Driving across europe

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Helen Goff

Post by Helen Goff »

I got a place to attend Porsches 70th Birthday in Stuttgart so will be driving down through Holland. I have not done this since 2009 since driving down to Austria in a 356 for a porsche international.
So question is what do i need to carry in the car that i don’t bother with in the UK ?

Torch
Warning triangle
First aid kit
Hi-vis for each of us
Light bulbs ? 🤔

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Here is a list from the AA website for driving rules / law for each European country:

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdow ... by-country

Enjoy the drive and the event! I was surprised how young Porsche are compared to much more established car manufacturers. Same age as UK's NHS. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Although we’re not going to the event - sadly we arranged our trip before the party was announced - we’ll be passing through the area on the 7th and 8th. Should be lots of ‘spotting’ going on! :roll: And your blue/green beauty shouldn’t be difficult to spot.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Helen Goff wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:37 am I got a place to attend Porsches 70th Birthday in Stuttgart so will be driving down through Holland. I have not done this since 2009 since driving down to Austria in a 356 for a porsche international.
So question is what do i need to carry in the car that i don’t bother with in the UK ?

Torch
Warning triangle
First aid kit
Hi-vis for each of us
Light bulbs ? 🤔

Helen
Pleased to see you on the forum, the 70th sounds excellent. All I can add is that in Stuttgart you are required to display a suitable 'low emission zone' (umwelt?) sticker for your car on your windscreen. They're quite big, so the lack of one would be easily spotted. I was there last September and am pleased I had one, although I apparently paid too much through a bogus website.
This link .................... https://www.stuttgart.de/en/item/show/573353 - has details of where to buy one, even from local authorised sellers such as garages, so you could leave it till you are there if you wish.

I can recommend the Mercure at Gerlingen, a short drive into Stuttgart, mid range in a very good location, good breakfast, lovely staff, plenty of parking, quiet suburb, Italian restaurant just around the corner, a DIY car wash a mile away - I expect you will want the green beauty looking its best. Their website is ...... https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-75 ... ndex.shtml, they are also on Booking.com.

If it interests you, and you have time, 50miles north at Sinsheim, is a private transport museum, the best I've ever seen with cars, planes, trains and lots of WW2 stuff, even an IMAX, a great day out.

Through Holland looks like a nice drive, be aware that Holland has very expensive fuel.

DSC00350.jpg

Last edited by Bigboyrolo on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:33 pm
Helen Goff wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:37 am I got a place to attend Porsches 70th Birthday in Stuttgart so will be driving down through Holland. I have not done this since 2009 since driving down to Austria in a 356 for a porsche international.

Torch
Warning triangle
First aid kit
Hi-vis for each of us
Light bulbs ? 🤔

Helen
Pleased to see you on the forum, the 70th sounds excellent. All I can add is that in Stuttgart you are required to display a suitable 'low emission zone' (umwelt?) sticker for your car on your windscreen. They're quite big, so the lack of one would be easily spotted. I was there last September and am pleased I had one, although I apparently paid too much through a bogus website.
This link .................... https://www.stuttgart.de/en/item/show/5 ... t=homepage has details of where to buy one, even from local authorised sellers such as garages, so you could leave it till you are there if you wish.

I can recommend the Mercure at Gerlingen, a short drive into Stuttgart, mid range in a very good location, good breakfast, lovely staff, plenty of parking, quiet suburb, Italian restaurant just around the corner, a DIY car wash a mile away - I expect you will want the green beauty looking its best. Its on Booking.com.

If it interests you, and you have time, 50miles north at Sinsheim, is a private transport museum, the best I've ever seen with cars, planes, trains and lots of WW2 stuff, even an IMAX, a great day out.

Through Holland looks like a nice drive, be aware that Holland has very expensive fuel.

DSC00350.jpg
Excellent Macan parking, Frank! :o
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Guy

Post by Guy »

I just wanted to add some potentially useful info to this old thread after my trip back to Germany last week, specifically about the need for an 'Umwelt Zone' sticker. Such stickers are needed in various areas of Germany, and the requirement can be checked here: https://www.umwelt-plakette.de/en/information-about-german-environmental-badge/environmental-zones-in-germany/german-environmental-zones.html

I used to have an Unwelt sticker in my Macan when I lived in Germany, but stupidly removed it on moving back to UK! However, when travelling to our hotel in Eschweiler last week, I was faced with this useful message on Waze:

IMG_3420.PNG

I ignored it and took the risk, knowing that I was going to be parking in the hotel's underground car-park (out of bounds to traffic wardens!) and that (AFAIK) the Germans do not used camera detectors to either look for the sticker or cross refer the registration number to a database. I think I got away with it - otherwise an €80 fine would have arrived!

Anyway, on return I investigated getting an Umwelt sticker for my next Germany trip, and found that that you can order them very quickly/cheaply from here: https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php

The cost was just €6 (paid with UK Credit Card), and the sticker arrived within a week - much easier than finding an appropriate garage (and paying a premium!) once in Germany. Hence I recommend purchasing a sticker well before your next trip to the Stuttgart Porsche museum or wherever! :D
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Thank you Guy, very useful! :)

I have downloaded the Green-Zones app and looks like France has got many more "green" zones.

Conveniently, the big roundabout where Porsche Aachen are located and the road leading to it are exempt. :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Guy

Post by Guy »

Semerka wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:38 am Thank you Guy, very useful! :)

I have downloaded the Green-Zones app and looks like France has got many more "green" zones.
No problem. I tend to avoid France apart from that really boring bit where you head East from Eurotunnel (shortest route to Germany/Aachen etc - I think there's a couple of other countries en route but never really notice :D)