Roof Cleaning

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MikeM wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 am IMG_0232.JPG πŸ‘πŸ˜‰
I have used something similar to this for the last 20 years.

It is a few inches taller than the Screwfix step stool and in the case of our beloved Macans, size matters :oops:
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

VanB

Post by VanB »

I used to use a baby set of step ladders to get to middle of the Macan roof and still do for the wife's Q5 but my drive is pavia so not an issue like it would be on a gravel drive. I have also used an old kitchen chair which is very stable but doesn't give quite the same sort of reach. Buffing is much easier if you are high enough to exert proper downward pressure and at 5'10" I am hardly a giant
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

alxgb wrote: ↑Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 am Hi All

Serious question and I expect some mocking for this but for those of you who clean your own cars, how do you get to those hard to reach areas on the roof? I have extension pieces on my pressure washer so that's not an issue but it's hand washing with a mitt that is a bit of a pain. I'm 6' and I find that working toward the middle of the roof is quite difficult and I keep missing bits, which I only find when I've blow dried the car so fortunately, not swirled the roof using that approach but I don't want to have to go back and clean again if I can get it first time.

Thinking about getting a folding stool from Screwfix as a solution but thought I'd see if anyone had some clever idea in use already.

I could use a ladder but the risk of it sliding or moving on a gravel driveway and scratching the car doesn't appeal.

Thanks

Alex
I use a work platform. The one I have is about knee height which is perfect.

Safe and secure. Don’t have to keep moving it around too much as you can walk across.
And I use it in the garage to get to some of the very high shelf’s so serves multiple purpose.

Homebase do them.

FA7EDADE-352F-476E-AB1C-3C7AFD1A000A.jpeg

GTS πŸ˜€
The Bairn

Post by The Bairn »

I find this useful, use as a step if needed on one side, but also as a seat while doing the wheels when turned the other way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Lift-C-280 ... B00F74IP74
Ordered 19th September '14
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFSWD9B5
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Clearly I'm not alone or though it seems that I have T-Rex arms in not being able to reach the centre of the roof! properly! :D

I think I'm going to go with the small Screwfix step. A fiver doesn't seem much of a risk although the aluminium work platform seems a good shout too. I'm just about there without rubbing up against the side of the car and I would probably be ok to reach the middle if I did but I prefer to work down on a surface as opposed to across as I can just see better.

I got one of these aprons on special with an order of detailing supplies I purchased some weeks back and once you overcome the feeling that you're Bungle from Rainbow, it's actually quite good when you're leaning at full stretch across a roof or bonnet.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Does that apron do away with the need for a drying towel then?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Paul wrote: ↑Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am Does that apron do away with the need for a drying towel then?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
The step is actually to help me launch on to the roof and allow me to slide across the roof and down the bonnet on my stomach. With better technique, I feel I can dry 70% of the car in a single movement. :lol: :lol:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

alxgb wrote: ↑Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 am
Paul wrote: ↑Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am Does that apron do away with the need for a drying towel then?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚
The step is actually to help me launch on to the roof and allow me to slide across the roof and down the bonnet on my stomach. With better technique, I feel I can dry 70% of the car in a single movement. :lol: :lol:
If thats how you clean and dry the paintwork the mind boggles over what you do to the exhaust!

:lol:
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

alxgb wrote: ↑Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 am
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Kasfranks99, I like that work platform, will check it out if tall enough for me. :)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Paul

Post by Paul »

Reminds me of an old ad from when I was in France......

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465