Volcano Grey GTS - 500 mile review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Whenโ€™s it due ๐Ÿ˜!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

eakae wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:55 pm Great write up! Loving the fact you bought the car because of your dog... And why not? People tend to buy a more appropriate car when they have children so why not dogs?

I do admire the way you look after your car(s). I wish I had that kind of passion although given I have to leave the car parked on the street it would be a futile task. However, I am thinking about the oil change once mine has been run in. I do wonder whether thatโ€™s what caused my first one to regularly breakdown... ๐Ÿค”
Absolutely agree. I'm a fan of cars for purposes but other than maybe a lightweight 4x4 (looking for a Fiat Panda Sisley), I think my garage is perfect IMHO. That said, the dog appears to like the increased space, better view due to the angle of the rear window and air suspension on the GTS. :D

I used to have to leave a car on the street when I lived in London - I had to run a hose from the back of the house through the front to wash it. That'll test anyone's passion or conviction. I look after everything I own but with the cars, take the attitude that if you look after it, it'll look after you. All the treatments reduce the amount of time I'm spent cleaning them and to protect the car from wear as much as possible. I've strayed into detailing forums a couple of times to find information - the 'show us your detailing cupboard' thread was shown to my wife to prove that I had a long way to go! :lol:
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Paul wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:24 am Really good write-up and echos many of my own experiences (but in much more articulate and entertaining manner!)
18 months and 16000 miles in, and the perceived width is still one if my little anxieties - particularly round here with our relatively narrow lanes......and the elderly coming in the opposite direction!
Thanks Paul. I think I'm getting used to the width but I do tend to fiddle with the seat and make minor adjustments to it so my bonnet reference point to the left side changes and I think that probably has something to do with it. Guess I should drive it more to get used to it! :)

Oh yes, the elderly in the opposite direction are a classic around here too. It was only yesterday that I had to reverse about 50 metres to enable a pass. As I got about 10 metres after the point where I met the elderly driver, there was a pull in. I'm convinced that the Honda Jazz doesn't have a reverse gear and that the salesman at the Honda dealership must be retired on an island somewhere having sold so many to retirees! :D
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Nosmo wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:35 pm You made me laugh when stating you're considering taking it on track just for larfs and wind the purists up. Please do share that story and pictures when you go through with it. And yes, the car is amzing, even on the pitted and rutted roads.
Track days are for fun at the end of the day. I'm a member of a club who arrange circuit hire 3 or 4 times a year and everyone I know in it is very relaxed and with nothing to prove - they'll probably wind me up saying that it's about time that I brought a decent car along. Np, will post a few pictures up.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Mike and his Macan wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:09 pm Great review, hopefully will experience it soon!
May isn't far away and the weather will be better then too!
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Northandy wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm Great write up, starting to get fed up with the wait on mine now! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Thanks, how much longer is your wait?
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Should be at the opc end of the week, have them a pick up date of May the 4th, as I have the Silverstone day on the 3rd!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

alxgb wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 am
Northandy wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm Great write up, starting to get fed up with the wait on mine now! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Thanks, how much longer is your wait?
I'm hoping a few weeks but no real idea to be honest :roll: :D (see other thread in order forum)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Brilliant 500 mile review, Alex!

It's great that you're so pleased with your Macan GTS. :)

Your SE's initials aren't M.C. are they...? ;)

Love your tentative spec for a T! Had I found a wad of cash down the back of the sofa, I'd have loved to have added RAS and PCCBs...

Will be doing 400+ miles in the T this weekend, so will write a 600 mile review soon, though my writing skills are not up to yours!

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Taz

Post by Taz »

I echo the previous comments regarding the quality of your review. I have just completed 600 miles in my VG Macan Turbo and have loved every minute of it (well almost).

I had a Cayenne Diesel S previously which was a lovely car to drive and especially for long distance journeys, even if it did wallow a bit in the corners when I pushed on a bit. The car was 3 years old and the usual itch started to appear, despite me having told my wife that I would be keeping it for a long time.

She has a painful hip and the height of the car, coupled with our sloping driveway meant that she had difficulty getting into and out of the Cayenne. Ultimately that was the deciding factor in making the change and to a Macan.

The ride is fine and the handling is sublime; it does certainly warrant the label of being the best handling SUV. I can't comment on the power as I am still 'running it in' but it certainly feels as if it is going to be entertaining once I unleash all of the horses.

The only thing that I have to complain about is next door's cat - which climbed up onto the roof of my car using its claws to get onto the bonnet before climbing up the windscreen onto the roof. The scratches on the bonnet confirm the route it took (my preference would be a route to a mortuary for the animal).

Anyway, here is another satisfied customer.
Last edited by Taz on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So when is this โ€˜old enough to know betterโ€™ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021