Adblue issue?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
happy days

Post by happy days »

Our McCann is approaching 33k and last week I got the second 'fill with adblue within 1500 miles warning'. So I picked up 20l and whilst staying over at a hotel in the West Coast of Ireland (work, not pleasure) I decided to fill up the adblue. At this stage it was telling me there were 600 miles to go until shut down.

I use a measuring jug and a funnel to top off the tank. I pour a litre at a time into the jug, as the 20l is quite heavy to lift for an old fellow like me. However this time, when it got about half way down, I decided to pour the adblue directly into the tank using the nozzle attachment. This worked until with about a 5l remaining in the tank, it all overflowed over the quarter panel and my suit and shoes.

I thought you had to put in a minimum of 20l when the warning light came on? Note that at its 20k service the dealer topped up the tank too (or at least it said this on the invoice). Strange?

(BTW, trousers and shoes were covered in little crystalline splash marks the following morning, but it all cleaned off with a little vigorous brushing. I rinsed the quarter panel and bumper with water while they were still wet).
Macan S D
718 S

brains1900

Post by brains1900 »

I recently added 2 times 10 litres OK with about 800 miles left. It does recommend parking on level ground when filling.
happy days

Post by happy days »

It was on level ground. The overspill left quite a stain on the ground. Thankfully it wasn't on my driveway!
Macan S D
718 S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I successfully added 20 litres at 600 mile warning. I wasted about a litre at first attempt before sourcing the VAG top up tube. Perhaps it air blocked on you.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I think the minimum 'top up' for these systems is 6L?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think it says minimum top up is 5.5 litres - something like that. Otherwise it doesn't reset the warning. Others have advised to drive around the block when nearly full and you can then get more in. I went to the OPC - which saved me getting it all over my trousers!
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

It does indeed say that but I can report that my warning disappeared after a messy couple of litres.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Hello all, 15.5k on the clock and i had the warning pop up too.

Excuse my site noob questions but is there a paticular brand to buy and how much does it cost doing it yourself as opposed to the OPC?
Only reason i ask is, my Macan is due its first MOT next month and was considering the OPC doing both at once as they are approved MOT station.

Thank you :)
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

r1flyguy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:08 pm Hello all, 15.5k on the clock and i had the warning pop up too.

Excuse my site noob questions but is there a paticular brand to buy and how much does it cost doing it yourself as opposed to the OPC?
Only reason i ask is, my Macan is due its first MOT next month and was considering the OPC doing both at once as they are approved MOT station.

Thank you :)
It's all the same stuff, regardless of where you get it. I have a 50 litre drum in my yard as we run HGV's. I bought a litre bottle from Amazon with the VW nozzle fitment (all VW, Audi, Porsche use the same fitment). I cut off the bottom, fitted it, and filled up using the hose from my drum. Piece of (pigs) piss. Don't get your trousers pulled down at the OPC, it really is very easy and cheap.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
johnd

Post by johnd »

BigPhil wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm Piece of (pigs) piss.
And humans of course.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly