3,000 review Macan S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Marra

Post by Marra »

As a Cumbrian, I cut my teeth on those roads, originally in my Triumph Herald. Problem with wide cars such as the Macan is that the dry stone walls that often run alongside the roads have very little “give” in them 😀 One of the other issues is that people who don’t use the passes regularly think that it’s easier to reverse uphill rather than downhill if you meet between passing places - it isn’t.

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Marra wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:22 pm As a Cumbrian, I cut my teeth on those roads, originally in my Triumph Herald. Problem with wide cars such as the Macan is that the dry stone walls that often run alongside the roads have very little “give” in them 😀 One of the other issues is that people who don’t use the passes regularly think that it’s easier to reverse uphill rather than downhill if you meet between passing places - it isn’t.
Very true, people driving downhill need to follow the established etiquette of stopping and letting cars going uphill pass them. And also the need to look further ahead to see what's coming.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Marra wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:22 pm As a Cumbrian, I cut my teeth on those roads, originally in my Triumph Herald. Problem with wide cars such as the Macan is that the dry stone walls that often run alongside the roads have very little “give” in them 😀 One of the other issues is that people who don’t use the passes regularly think that it’s easier to reverse uphill rather than downhill if you meet between passing places - it isn’t.
Lost the side of our A3 going down the Wrynose. Some plank in a Panzer Volvo decided there was plenty of room for 2 cars, right on the apex of a hairpin, leaving me no option but to park our near side cill/door and rear 3/4 panel on top of a huge boulder!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Col M

Post by Col M »

Well you can feel quite satisfied...till the Mountain Goat Bus comes up the other way! 🙄
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
грязныйдизель

Post by грязныйдизель »

I did Bealach na Ba (Applecross) pass at weekend. Similar, I think, except Hardknott and Wrynose looks better paved and probably no snow over Easter? Macan good although having to reverse back to a passing place with a 300m drop 30cm from your wheels can be a bit nervewracking
Salty

Post by Salty »

Marra wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm Just completed 3,000 miles in my Macan S and my longest trip - round trip from Hampshire to Borrowdale in the Lakes over the bank holiday weekend - thought I’d share my latest views on the car.

* The car really does gobble up the miles.
* Very quiet and very stable on the motorway.
* The brakes are quite superb, had to make a very quick stop on the motorway and my only concern was the guy behind - luckily he was paying attention and was far enough back.
* The 14 way seats are SO comfortable.
* I know we Porsche drivers shouldn’t concern ourselves with MPG but the economy is very poor - I don’t consider myself heavy footed but I struggle to break mid 20’s.
* I love the sat nav and DAB radio, Jukebox is great too.
* Boot was just big enough for the 2 of us for our trip - however I’m from the lakes originally so I did take a lot of stuff.
* Great ride on PASM and 19” wheels
* The car is wide, had me breathing in a few times driving on the narrow lakeside roads and looking for the “best” parking spaces.
* Volcano Grey looked great even in the gloomy light conditions.

All in all - I’m still delighted with the car.
Great review thanks. Me and Mrs Salty are looking forward to picking up our new GTS next week sometime and We will be saying goodby to the current petrol S. The only negative I can think of really is that fuel consumption is a little heavier than I would like which means that I tend not to use "sport" function as much I would like. The fuel consumption on the GTS will be worse and the temptation to use "sport" even greater. :lol:
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Marra wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm Just completed 3,000 miles in my Macan S and my longest trip - round trip from Hampshire to Borrowdale in the Lakes over the bank holiday weekend - thought I’d share my latest views on the car.

* The brakes are quite superb, had to make a very quick stop on the motorway and my only concern was the guy behind - luckily he was paying attention and was far enough back.
* I know we Porsche drivers shouldn’t concern ourselves with MPG but the economy is very poor - I don’t consider myself heavy footed but I struggle to break mid 20’s.
* Boot was just big enough for the 2 of us for our trip - however I’m from the lakes originally so I did take a lot of stuff.
* The car is wide, had me breathing in a few times driving on the narrow lakeside roads and looking for the “best” parking spaces.

I think you might see an improvement in fuel consumption after a few thousand more miles. Our S has now done just over 14,000. We always use super unleaded for the additives, Shell when we can find it, and now usually achieve just shy of 30mpg in everyday driving, but I've no idea the extent to which the super is contributing. We do quite frequent trips between the Scottish Borders and home in Dorset, and always achieve at least 34mpg on that journey, even with some fairly spirited driving on the A7 between Carlisle and Hawick.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Marra, my S was almost the same spec as yours, and I agree with every aspect you comment on.
I did almost 10k miles in my recently sold S, long term mpg on the pcm was 23.5 in reality 22 perhaps? 28 was my best ever on a 350km cruise, add in the extra cost of 98 octane makes it pricey to run, as are most petrol Porsches.
My standad exhaust developed nicely, on start up it burbled quite loudly, but only for 30/40 secs, great in confined spaces. There were also pops & crackles on the overrun at higher revs, I would crack the sunroof open just to hear them. I never missed a Sports Exhaust though.
Sat Nav was excellent for how I used it, very accurate in Europe and UK when guiding to a garage/hotel/OPC as a POI. We never failed to find our destination by name anywhere we went in Europe
DAB radio was so much better than in my Jags, in particular it didn't crackle & pop on a low quaity signal, it just cut out and back in, still a nuisance but much easier on the ears.
Yes a Macan is wide, you'll get used to it, but not compared to a Panamera, I've changed a few of my local routes as a result.
VG still looks the best of the standard colours to me.

All in all - I miss my Macan.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

rydercowan wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:58 pm

I think you might see an improvement in fuel consumption after a few thousand more miles. Our S has now done just over 14,000. We always use super unleaded for the additives, Shell when we can find it, and now usually achieve just shy of 30mpg in everyday driving, but I've no idea the extent to which the super is contributing. We do quite frequent trips between the Scottish Borders and home in Dorset, and always achieve at least 34mpg on that journey, even with some fairly spirited driving on the A7 between Carlisle and Hawick.
I don’t know how you manage 34mpg. We’ve never had fuel consumption that good, even on long trips. We’ve got about 11,000 miles on ours and average around 23-24mpg. The best we’ve had was about 28mpg driving from Sussex to the Lake District. But, like most, we still love the car.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Paul

Post by Paul »

Snap! 16000 on my GTS and the best I’ve seen is 28 on a gentle M-way run to Dover. Early ‘20s is the norm.
Maybe the GTS has a different gear ratio to the S and revs a bit harder (just a thought?)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465