Roof Cleaning

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Taz wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:11 am :oops: I'm cleaning my car next week before it goes to the detailer - as I don't want to be embarrassed and have him think that I can't clean a car
Isn't value for money turning up with something that needs the dirt chiselled off?

Taz

Post by Taz »

Isn't value for money turning up with something that needs the dirt chiselled off?
Sounds like an old girlfriend I knew :lol:
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
DavidRS

Post by DavidRS »

Back to a serious question. Alxgb, you mentioned in your opening post you blow dried the car. Which make and model do you have and are they good. I've been thinking of buying one of the "Big Boi" heated dryers from Ultimate Finish or "Air Force Blasters" from Car Dryers UK. The water filters from Race Glaze, previously discussed on the forum, are good but some times the car also needs drying.
GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH3ZXZG8 - collected April 2016
Diesel S - http://www.porsche-code.com/pff7qh97 - sold September 2015
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

DavidRS wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 pm Back to a serious question. Alxgb, you mentioned in your opening post you blow dried the car. Which make and model do you have and are they good. I've been thinking of buying one of the "Big Boi" heated dryers from Ultimate Finish or "Air Force Blasters" from Car Dryers UK. The water filters from Race Glaze, previously discussed on the forum, are good but some times the car also needs drying.
I've used an Air Force Blaster for over a year now and found it to be very robust and effective. Car Dryers also supplied a mounting trolley on good size castors, and the dryer moves easily even across gravel to follow me around. There's knack to using the dryer with a microfibre towel, quickly learnt by trial and error. Where the dryer excels is in drying reveals, crevices and wheels, pretty much eliminating dribbles appearing. Best to wear ear defenders when using, especially on wheels, if you value your hearing.
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Rab J wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:53 am I have always stood on the rear tyre when washing any of the SUVs I've owned. Any bits missed at the front I find I can reach from the front door tread plate.
Rear wheel perching works for me too. Cheap, effective, quick and good proof of agility in "middle age". Until you lean too far and slide off the wheel. Always fun to live dangerously.
pj191k89
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Taz wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:01 pm
Sounds like an old girlfriend I knew :lol:
:lol:
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

DavidRS wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 pm Back to a serious question. Alxgb, you mentioned in your opening post you blow dried the car. Which make and model do you have and are they good. I've been thinking of buying one of the "Big Boi" heated dryers from Ultimate Finish or "Air Force Blasters" from Car Dryers UK. The water filters from Race Glaze, previously discussed on the forum, are good but some times the car also needs drying.
I use a Metro Master Blaster - it's 8hp and delivers quite a bit of force at the nozzle - it'll depress a door panel if you concentrate the air at the centre. All my cars are black or grey and always have been so I am conditioned to being careful so I don't swirl the paint but I got fed up with the ritual of drying cloths and our utility room looking like a commercial laundry after I'd washed a car.

One of the advantages of a blower is that you're minimising contact with the paint and unlike towels, if you're drying outside, there is no risk of airborne particles that have settled post wash being dragged over the paint or towels picking up contaminants. Microfibre towels are designed to trap debris so invariably, you'll end up with grit in the fabric of the towel even when you pat dry panels so they need replacement from time to time. Particularly if you drop them or put them on a surface that isn't clean. Which has never happened to me of course. ;)

I wouldn't be without a blower now - it saves me a huge amount of washing and drying of waffle/microfibre towels and it's just more effective as it drives water out of recesses and shut lines. The air is warm as well so it dissipates any standing water very quickly.

It's interesting to see the difference in finishes and how the water comes off - I'm amazed at how quickly I can dry one of my cars that is ceramic coated versus those that are waxed or PPF'd. I guess I need to rewax the others or decontaminate them with a clay bar but I can get the Macan (including shuts and recesses) done in less than 10 minutes.

You don't need the Master Blaster, the standard model is more than good enough but I like the option of being able to reduce the power for doing the internal edges of doors. If you aim it at carpet on full power, you'll extract every ounce of dust and swirl it through the cabin and into places debris may not have found itself ordinarily.

My recommendation is to ensure you get a trolley with it - Master Blaster comes with it as standard. It gets the body off the ground and it's helpful as you pull it round the car. I'm on pea shingle so it's not perfect but the wheels are nylon and equivalent to what you'd find on a skateboard. I'd also recommend the MetroVac bag - it's well made and contains everything neatly.

I think the greatest failing of the MB is that the hose is attached to the exhaust with a jubilee clip. When you move the MB around the vehicle, you'll probably end up pulling it about by the hose versus picking it up and moving it from point to point. Add to this the force at the exhaust point, the hose will pop off and you invariably have to reattach it with the jubilee clip. Even when I remember to pick it up and move it versus pulling it around the car, I have the hose pop off 2-3 times on average drying a car. It surely can't be that hard to design some form of coupling with retaining clips but I wonder if the velocity of the air coming out would cause the plastic to fail over time. Other than that, it's well made and mine hasn't skipped a beat in 5 years.

I would suggest wearing ear defenders when you use it - it is very loud and over certain surfaces, they act like a parabolic reflector and amplifies the noise which is quite uncomfortable. I'd also be very careful moving it around and have the nozzle aimed upward - it's a hassle turning it on and off all the time but it'll spray stone or any debris/dust on the ground all over the place and likely your car if you're unlucky. It's very easy to do and you have to have a hold of the pipe otherwise it will thrash around under the force of the motor.

If you have any questions or want to see any pictures, happy to oblige.

Alex
DavidRS

Post by DavidRS »

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a dryer is next on my list of car cleaning equipment. Thanks again.
GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH3ZXZG8 - collected April 2016
Diesel S - http://www.porsche-code.com/pff7qh97 - sold September 2015
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

DavidRS wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 pm Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a dryer is next on my list of car cleaning equipment. Thanks again.
Colin at Car Dryers is excellent and unlike box shifters, has direct experience of the products and can advise knowledgeably.

Let us know how you get on.