Stelvio qf vs macan turbo po

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
rileyn

Post by rileyn »

Just seen Alfa stelvio qf has beaten the turbo - how many of you turbo / turbo pp owners would consider th Alfa as an alternative?. I get the giulia but the stelvio is a different beast altogether.

Also a strange timing with the new model due shortlyšŸ˜•

Neil

rileyn

Post by rileyn »

rileyn wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm Just seen Alfa stelvio qf has beaten the turbo in autocar - how many of you turbo / turbo pp owners would consider th Alfa as an alternative?. I get the giulia but the stelvio is a different beast altogether.

Also a strange timing with the new model due shortlyšŸ˜•

Neil
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

In a word ...... no.

Like the look of the Stelvio images I have but I have not seen one either on the road of at the dealer.

Guilio QF does sound and look good.

But

They are Alfas with all that goes with them.

For me there will always be that doubt, will it get me there and back? Will I loose 2 shedloads of cash during my period of ownership? Will it rot away?

Whilst the doubts probably have no reliance on actuals today, the doubts are still there.

Now, I get in my Turbo, drive, fill up with fuel, drive, fill up with fuel, drive, fill up with fuel.

On the road my Turbo has all the performance I need.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20ā€ wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Col Lamb wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Now, I get in my Turbo, drive, fill up with fuel, drive, fill up with fuel, drive, fill up with fuel.

A bit thirsty is it?!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Ian.g wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:12 pm

A bit thirsty is it?!
Nor really for a 400 bhp 2 tonne SUV.

So far average 23 mpg but that is not important to me.

My worries about an Alfa would be .... drive, fill up, drive, break down, have load car, pick up Alfa, drive, fill up, drive, fill up, break down, have loan car, still have loan car, pick up replacement Alfa .... etc.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20ā€ wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
eakae

Post by eakae »

I will definitely opt for a Stelvio QF if my current Macan proves to be as unreliable as my last one.

Iā€™ve had 3x Alfas since the 90s and the worst thing I once experienced in one of them was the battery dying. Otherwise my experience of their reliability has been a positive one and I would therefore have no qualms choosing one.

Understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personally when I see the Stelvio next to a Macan, I think the Macanā€™s design looks a little staid. Where the Macan towers above the Stelvio is the interior. I sat in a Stelvio (not a QF) and it looked quite plasticky. The experience in a Macan is far more grand and luxurious. However, I think the engine in the Stelvio QF trumps Macan PP.

My main reservation about Alfa ownership is the Alfa dealer network which I found to be awful. I mean really awful. Bringing the car in for a service was such a chore and a very expensive one. Even though the service team were pretty bad they looked great when compared with the sales team. (That said they were still better than North One who service Aston Martins and JLR cars!).

The Stelvio will Iā€™m sure depreciate more than a Macan. However, given some of the comments posted here about part exchange values being offered by OPCs as well as looking at the resale values of secondhand Cayenneā€™s I think itā€™s pretty evident that the depreciation on a Macan will still be quite heavy. If you also factor in that Alfa dealers are willing to offer discounts on a new Giulia QF or Stelvio compared with the no / low discounts offered by Porsche, your entry price will be lower than RRP. As such depreciation is a relative game where I might lose a few more Ā£s on a Stelvio but I wouldnā€™t allow that factor to cloud my decision.

Ultimately, I think both have there pros and cons but make no mistake both are great cars. If image is important to you then friends and family will be more ā€˜impressedā€™ if you say you have a Porsche than if you tell them youā€™ve just gone out and bought a new Alfa Romeo...
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
eakae

Post by eakae »

Col Lamb wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:21 pm
Ian.g wrote: ā†‘Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:12 pm

A bit thirsty is it?!
Nor really for a 400 bhp 2 tonne SUV.

So far average 23 mpg but that is not important to me.

My worries about an Alfa would be .... drive, fill up, drive, break down, have load car, pick up Alfa, drive, fill up, drive, fill up, break down, have loan car, still have loan car, pick up replacement Alfa .... etc.

You see this reminds me of my first 8 months of Macan Turbo ownership. It was a dreadful...
Current: Defender V8 CE
Sold: Macan Turbo PP
Back to OPC: Cayenne
Back to OPC: Macan Turbo
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

I once owned an Alfa. A lovely looking car and it never had a single issue, it would have several.
I would take it to the dealer to have problems rectified and I would get it returned with more problems then it went in with!

I just couldn't consider spending the sort of money I would on a Porsche on an Alfa.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

eakae wrote:I will definitely opt for a Stelvio QF if my current Macan proves to be as unreliable as my last one.

Iā€™ve had 3x Alfas since the 90s and the worst thing I once experienced in one of them was the battery dying. Otherwise my experience of their reliability has been a positive one and I would therefore have no qualms choosing one.

Understanding that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personally when I see the Stelvio next to a Macan, I think the Macanā€™s design looks a little staid. Where the Macan towers above the Stelvio is the interior. I sat in a Stelvio (not a QF) and it looked quite plasticky. The experience in a Macan is far more grand and luxurious. However, I think the engine in the Stelvio QF trumps Macan PP.

My main reservation about Alfa ownership is the Alfa dealer network which I found to be awful. I mean really awful. Bringing the car in for a service was such a chore and a very expensive one. Even though the service team were pretty bad they looked great when compared with the sales team. (That said they were still better than North One who service Aston Martins and JLR cars!).

The Stelvio will Iā€™m sure depreciate more than a Macan. However, given some of the comments posted here about part exchange values being offered by OPCs as well as looking at the resale values of secondhand Cayenneā€™s I think itā€™s pretty evident that the depreciation on a Macan will still be quite heavy. If you also factor in that Alfa dealers are willing to offer discounts on a new Giulia QF or Stelvio compared with the no / low discounts offered by Porsche, your entry price will be lower than RRP. As such depreciation is a relative game where I might lose a few more Ā£s on a Stelvio but I wouldnā€™t allow that factor to cloud my decision.

Ultimately, I think both have there pros and cons but make no mistake both are great cars. If image is important to you then friends and family will be more ā€˜impressedā€™ if you say you have a Porsche than if you tell them youā€™ve just gone out and bought a new Alfa Romeo...
Good to hear a balanced view. I am now an Alfa owner as many know and I think it is a thing of beauty. Youā€™re absolutely right about the interior quality though. Iā€™ve spent some time in a non-QF Giulia however, and the difference between that and the QF on the outside and inside is significant. The QF feels much more special.

That said, I would imagine that even the Stelvio QF will be a fair bit behind the Macan interior. From what Iā€™ve read and watched about the Stelvio QF, I think it would be fun to drive, for a fairly large SUV. 0-60 itā€™s faster than the Giulia 0-60 due to the 4wd! And like the Giulia QF, it sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The one good thing about buying an Alfa is that when setting up your PCP finance you can set the miles at 50% of your expected annual mileage. The other 50% you will cover in courtesy cars :lol: