Volcano Grey GTS - 500 mile review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

neilj007 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am Great review Alex...I'm now on 1,500 miles and starting to open the pipes a bit. As has been mentioned before, economy "seems" to have improved when i drive it like my Volvo...

...and my wife just does not "get" the sport button and the performance that brings...shows I made the right choice :-)
I find the Car Connect app is quite useful for keeping an eye on economy. I hate to think what I'm going to return when I am on a track. I remember being at Brooklands for a Mercedes corporate team building event a couple years ago. I had an S63 out and managed 4MPG. I imagine pulling out the same horrified expression again...

The Sport button is being avoided as I'll never stay under 4000RPM but I agree, it's brilliant. Did you opt for Sport Chrono as well?

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Paul1970 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 am Great read. Having come from a GTD myself I completely get the automatic braking issue. Many a time my car was convinced I was about to crash, often when approaching a filter lane at traffic lights but before branching off into it. Not a feature I expect to miss (unless of course I do career into the back of another car!)

I also find the low mpg on the Porsche really brings home just how amazing the Golf was given that it was supremely quick and could be hammered around town yet still return somewhere in the 30s for that type of driving and high 40s for motorway and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, I've always had a Golf GTI or GTD as they're such versatile cars. I ended up with a GTD this time as I've never really gotten on with the lurid interior. They're brilliant cars and having driven a 7.5, they're excellent value for the money when you compare the standard package to the number of ticks you have to add to a Porsche after the base car. I remapped our GTD and it was returning 50's, not on my watch but my wife manages it regularly. She is more saintly than me.

I hope you get your car back soon. I found I missed driving the GTS when it was at the detailer for a week.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

alxgb wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 am
neilj007 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am Great review Alex...I'm now on 1,500 miles and starting to open the pipes a bit. As has been mentioned before, economy "seems" to have improved when i drive it like my Volvo...

...and my wife just does not "get" the sport button and the performance that brings...shows I made the right choice :-)
I find the Car Connect app is quite useful for keeping an eye on economy. I hate to think what I'm going to return when I am on a track. I remember being at Brooklands for a Mercedes corporate team building event a couple years ago. I had an S63 out and managed 4MPG. I imagine pulling out the same horrified expression again...

The Sport button is being avoided as I'll never stay under 4000RPM but I agree, it's brilliant. Did you opt for Sport Chrono as well?
I use the sport button a lot while running in my 911 GTS. I find it keeps the engine spinning under a lighter load and uses more gear ratios, but yes, you do need to keep a disciplined right foot!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 am
alxgb wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 am

I use the sport button a lot while running in my 911 GTS. I find it keeps the engine spinning under a lighter load and uses more gear ratios, but yes, you do need to keep a disciplined right foot!
That's a good point. Driving around where I live does tend to involve the car moving through all the ratios but like most automatic boxes, it wants to put you into a high gear much sooner.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Really good write-up and echos many of my own experiences (but in much more articulate and entertaining manner!)
18 months and 16000 miles in, and the perceived width is still one if my little anxieties - particularly round here with our relatively narrow lanes......and the elderly coming in the opposite direction!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I don’t find it wide but then have spent the best part of the last ten 10 years in a X5. Latterly my runaround was a Golf VII R so I miss the ACC. The R was £ for £ the best car I ever owned but overall I prefer the Macan.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
eakae

Post by eakae »

Great write up! Loving the fact you bought the car because of your dog... And why not? People tend to buy a more appropriate car when they have children so why not dogs?

I do admire the way you look after your car(s). I wish I had that kind of passion although given I have to leave the car parked on the street it would be a futile task. However, I am thinking about the oil change once mine has been run in. I do wonder whether that’s what caused my first one to regularly breakdown... 🤔
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

You made me laugh when stating you're considering taking it on track just for larfs and wind the purists up. Please do share that story and pictures when you go through with it. And yes, the car is amzing, even on the pitted and rutted roads.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Great review, hopefully will experience it soon!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

Great write up, starting to get fed up with the wait on mine now! 😂