Stop campaign on all Porsches!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Macman

Post by Macman »

Apparently the mobile phone repeaters in all new Porsche’s are now illegal, so there is a stop on all new Porsche sales until they can reprogramme them to a less powerful version. At the moment they don’t have the software to do this. This is not fake news, my new Porsche is now stuck at the OPC until they can sort it out.
If you search for Ofcom mobile phone repeaters you can learn more.
Gutted!
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

What is a repeater?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Guy

Post by Guy »

It's explained here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/la ... -repeaters

Here's the explanation:

Low gain in-vehicle repeaters

The second type of repeater, known as low gain mobile phone repeaters, are allowed to be used to help coverage inside’ cars and other road vehicles - but not in boats or static caravans.

They are designed to overcome the loss of signal that can occur between an external antenna on the outside of the vehicle to a cradle designed to hold the mobile phone inside it. They boost the signal inside the car to a similar level that a handset just outside the car would be able to receive.

If you are planning to use one of these devices in your vehicle, you should also make sure you follow existing laws regarding using your mobile phone while driving.

Sounds as if Ofcom have just started to licence (and enforce) something that has been in the pipeline for a while, and it would seem that Porsche may have been caught out by the permitted power level. I am surprised that they can't simply pull the fuse on the repeater until a software (or hardware) fix is found.
Last edited by Guy on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike and his Macan

Thanks, Im waiting for my opc to phone ( ironically) me! I take it that they will have to do it to all cars/ new/old?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Mike and his Macan

Ok so I spoke to the opc and he confirmed cars without the update cannot be sold, he also said that the factory had been updating during production.. However he was not sure at what point this was introduced, they had a delivery of cars yesterday and several where affected, some not! He was unable to confirm if my GTS was affected as it left the factory yesterday, however he said that the fix should be with them soon, as they are updating in the factory, so it’s a question of waiting until they receive the software.
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ So presumably those cars already sold require modification, unless there are 'grandfather rights' for cars sold before a certain date. Perhaps it will be offered as an optional recall for those who wish to comply with this new power limit.
Macman

Post by Macman »

I’ve just been in to my OPC this morning for an update, but mainly to vent my anger!
I spoke to the SE and his boss and they said that they have 71 new cars held up by this and no new Porsche’s can be registered in the country until the remedial work has been done, so if other dealers have the same numbers in the pipeline there could be nearly 2500 Porsche’s awaiting an update. Not sure about other VW products.
They admitted that their regulatory people in the U.K. totally missed this legislation, which was announced on 22nd March and no doubt discussed for many months before that. The company I work for has regulatory experts which watch for this and modify our products accordingly before the legislation takes effect, trade bodies also keep us updated. Why can’t Porsche manage that?? Surely the SMMT has been alerting people.
Anyway, they told us it will be sorted out by 27th April latest, but they have no idea what will need to be done to the car yet. They were talking in terms of a hardware change rather than a software update.
They told me that one customer was due to take delivery of his LHD Macan yesterday, which was booked on the ferry to go to France, where he will keep it at his home there. That plan has been totally squashed, so I suppose I’m fortunate in some ways.
If you already have your car and it is affected, they will issue a recall to come in and have your repeater turned down in some way. I think I’d leave it until they insisted on doing it at the next service, if I was in that situation.
So we walked back out to our courtesy car and looked longingly through the show room window at the perfectly prepared Macan S which we collected last week from Leipzig and drove back to the dealer yesterday morning. It has its UK plates on and looks brand new again, but we couldn’t touch it!
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
achilles8

Post by achilles8 »

Had the same info from my OPC. Delay could be a few days or a few weeks!
VanB

Post by VanB »

presumably loads of us who have taken delivery over the last few years could be subject to a recall? Not too keen myself!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I wonder if the fix will be better or worse?
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50