Alfa Fans...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Makes me kind of want one :D

2164E1A7-C368-4C95-B3C2-B30800389381.jpeg

Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes agree they are quite enticing but the pic is the article with the bonnet up does send a chill down the spine :lol:
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I thought that too :lol:
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

The reliability stereotype seems to be the thing that infuriates Alfa owners the most on the Alfa forum. Even in this article, the journalist starts by saying it has been impeccable but the takeaway is the picture with the bonnet up.

It’s interesting seeing another perspective as many Alfa owners seem to also own other cars in their household across the spectrum of brands. The consensus seems to be that issues are no more prevalent than for other brands - clearly though they are enthusiasts, so perhaps a little rose tinting. People broadly seem to want the brand to do well and are frustrated when the network and Alfa UK management don’t get it right.

The QF continues to surprise me. It is beautiful to look at and a phenomenal drive. I love this summary from the Top Gear long term review:

“It’s modern and high-tech but the proposition is simple: engine, handling, beauty. Those are things we want from Alfa. The Giulia over-delivers. And in all these long miles I was reminded how easy it is to manage without the peripheral diversions of connectivity or gadgetry or the idiotic decadence of self-opening bootlids. Shut up, drive, enjoy. A rainbow appears, tantalisingly close. I feel like I could reach out and touch its foot. Never mind me – how about the Giulia? It must be four decades since Alfa Romeo was this close to the pot of gold.”

That’s how I think of it. You can live with some of the quirks because the core parts of what makes a car great are all there, in spades. There’s not a day gone by so far that I’ve missed the Macan, except every time I go over a speed bump! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Totally agree the reliability issues are a stereo type and will plague the brand for ever it seems. I haven't had any Alfa experience for almost 20 years. At that time I had a Fiat Coupe Turbo which was extremely reliable except for an appetite for eating turbo seals and then producing a lot of smoke, didn't look good at an expensive flash car lol.

Any time the Coupe was in for service or sometimes just to try out a new car as my dealer was Fiat and Alfa I often had the loan of Alfas. Can't remember a single one that didn't come out with some form of fault, generally electrical, but also remember a GTV where the rear window seal was knackered and the screen tried to remove itself at anything over a decent speed. These were brand new demo cars so it was a really poor advert for the brand and the dealer that they couldn't even keep their own fleet fault free.

They did generally sound fantastic, I do remember a fun weekend in a 156 V6, it was returned with a LOT less rubber on the tyres, I was young at the time in my defence lol.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

3.5k-6k tyre wear and £23k down in 9 months does make the old wallet cry a bit though.

I thought my 147GTA ate through tyres but that's on a whole new level!

Still would like one though.

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

BigPhil wrote:3.5k-6k tyre wear and £23k down in 9 months does make the old wallet cry a bit though.

BigPhil
Indeed. Some of those cars are driven hard though. My car has done 4K miles and has 6mm of tread left. The tyres are very aggressive though and not sure I will replace my summer tyres with P Zero Corsas when the time comes.

My Macan lost £20k in just under 18 months, so unless you’re one of the lucky/skilled few, you tend to lose a big old chunk when buying cars like these. That said, I bought my QF on a PCP specifically to underwrite the future value.

Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Another good example. Auto Express Driver Power results for 2018 are out. Giulia places 3rd overall. In two places the Giulia is mentioned as having reliability issues / faults. Ironically, it scores better than a BMW 5 series in this area and yet no mention of the 5 series being unreliable.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/ ... 18-results

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:46 pm
BigPhil wrote:3.5k-6k tyre wear and £23k down in 9 months does make the old wallet cry a bit though.

BigPhil
Indeed. Some of those cars are driven hard though. My car has done 4K miles and has 6mm of tread left. The tyres are very aggressive though and not sure I will replace my summer tyres with P Zero Corsas when the time comes.

My Macan lost £20k in just under 18 months, so unless you’re one of the lucky/skilled few, you tend to lose a big old chunk when buying cars like these. That said, I bought my QF on a PCP specifically to underwrite the future value.

PCP is the wise way to go, and lets face it, selling at 9 months is always gonna hurt on a performance car like that.

I suppose the tyres are really a balance of fun/nursing them. You should see 10k out of yours with a bit of luck, which was about right for my GTA. I managed 17k out of the first set on my Macan, the 4wd downside is all four in one hit.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:21 pm The reliability stereotype seems to be the thing that infuriates Alfa owners the most on the Alfa forum. Even in this article, the journalist starts by saying it has been impeccable but the takeaway is the picture with the bonnet up.

It’s interesting seeing another perspective as many Alfa owners seem to also own other cars in their household across the spectrum of brands. The consensus seems to be that issues are no more prevalent than for other brands - clearly though they are enthusiasts, so perhaps a little rose tinting. People broadly seem to want the brand to do well and are frustrated when the network and Alfa UK management don’t get it right.

The QF continues to surprise me. It is beautiful to look at and a phenomenal drive. I love this summary from the Top Gear long term review:

“It’s modern and high-tech but the proposition is simple: engine, handling, beauty. Those are things we want from Alfa. The Giulia over-delivers. And in all these long miles I was reminded how easy it is to manage without the peripheral diversions of connectivity or gadgetry or the idiotic decadence of self-opening bootlids. Shut up, drive, enjoy. A rainbow appears, tantalisingly close. I feel like I could reach out and touch its foot. Never mind me – how about the Giulia? It must be four decades since Alfa Romeo was this close to the pot of gold.”

That’s how I think of it. You can live with some of the quirks because the core parts of what makes a car great are all there, in spades. There’s not a day gone by so far that I’ve missed the Macan, except every time I go over a speed bump! [emoji16]

It's funny, my dad always had Alfas but before I came along. In fact, I think it's because I came along that he didn't have Alfas after I turned up. :(

Fella I know has an 8C, bought it new and swears that the best ownership experience he has had from any manufacturer is with Alfa. This is someone who bought a 918 and was classified and looked after as a VIP customer. He said that Alfa still did a better job.

I was in the GTS the other day on the A14 and a Guilia turned up in services, sounded great. Then I encountered him on the road a bit later, he left me for dead. He was doing an obscene speed which is a shame as I would have liked to have had a better look at the car in motion. Dark metallic blue with ceramic brakes. Looked beautiful. I don't know if he was trying to prove a point or lose his licence.

You'll have to post a review and some photographs.