drive but that was in a cabriolet.

I haven't really pushed the car yet and not sure I can see when you would be able to on the public road. I do really like the engine note in sport but could probably do without all the pops and bangs which make me sound like a hooligan!

Glad you seem to be enjoying yours as much as I am mine and others soon to join in too :)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great review, VanB. Thanks for sharing. Your pleasure with your new steed is evident from every word that you write. :)

Am pretty sure that Nick has a PDK. (Mine will be a manual transmission.)

Regarding Normal mode, I think it would be more accurate if Porsche called it economy mode, as it is super-keen to change up through the gears from one to eight.

As has been said (maybe by Col) the car in Sport Mode (Macan, Panamera or 911 etc) is how Porsche meant it to be. The Normal/Economy mode is there for emissions statistics. Oddly, I find the fuel consumption in Sport Mode to be pretty close to that achieved in Economy Mode.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Thanks for posting VanB - I think the fuel consumption on the newer 911s is really impressive and thats what really surprised me too moving from a Macan Turbo.

I think the GT3 might be somewhat lower!
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S